1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite pairing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst Squib

High Score:
    Harry/Fleur is always an interesting paring, but is usually restricted to GoF fics. The age gap can become difficult to work around as well. Also Harry/OC is also a refreshing change of pace, the exception being a Mary Sue. However, if we're talking about a canon pairing, Harry can be with virtually anyone. Why is he limited to Hogwarts? He will obviously meet some girls while in the Aurors, and I don't find it unrealistic that one of those girls can be his girlfriend.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. Jedipilot24

Jedipilot24 Squib

Harry/Hermione. To me it just seemed like this was the way things were building up for the first five books, especially in OotP where they were practically attached at the hip.

3. Spellheart

Spellheart Squib

High Score:
    The things I look for in romance is something extraordinary. I don't want to read about normal, troublesome and realistic love. I have experienced mediocre love myself and I have heard my friends talk about their relationship issues. It's just not that interesting.

I want to read about passionate and all-consuming love. That's why my favorite pairing is Harry/Fleur. It's the only pairing I think has the potential for that type of love.

I'm surprised I haven't found more fics with those two characters put up against each other as rivals turned lovers.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What would be an example of this "passionate and all-consuming love" be? Doesn't have to be a fanfiction. Regular fiction would be fine. A novel or maybe a movie?

Because I can't really envision exactly what you mean. It doesn't seem to be the type of love that those celebrating decades of life together share, nor does it seem you're talking about 'true love' because that might come across as boring to you. And honestly the "all consuming" bit makes me think of love potions and emotional manipulation more than anything.

5. Spellheart

Spellheart Squib

High Score:

Oh, it's just me being overly dramatic. I just prefer reading about passionate love over companionate love.

Companionate love is being friends with someone forever and slowly realizing there might be more than friendship there. It's comfortable and warm. Like drinking tea and looking out the window.

Passionate love is meeting someone, looking into their eyes and immediately your heart starts pounding and everything around the other person fades out. It's exciting and powerful and anything but comfortable. It's like running into a thunderstorm.

But I agree. It's not really the type of love that lasts very long. So just like a fanfic. Great, but often cut tragically short.

6. LightLordPotter

LightLordPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    So passionate love doesn't exist?

7. TheBurningBagel

TheBurningBagel Second Year

High Score:
    The thing about 'passionate' love is that it's unsustainable, and I mean that from a writing perspective.

The first meeting and the buildup to the relationship can be fun and interesting, but once the two characters actually get together the thing that made the relationship interesting to read about goes away.

So either the story ends when the relationship begins, which is unsatisfying, or the author needs to constantly inject artificial conflict into the story to keep the two apart, which is annoying. (And a good way to make a soap opera.)

8. Spellheart

Spellheart Squib

High Score:
    That makes a lot of sense. I could be wrong and the thing I'm looking for is just a writer who can write chemistry well. So it has that... Spark.

And starting with a great love turning "mundane" would probably feel a bit disappointing. Romeo and Juliett would probably not have been as popular if it ended 20 years later with them bickering about duvet covers and Romeo's inability to put the toilet seat down.

9. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

lol. You might want to read the book, instead of watching the movie.

10. Jedipilot24

Jedipilot24 Squib

I didn't see the OotP movie, but I have read the book. I stand by my statement.

11. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dennis Creevey/Parvati Patil after DH. Sticking with the Patils, Seamus/Padma.

Unfortunately, the only place I've ever seen these pairings is in very early fics I wrote that won't ever see the light of day unless they got copied while posted at FF quite a few years ago.

Still partial to Harry/Fleur and Harry/Daphne, but that's because I like "Get the Uncatchable Girl" type stories.

Also like Harry/Ginny. Despite all the crap said about it, the pairing completes the balance between Harry and Snape, who were mirrored each other in the book.

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Then I don't know where you got "attached at the hip". OotP was mainly Ron and Hermione hanging out while Harry was angsting and being pretty nasty to Hermione a few times.

And really, it was so obvious in the books that he wasn't interested in her that it still amazes me how many people actually thought they ever had a chance to be together.

13. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Harry/Hermione- they fit much better then H/R or H/G
    Harry/Daphne- its is sort of the the scandalous Gry/Sly pairing. Sort of like Romeo and Juilet.. without the stupidity
    Harry/Fleur - sexy french older woman... come on what it not to like
    Harry/Susan- they have such similar pasts that it seems that they can really bond and fit together well. They are both victims of Voldy and are in the spotlight

14. Jedipilot24

Jedipilot24 Squib

Read this:
    https://www.hp-lexicon.org/2003/10/19/partners-and-friends-the-evolving-relationship-between-harry-and-hermione/

15. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Bruh. Bruh. Bruh. Did you read that shit? It's an immensely opinionated essay. It's simply someone promulgating their opinion on why JK Rowling created a foundation for a Harry/Hermione pairing in OotP. Substantiate your points with textual evidence from the book, not someone else's (frankly ridiculous and contrived) opinion.

To respond to the OP's question, see the following:
    Newcomb has the right of it.

16. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Lol. That's one of the silliest interpretations I've ever read. Sexual tension in the scene where Harry is pissed off about Hermione criticizing his heroic tendencies? holy shit. I'm sorry, but this is just grasping at straws. I can only assume that H/Hr shippers have a vastly different view of romance and relationships than I do.

While we're sharing articles, I think this one is a really good reading of their relationship. https://www.hp-lexicon.org/2004/10/...why-hermione-is-not-the-right-girl-for-harry/

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There's also attraction to consider.

As in maybe every single quantifiable point lines up for the 'perfect pairing.' In real life on a dating site using algorithms or in a story with characters that we know a great deal about or whatever.

Every single thing points to these two being perfect together.

...except neither happens to be attracted to the other in that way. /shrug

Granted I don't think Harry and Hermione were 'set up' by the story to be together, but I can at least understand why some people had hoped that would happen. The movies made it worse. I think she and Ron had more chemistry, but I freely admit that I don't enjoy reading romance and it's possible I went with it because I liked it better than having it deal with Harry.

18. SchneierN

SchneierN Squib

High Score:
    Harry/Fleur

I also really like Harry/Fleur, and wish there was more of it. The similarities between the two as you said make the pairing good, and as the Fourth Year is my personal favorite, the setting for this pairing is always fun in my opinion.

19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fixed it for you.

20. Touzb

Touzb Squib

High Score:
    Harry and Daphne or Susan or Fleur, provided the fanfic has a real plot that serves as more than a collection of rehashed ideas to drive the pairing forward.