1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Are you saying that you've never fundamentally disagreed with someone about something they're intensely passionate about? Yet, at the same time, not really cared about the issue. In cases such as this, sometimes it's best to not bother creating tension.

The example you gave is a lazy, overused relationship trope. But the purpose and meaning behind it isn't always complete garbage. Being deliberately antagonistic in any kind of relationship is just as unhealthy.

2. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    My guess is that James just has a problem with the semantics. The "picking battles" phrase isn't exactly the best choice of words. It just makes the relationship sound like an unhealthy warzone that isn't beneficial to either partner.

3. James

James Unspeakable

The example I gave is might be lazy, overused trope, but it's also what set off my Pet Peeve half-rant.

And yes, that's a big part of it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    It's a pretty common turn of phrase, it's not meant to be taken literally... same ways as if I said I caught you red handed, it doesn't mean that I caught you with blood on your hands. I am genuinely surprised that the semantics of this came up.

Also by "The example you gave is a lazy, overused relationship trope." I meant that the author is being lazy, and meant to imply that it's a totally reasonable pet peeve to have. I don't think that came across well based on your response.

Edit: ... My bad

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Hush

Turn of phrase, just so no one here has to add it to their peeves.

6. James

James Unspeakable

Ah, yeah, no, it didn't. Sorry 'bout that.

7. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

One that I see every so often. A part and apart.

A part being one piece of something and apart being separated.

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, but there is such a thing as submitting to one another in love. It isn't something only the female is supposed to do.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  9. SchneierN

SchneierN Squib

High Score:
    I always find a story less enjoyable if all of it's content is plot. The reason I love HP is the interaction between characters in a casual sense and utilizing the cool world we find ourselves playing in.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I think impatient readers are as much to blame for this as the authors who write it.

Authors include it so the readers can be assured what they want to see will happen eventually, even if it doesn't manifest in the first few chapters, because many of them are too impatient to wait for it to actually develop organically.
    Author: This story is HP/FD.

Reader: Where's my Harry/Fleur relationship? It's been a whole two chapters.

Author: But... Harry's name only just came out of the goblet. He doesn't even like her right now, and she sees him as a spotlight-stealing little boy; they certainly aren't feeling any affection for each other yet. Give it time, the H/FD will happen ev-

Reader: Your a lair! You said this was H/Fluer but it's not!

Author: I think you mean, "You're a liar" and "H/Fleur." Look, a believable relationship doesn't happen overnight, and I'm not writing any soul bond jiggery pokery, so you'll just have to have a little patience.

Reader: STFU! Lier.

Author: ... ... Looks like it's time to claim "'Real Life' is hitting me hard, right now." and abandon this account. Maybe I'll make an account at AO3... if they even allow stories that aren't about Credence Barebone being non-consensually sodomized.

Impatient little shits are used to seeing pants drop or fortunes inherited or mysterious powers gained or whatever by the end of the first chapter. When they don't see it, the begging and bitching starts. Really, it's up to the reader to show a little patience, and the author to ignore the impatient ones. In lieu of such fortitude, you get the "eventual" note.

For many people, fast and shallow trumps slow and meaningful every time, especially in a medium where (to be fair to some impatient readers) many of the creators bail out on their creation before it's complete. Many have been trained that if it doesn't happen fast, it won't happen at all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I completely understand this point of view. That being said, I haven't read a fic that has "eventual ship" that's been all that good.

12. Touzb

Touzb Squib

High Score:
    One thing I really don't like is what I'd dub an "euphoric tone" - when the protagonist side is portrayed as smarter/better/more knowledgeable etc. than everyone else and this is treated seriously by the author. For Love of Magic is especially bad with this chapter 23 onwards. I stopped reading not long after.

13. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I remember that one being terrible wish fulfilment from the start. I'll trust that you've got a higher tolerance for guilty pleasures that was exceeded around chapter 23. I think I noped out around chapter two or three.

14. Touzb

Touzb Squib

High Score:
    True, it always was a guilty pleasure. But after Harry
    legally became an adult and melted Lucius Malfoy with a fireball
    in chapter 23 the whole thing got way too self-congratulatory (other way to describe what I dub the "euphoric tone").

Also, it seems in a recent chapter
    Sirius got killed in some random quickly-be-done-with-it fashion.
    That's another thing I dislike in fanfiction, pointless plot elements that get quickly cleared away by the author in an unsatisfying fashion.

Harry's treatment of Sirius, even before chapter 23, was also a part of the fic's self-congratulatory characterization of Harry, cause Sirius was treated like a stupid child by him.

15. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Give this a read and tell me what you think. (Or, wait a few days and I'll have all the chapters re-edited for the stupid little typos and other things that somehow have made their way into the story).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Having taken a look at Wind Shear lately that's been posted for review, I now add "Rom" to a list of shortened names that I detest. That's "Rom" for Andromeda. I don't think that's even the worst shortening he (Ted Tonks) uses in the story.

17. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

How about Andy? I don't find that diminutive annoying but some might.

18. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Andy makes sense. But, something like Rom is like making Topher a diminutive of Christopher. It just sounds like the person is trying too hard. First time I heard that name in real life, I just rolled my eyes.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Isn't it therefore the best solution to simply tell them to go fuck themselves if they can't wait?

Authors aren't slaves to the readers, obviously.

I see the similar happening to my friend on DeviantArt when people act entitled and demand she draw things specifically for them for free and are outraged when she refuses.

20. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I'm not entirely sure I explained my peeve properly. I like eventual ship, my peeve is having the term Eventual followed by whatever ship it is in the summary.