1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another time-travel fic request

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Poorfox, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Poorfox

Poorfox First Year

I've always been a fan of time-travel fics, and there's a fair few out there, if not as many as I'd like - but they all seem to start from the same point in an AU future. I've looked a fair amount, but can't find anything where Harry comes back from within canon - that is, during the Hogwarts years. The closest things I've found are when he's returned at the end of an AU seventh year, or after an alternate DH ending. I especially wanted to find where he returns from the earlier years - before OotP, to his first year.

Anyone know of one such as this?

If I'm being a failtastic - and blind - retard here, I'm very sorry for wasting your time, and will accept the communal stoning and verbal assault with the deference that DLP is rightly due. But like I said, I've looked, and looked, and not found this specific little niche. Will I have to try to write it myself if I want it?

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, there is Unknown Memories -- it's not time-travel per se, but Harry receives future memories and changes the present, to avoid that future. It's Harry/Katie, set in Harry's fourth year, and desperately needs to be updated.

Then there's Harry Potter and the Second Time Around, but I think that's abandoned and ... well. The funny thing is though, it beats the current incarnations of Harry/Many easily, despite its age.

And of course, there are SilverAegis' Harry/Fem!Harry-stories and its clones, but that's not time-travel, rather AU-travel. All in all, I think it's done surprisingly few times, which is odd, considering that the usual pitfall of any time-travel-story is the rehash, and having Harry return later could neatly and easily sidestep that issue.

Edit: Er, wait -- I just realised that I might've misunderstood you. Were you looking for time-travel where the jump starts within Hogwarts years, or where the jump ends within Hogwarts years?

Edit2: Yeah, I think you meant the former, my bad. Disregard my links, then. Although truthfully, I don't see the sense in going back in time while Harry's still in Hogwarts ... first of all, he can't know the uber!timeritual, and then, why would he want or need to? Jumping from 4th year back into 1st year? There's no real motivation I can see.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

hmm, as a fellow fan of TT stories I am surprised I haven't read that many. Actually I have read a few returning after OotP but that was way back in the day and I recall they were quite shoddy.

But now you've got things running in my head... as if I don't have seven timetravel/au stories already to write.

4. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Timely Errors by Worfe is a very good time traveling fic, featuring Harry in his 6th year going back to his parent's time.

5. Poorfox

Poorfox First Year

@Grubdubdub: not quite what I was after, since I wanted Harry going back within his own timeline, but thanks anyway. It's better than most fics featuring Harry among the marauders that I've seen, if I remember correctly.

@nuhuh: yuss. I share your pain - always more things to write than time to write them in. : (

@Sesc: yeah, that's what I meant - although what I wanted it for was because I thought that Harry being halfway through school was a good thing. Sure, no uber!ritual, but an accident, maybe with a hippogriff, a tire iron, and several square feet of corrugated iron, could, by the rules of fanfiction, make something happen to knock him backwards in time. He wouldn't be ridiculously overpowered, but would look like a genius; be immature enough to make the most of things without fearing consequences, and, best of all, wouldn't be moping over future events.

Ah well, what I'm after probably isn't around. If I ever get to finishing my current fic I may give writing one a go.

6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Time Turned by Rheniel reviews
    A single moment of distraction in third year means Harry doesn't notice the time turner - until he jumps and manages to spin it. He's sent back to his eleven-year old self, and doesn't remember... or does he?
    Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Adventure/General - Chapters: 3 - Words: 12,260 - Reviews: 105 - Updated: 5-11-05 - Published: 12-4-04 - Harry P. & Hermione G.

It's been four years since the last update, so it's probably save to say it's abandoned. But it's the only fic that comes to mind at the moment.

7. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know of one: It's the one I wrote, HP & The Time Snafu (Blatant self-aggrandizement alert!).

But you wouldn't care about that.