1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witchhunt Signups

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by KaiDASH, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I managed to sign up by just entering my name and chosen password. But....am I supposed to do anything now? What is this supposed to say?

http://i.imgur.com/lqSWT.png

---------- Post automerged at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

So, it still doesn't work. I'm requesting either a role that allows me to never use that site again or I can just bow out....

2. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Yeah...

Active Lynch: Lungs

3. Ash

Nevermind. I did absolutely nothing to fix it, and now it works. Browsers, how do they work?

4. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Will you have time to play this game, Ash?

---------- Post automerged at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Also, so we need two more! Can't wait to get this started.

5. Ash

Yup. I leave Atlanta on Tuesday night, so from Wednesday on, I will have loads of time.

I dropped out of PH because there were just too many posts I missed and then didn't want to read. I actually enjoy the way we play on DLP, and I doubt I will be playing any mafia games on other sites in the future.

6. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

I posted the rules a page or so back; here's a link to the same on a crappy unfinished blog.

All public discussion is here. All private discussion (such as Witches chatting about who they want to kill) takes place in QTs, which Moscone provides links to.

Everything else, including voting, takes place in Moscone. Heck, let's take a tour.

If you opened up the example game (which is finished with a Witch victory) you'd see this:

[​IMG]

This is what you generally are looking at in Moscone. Note that it is very compact, allowing you to view it in a small window next to the discussion if you want. Or just leave it in another tab, whatever.

At any rate, apart from general game information, two things stand out: the clock and the grid. The clock normally shows a yellow countdown ominously ticking down to the next deadline. If it hasn't passed yet, you can click it to check the "minimum deadline", which displays in green.

The big grid is where the magic happens. Every living player is listed here, along with who they are voting for and how many votes each player has on them. For example, at the end of this game Karkat was voting for Fluttershy. Double click on a player to vote for them. Double clicking again on the same target will remove your vote.

The second tab (not shown) contains 3 more tabs, which contain grids for the King's Court, Witch Coven, or Angels (dead players) to vote for their Nightly stuff in exactly the same way. If you aren't in these groups, you won't see anything there. (Mostly--the Angel grid will still show you a helpful list of players who have died, and in what order.)

Let's look at the same screen logged in as Fluttershy.

[​IMG]

The buttons at the bottom are slightly different--now they are labeled with Fluttershy's role and link directly to the appropriate rules pages. The role button (Inquisitor) is flashing red, indicating that there is something new to do or look at.

The Game Links button links to the QTs Fluttershy has access to, and should also blink red whenever there are new QTs to be aware of.

Let's click that role button. (Inquisitor)

[​IMG]

The rules page for each role lists its rules, a description, and art. However, the player with that role will also see their private information here. As we can see on the left, all of Fluttershy's check results are available here--only Fluttershy can see this.

The button below is where Fluttershy can select the next check target; currently, no one is selected. Clicking that button results in...

[​IMG]

...an expected dialog box of all legal options. (In this case, all living players.) Fluttershy can set the next Inquisitor target here, but can change the selection freely until the end of Night. (When the result is returned)

Some roles have no need for targets/buttons, and some require multiple. A role with multiple buttons will have them numbered in priority: For example, the Martyr role can jump in and die in someone's place. For most the game, the Martyr will probably leave all four of their buttons to "None". But if the Martyr someday sets #1 to Alice and #2 to Bobby, they will be on guard to willingly jump in should either of them die--with preference to Alice.

The "Notes" button in the bottom-right corner of the main view links to the last rules page, which is a special customized page that only players can see:

[​IMG]

There are two important things here: The first is the giant text field on the left. This field saves to the server, but there is literally nothing important about it as far as the game is concerned; it is simply a space to record notes. If you choose to use it, it is initialized with a simple list of every player's name.

Some players prefer to use a personal QT for notes, or some similar device. Cool; why not then just use your notes space as a place to permanently record the link?

On the right side in your "watch list"; a prioritized list of the players you most suspect are Witches, or at least would most like to die. This does matter mechanically, because one role (Sunlight Pagan) asks other dying players to suddenly kill a target--if this happens to you, your target choice will be pulled off of your watch list.

[​IMG]

Finally, the last tab in Moscone provides you with a rich, sort-able game log. You can see every event, kill, and even vote listed.

You are only shown what you are allowed to see in your log. For example, before the game ended, Fluttershy would not be able to see half the stuff here: Fluttershy wouldn't know who killed Dad and Rarity Night 1 (only that they were found dead the next morning), and would know that the Judge lynched Eridan, but not that the Judge was Jake. There would certainly be no vision of who is in the Court and Coven, nor who the Angel protected, ect. But Fluttershy would see her own Inquisitor checks listed!

Of course, this game is over, at which point everyone is allowed to see everything.

I think that's about it?

It doesn't just formalize it, it completely automates it. It does everything, you'll never have to wait on me. If everything goes according to plan, I

But this is still new enough (however heavily tested) that I'll be watching like a hawk, making sure everything does indeed behave as it should. I'll also be fully available for answering questions and collecting feedback, which is highly valued.

Edit: Hm, this forum doesn't seem to support embedded images. But you know, frankly, thank God. I can appreciate that.

Edit 2: I have no idea when we are starting or what deadlines to use.

Edit 3 just kidding still Edit 2: CheddarTrek, Geabe, and shudder are afaik the only people who have signed up not on the VIP list KaiDASH gave me. If yall intend on throwing them out into an alley, I can call a guy. Otherwise I'm going ahead with my time-tested "do nothing" plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  7. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I actually have no idea who shudder is - could that person please post in here?

Cheddar and Geabe are ok to play assuming that people from the list don't appear and want spots.

Start can be whenever suits you, deadlines probably 4 days / 1 day with a 2 day first night.

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome to the 21st century DLP!Mafia :awesome

9. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Alright, I'm gonna have to drop out. I expected this to start earlier and now I'm swamped with work for the coming week. Anyways, have fun and hopefully this should let CheddarTrek or Gaebe grab a spot, preferably CheddarTrek :p

If you guys can't find enough players, I'm sure I can find enough time to play the game to a sufficient level of involvement (just not as much as I'd like which is why I'm dropping out).

10. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

:facepalm

/10 char

11. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

Someone bailed, we are down to 27.

I set it tentatively to 5 day Day (1 day min) / 2 day Night (1 day min). This can be changed at any time.

I just got done seeding the QTs, so we're ready to go on this end.

12. KaiDASH

i just registered too!

13. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

This will be interesting. Looking forward for the game to start.

14. Geabe

Geabe Guest

I have questions regarding the rules.

Regarding the Priest's check: It is mentioned that the King's Court behaves like a second coven. Does the Check on a King's Court member classify as a Coven result?

Regarding the King's Court: Could you say specifically when the Court discussion board is set up? (ie there are roles which automatically belong to the Court, do they get to discuss initially or does the King have to select players and then gain the Court QT?)
    Also, when do selected players receive the Court QT?

Regarding the Martyr: Does the Martyr have to declare a save before a kill is effected?
    About the role ability of the Martyr, assume the player saved is player X. Then, if on the same night, Y dies by Witches kill, while X is targeted by both the Hunter and the King's Court, does the Martyr Save take one kill away from X, while Y dies, and X dies as well, making for three deaths that Night?

Regarding the Henchman: What does "they will see you as well" mean?

Regarding the Templar: Who is a revealed Pagan?

Regarding the Vigilante: By wording, the mislynches do not have to be consecutive for the Vigilante kill to take effect, is that correct?

Regarding the Spies and the Junior Witches: I am slightly confused by the moscone system. What is the time difference between the Spies and the Junior Witches joining the Witch Coven, and what is the difference in information presented?

And just to confirm, the Night actions are as follows:
    1. Any form of QTs given out to roles with joining ability (Including Spies and Junior Witches).
    2. Any form of protection given by roles or the Angels.
    3. Extra life protection.
    4. All kills are effected (meaning no piercing kill). Extra lives are only subtracted where no priority 2 protection is administered.
    5. All forms of checks.

My apologies if I missed any information which would answer these questions.

15. KaiDASH

@ Geabe

King's court does not count as a coven for the purposes of Priest or Bishop.

There is a King's court qt set up for the king, queen and duke at the start of the game. At the start of night 1 when king picks the other 4 members of the court, a new qt is issued for them.

Martyr automatically happens if a person you have selected to save is to die, and if the person you selected would die from multiple causes they still live because of the 'The saved player cannot die until another player is announced dead first' clause.

At the end of night 1, Henchman learns the following: Identity of Inquisitor, Identity of Oracle, target & result of Inq/Oracle powers. At the same time, Inq and Oracle learn the identity of the Henchman.

The Oracle and Inq share a QT with the henchman from the start of day 1 (to be 100% clear, there is a Oracle-Henchman qt and a Inq-Henchman qt, but no shared qt for inq-oracle).

A revealed pagan is any pagan (sunlight, moonlight, twilight) who has activated their power.

Correct, for current vigilante, the lynches do not have to be consecutive.

Spies/JW: The end result is that the following information is known to each of the following

Original Coven knows: Identities of the spies, identities of the JW
    Spies know: Identities of the original coven, identities of the JW
    JW knows: Original Coven + Spies, with no distinction between them.

So the JW's will join the coven to find that Sam (a spy) and Billy (an original coven witch) are pointing at each other screaming 'THIS GUY IS THE SPY LETS KILL HIM'.

I'm not sure what you mean by night actions?

edit: slight disclaimer that I'm not intimately familiar with the game system, so maybe some things that are wrong. I'm sure chocopi will be happy to correct things.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  16. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

It operates like the Coven, but it isn't literally a second "Coven".

King, Queen, Duke start the game with a QT. Every time Court membership changes, including at the start of N1 when the King picks go through, a new court QT is assigned.

Yes. (No time travel!)

The devil's in the details: The exact Martyr role text is "The saved player cannot die until another player is announced dead first." Once saved, that player is invincible until morning no matter what, as that is when the deaths are announced.

Not only do you see them and their check+results, they also see you watching them. Aka you know they are the Inquisitor/Oracle, and they know you are the Henchman.

A Pagan who has revealed themselves to use their role power, as their rules text lays out.

This is correct.

The difference is one of microseconds, but that's all it takes. It's a matter of permissions, take the example game log:

Code:
    Spies Karkat and Dirk jumped into the Witch Coven!
    Junior Witches Jade, Jaspers, and Aradia joined the Witch Coven.
    The Witch Coven currently includes Roxy, Beq, Karkat, Dirk, Jade, Jaspers, and Aradia. 
    The Village Spies and Elder Witches can see all of that. However, the Junior Witches can't see the first line, since they hadn't joined yet. Ergo, the Junior Witches have no way of knowing whether Roxy/Beq are the Spies, or Karkat/Dirk. (It has to be one or the other, since both pairs will be screaming accusations in the Coven chat.)

Aside: The fact that that role call has their names "in order" is a crazy coincidence; I freaked out and had to go check to make sure it is randomizing properly!

This isn't really a "Night action"--whenever you should have access to a (new) QT, Moscone enables that.

These aren't really "Night actions" either. There's no need to think of it in terms of priorities, everything just goes down exactly as the defender would prefer it to. (Assuming the defender wants not to die)

Here's everything that (can) happen at Night:

Code:
    Start
    -----
    *Living Vigilante's trigger announced.
    *King selects Court.
    *Queen is informed about Witch numbers on Court.
    *Dead Duke's replacement is instated; Duke joins Angels late.
    *Village Spies join the Coven.
    *Junior Witches Join the Coven.
    A Coven roll call is made.
    A Court roll call is made.
    Code:
    End
    ---
    Angel protection target determined/recorded.
    Gravedigger gets info.
    Priest gets Coven check result.
    *Bishop gets Coven list.
    *Thief attempts to transfer an extra life.
    Inquisitor gets Holy check result.
    Oracle gets guess result.
    Henchman notification posted.
    *Moonlight Pagan queued reveal activation.
    Witch, Court, *Hunter, *Vigilante Kills occur.
    Obviously the majority of these events only happen once; I put an asterisk by such.

Note that the kills are set up as if they happen simultaneously; the only case it would matter is where the Moonlight Pagan made the Witches give an extra life to someone targeted by someone else. (They get the extra life first.)

The order in which kills (successful or not) are announced in the morning is randomized.

So a whole lot of concerns and issues can by answered with "Doesn't matter since it will never happen."

Like say, what happens if Leeroy attempts to lynch himself, or no one? Sure, there's correct answers to that question; I had to explicitly program all sorts of things like that to make sure the system can't break, but that responsibility doesn't make it any less obtuse or meaningless. The true answer is "Leeroy would never actually do that."

This especially applies to Martyr. There are a million "can the Martyr save this guy?" and "does the Martyr-protected target live if..." questions. We could have an hour long conversation where we come up with a bunch of crazy situations and I go look up the programming dictating them, but the real answer remains "Does not apply, because no group in their right mind is ever going to even waste time trying to kill a Martyr-protected person." I could probably have saved a ton of time and not even actually programmed Martyr protection into the game, and no one would ever know!

Even edge cases as basic as "Court and Coven kill the same target" are incredibly unlikely in actual games, since there is typically next to zero overlap between players that each side would be considering killing. (You lynch and court kill non-townish-people, and the Witches kill townish-people.)

17. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I'm registered now.

18. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Registered, looking forward to this starting!

19. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

We need one more to start!

20. KaiDASH

the game actually supports any amount of people between (i believe) 7 and 30, but yes, 1 more would be nice.