1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Complete You Only Live Twice by Raeigh - T - A:TLA

Discussion in 'Other Review Board' started by masterpeng, Oct 5, 2017.

1. masterpeng

masterpeng Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: You Only Live Twice
    Author: Raeigh
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: Avatar: The Last Airbender
    Pairings: None
    Summary: After defeating Fire Lord Ozai, Aang learns that his journey had only been a test of his worthiness. He awakens in his present- 100 years in the past- and must defeat Fire Lord Sozin in order to save his people. Two-shot.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8249685/1/You-Only-Live-Twice

Admittedly I rarely look for Avatar fanfiction, even though I love that show and still think it is the best cartoon with a well paced story line mixed with just the right amount of action, adventure and friendship, but the fandom is overfilled with poorly written "Zutara" stories or downright embarrassing "what-if" AUs. Anyway, I did come across this fic and I found it amazing. Yes, this kinda fits the (especially in Harry Potter fanfiction) overused time-travel archetype, but the story does add a lot of creative world-building elements, like how Aang also has to learn the culture and traditions of the other nations and not only master those elements, but trying to live like a citizen of said nation.
    It realistically describes, how the war could have gone differently if Aang had been present, though with the maturity he developed through the spirit journey.

Honestly, I consider this fic one of, if not the best story I found in Avatar fanfiction. It's short, but ends the plot in a great way and definitely fits for a quick good read, so check it out! 5/5

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

It's definitely an interesting AU and you can see the thought put into crafting the world. It's biggest problem is being too rushed - a lot of the big character development moments are glossed over in a few hundred words which hurts the weight of those scenes. However, it did do its ending some justice, so there's that. It's technical execution isn't all that good, but it's passable enough that if you enjoy the ATLA universe, you won't mind too much. I think it's 3.5/5, rounding up to 4 - YMMV though.

3. Stealthy

Stealthy Third Year

3/5, no higher. And that's rounding up.

The AU is unoriginal but the concept of the Avatar needing to absorb the culture as well as the bending arts makes sense and was handled decently. But it was far too short to actually service that idea beyond just introducing it. The conclusion was good, but again, that's a compliment to the concept not the execution. Sure, not everything needs to be a full novel. There are plenty of good one and two shots out there, but they're one-shots that are crafted to be one-shots. They are concentrated and focused with a story that befits the length. This was not.

You Only Live Twice is a very nice and detailed outline for a story. I'd be more interested in the full tale than what we got, as the full tale could actually do the ideas the author had justice.

4. Stealthy

Stealthy Third Year

On second thought, going down to 2/5. Frankly this isn't a full story because it's just missing so much. It glosses over everything, and concepts poorly executed are to be held accountable for what they are. Also not really huge on the Avatar's Friend being a reincarnating thing as well. It's kinda dumb. You can address with the fallout of Sozin's betrayal with the weight it deserves without throwing that malarkey on top of everything.

(Doubleposting because apparently the edit button expires)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 8:07 PM