1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TinyHunt #8

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Mar 4, 2018.

1. dichotomousCreator

dichotomousCreator Second Year

High Score:
    I mean, that's not particularly controversial is it? That when there's a more or less locked in lynch it tends to defer fact-finding and other standard gameplay etc. to the next day because that stuff kinda relies on the lynch being active? I'm not sure what's so weird about this tbh

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

[​IMG]

3. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Every argument you make is fallacious. You did not simply ask tom a question "out of curiosity," it had a purpose, regardless of your alignment. You attempt to backtrack too far when Tom correctly called you out on your aggressive tone and came up with something blatantly untrue. You again tried to correct your tone, this time with more bravado, when I brought up a tone based concern. You claimed to have an issue with me comparing you to a game that occurred 6 months ago, when that is the only game I've played with you. You tried to deflect by mentioning time concerns, thought that has nothing to do with my read on you. You used the words "it's disappointing" like you have any reason or right to be disappointed with me about this or anything. And then you attempted to follow up on your bravado when you weren't sure how to react to my response.

I am going to lynch you.

4. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Thank.
    --- Post automerged ---
    You referring to this?
    Because it reads much more like "don't clear fonti too easily for something that's NAI" than "fonti more likely bussing".

5. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    Note to self: have long conversation with people about how tinyhunt works before signing up for tinyhunt again.

6. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Squib

You're mistaken. I don't know if its because you're upset, or if you're even upset, but that's a false narrative you've created that you're trying to attribute to me.

I use the word "curious" a lot. It means "eager to know or learn something". Telling someone "I'm curious as to why you did this" does NOT imply the question does not have a purpose. I was curious whether it was a specific moment in the game that made him change because I'm in the process of reading up, and I'm not particularly enjoying myself in dredging through sorting out 12 mostly new names in my head, so learning that he hadn't intended to give as much effort made me want to know if it was a point I was going to reach soon.

How did I "backtrack too far?" How is anything I've said blatantly untrue? When have I tried to correct my tone? I've been laid back because I don't want to base reads off of stuff that happened in D1, so that necessitates a bit of letting things go while I finish formulating opinions, but responding to a read of me falsely based on a game 6 months ago doesn't fall within that.

I don't have a right to have my disappointment affect you in any way, but I certainly have a right to feel disappointed when you base your read of me off something less than my expectation of you. I've liked what I've seen so far of you. I liked the thought process in your earlier posts. My expectation may have been wrong, but feeling disappointed to have it broken *is* my right.

Feel free to think I'm scum. That's *your* right. Lynching me is a mistake. Trying to lynch me is a mistake. That said, I can see where both of those would come from in this game. What I *can't* see is that false narrative you're painting for yourself.
    --- Post automerged ---
    In mountainous, sorting things out is simple. There's town, and there's wolves. Wolves wanna look like they're town, but their agenda will invariable reveal itself in their posts. Catching up in mountainous means reading each post and determining whether it's more likely to come from a town agenda or a wolf agenda. That's doable.

Here, there's 13 new roles and 13 new players with new mechanics and implications of those mechanics that need to be accounted for. Reading through isn't just figuring out whether someone is making a post because of a town agenda or wolf agenda. It's not figuring out whether there is deception, but figuring out who the deception is intended for. This soup mechanic is literally twisted backwards. I'm not even trying to complain. I signed up for this because it seemed interesting, and I intend to stick it through. I'd just like you to *maybe* consider that comparing my game here to a mountainous setup isn't exactly fair to me, even if it is the only game you've played with me.

7. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Ok, yeah.

I don't think we actually approach her too much differently wrt the body of work thing. You just have way more experience with her behind your process. This game has been such a stark contrast to Princess. I understood /nothing/ about what she was doing that game and here I have felt that I understood her pretty comfortably right from the beginning.

Maybe I need more games with her to figure out if that always = her being town. If it doesn't then I guess it would tie into your point of "clicking" not necessarily meaning anything about her alignment, but, that is also your thing and not necessarily mine, so. I am also kind of listening to Reg here and going with him on understanding/agreeing being +town. And I /really/ don't think her number 1 agenda coming into this game was "pocket Gemma".

This is also related to my sharkswim gif in that I'm really unlike you wrt reading people by their reads on me. I actually really disagree with your process there even though I think you're way ahead of the curve with basically everything else. I find it easier to read people by their reads on me and interactions with me than just about anything I think.

So, this isn't really going to be reasoning you can follow/understand I don't think but for me, basically everything about the way we've interacted this game has felt like our hydra game that we just finished. And the way she got to her townread on me here and the way she talked about it + pushed back on Stanari/Jan/tom over their reads on me I don't think happens if she is mafia.

Like, her angle was "I understand Gemma as a person therefore she is town here" which is both very nuanced and not at all compelling on the face of things. It's not a read that looks ~good~ in any particular way to anyone else or makes a ton of sense logically.

And I know from our conversations together that she isn't going to go out of her way to defend me as either alignment so the fact that she did that tells me it's something she felt really strongly about. And I don't think she would have cared that much or put that kind of energy into doing that if she were mafia. Especially the response to Jan where she's just like, "no, no, no, no, I can't grasp how you don't get this".

I could probably talk a bunch more about this but I don't think I need to. That's kind of the real meat of my read on her anyway.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I do actually get a lot out of people reading me; for example, shadow's push on me was extremely wolfy and Cobalt's was extremely villagery. Knowing you're town and knowing you're you is a valuable part of reading someone's read on you, and those reads can be valid.

I just don't need to directly interact with someone to actually do that.

I... somewhat agree with the process behind your read on fonti.

I think my fundamental point of disagreement - and it's not even disagreement, really, just like... caution - is that fonti is very good at understanding how people are approaching the game on a fairly deep level, and it doesn't have a ton to do with her alignment.

Not saying she's a wolf here. I have her as fairly strong town, actually. Just that her surprising you with the way she's approached you this game isn't, like, exclusively a town thing.

Have you rolled v/w against fonti? Curiosity, not trying to tell you you're flat wrong or something.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Explain?

9. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

[​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    Well, that turned out really huge.

10. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I haven't no. I've read some of her wolf games (more of her wolf games than her town games) and she's told me stories, so am aware of what she's capable of doing. And she's just... extremely perceptive as a person. Like, the most noticeably perceptive person I have ever known, by far. So. (Actually, Plotinus comes close.)

It's not that I don't think she's capable of understanding me as mafia or giving a nuanced read... that's just silly. I just don't think that's how it happened here. There's too much she would have to fake on too specific a level. Am not really capable of describing what that level is, sorry. But she would have had to have gone out of her way to make it happen how it did and would have had to have tailored her play to get me townread her in a very specific way that I think would also have a really high chance of backfiring.

I kind of don't want to belabor this. You're right that she's capable of doing the stuff I describe generically speaking as mafia. At a certain point though I'm just like, yeah ok, am going to follow this read where I feel like it's taking me and put aside the little niggles because I don't think they're helpful or meaningful.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Good response babe.

Very poignant.

11. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Just gonna go ahead and say it's not gross at all to me and I'm not fully sure why you think it is but I don't really care about that part.

Heres how Im seeing it:
    When someone was suspecting thug, DC soft defended him, saying the lurking was NAI.
    And when thug replaced, DC had this theory he had never talked about (in fact took the time to say the opposite unbidden) that thug was lurker scum, but guess not if he's so busy.

The options I'm looking at:
    -DC is scum with thug, wanted to stop any push on him for lurking. But when it was over tried to sneak in some retroactive push to look good i guess
    -DC is scum just saying things that sound good. Thugs alignment probably doesn't matter
    -same as above, but DC is town?

Like I went and looked in thugs iso for what posts he made between those DC posts.
    There was 1 (technically 2 but the first was "catching up" basically and then the catchup).
    It was... idk fine it looked like a thug post iirc. But more importantly... DC didn't even comment.

I guess you're coming down on the side of the third option. Which, could totally be right I'm just...
    I don't buy it idk I'm on the second option for... basically the entirety of his play
    --- Post automerged ---
    Uh... Yeah.
    That.

I especially like the part where she said I was correct
    --- Post automerged ---
    Think this is like my 5th hunt and I'm just starting to get it. And really that's only a mechanical understanding I'm not there on strategy.
    I did that fakeclaim thing in the last one that I thought for sure someone would call townie since I was actively learning the setup but no one noticed. :/
    It did help though
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh god all the euros are dying I have no one to talk to in my most active hours...

Vaimes wake up

12. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    You could talk to me if you stopped scumreading me :v

(I mean I guess you still can but like, as far as I can tell you made up your mind in the "I think this is a decent go at freewheeling wolf play" or w/e the hell it was post

but maybe you can get stuff you think is spew from me? C'mon, it's gotta be better than nothing)

but no in my case it's more because I can count three times this game I am pretty sure I've run into "whoops don't do that for soup reasons" things (I bet saying this out loud makes it four for reasons I don't know about! >_>) that haven't historically set off alarm bells in other anticlaim games.

OTOH my last two anticlaim games were lost to soup, so maybe I just wasn't yelled at because it was a town that overall loses to soup >_>

13. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Don’t worry tom, I’ll protect you from dC.

14. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Oh hi guys.
    --- Post automerged ---
    DC I think you should just go Jan style and not spew your role by spewing yourself all of them
    You know, if you're town or whatever

15. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    What? Nah, I'd probably vig Asmodeus if anyone.

Oh, whoops.

On it.

16. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

(You're supposed to add the "oh, whoops" in an automerge.

...we talked about this, dude.)
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh, whoops.

17. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    Great, I can't even spew right :v
    --- Post automerged ---
    ...uh, that came out somewhat differently than intended.

18. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Maybe not immediately ending this Day was useful after all.

19. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Debatable.
    --- Post automerged ---
    <3

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

[​IMG]