1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blasphemy! What about Daphne????

2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Even though she's "off screen" Daphne's presence is obvious in all 7 books and so she does not qualify as a character-of-a-book.

3. Sey

High Score:
    Thanks for explaining that. I got scared for a moment.

4. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

So Peter Quill was born in 1980 in the MCU and I came up with this idea of having Harry being abducted by the Ravagers. It could be pre or post Hogwarts really. if the latter, Harry couldn't be that far ahead year wise to avoid an OP character. Since I despise anyone other than James being Harry's father the new Ego connection might be a bit tricky to pull off but I'm sure there's a way.

5. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    Fic about auror training, inspired by Police Academy movies.

From Harry's house, he, Ron and Unnamed Gryffindor Girl I, Laverne Hooks, decide to become aurors. Sprinkle few people from other houses, long distance relationships, a lot of humour, it has a potential.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A dimension hopping HP crossover taking place in the sixth year.

Voldemort was a little more cautious when hiding his Horcruxes, or maybe it was a part of his bigger plans for the future, and he decided to send four of them to different worlds.

After discovering this information, Dumbledore can only do one thing and sends Harry after them. Because of his connection he's the only one who can find them among infinite number of worlds.

To help him with this quest, Albus gives Harry few powerful artefacts. Among them the recreated Philosopher's Stone. While the original was destroyed, Flamel revealed to Dumbledore how to make it if he needed it in his fight against Voldermort. The Stone not only lets Harry to heal himself from pretty much anything, but assuming gold is as desirable as it's in his world, it gives him a necessary funds.

The worlds where the Horcruxes are hidden are four famous sword and sorcery settings and the places where characters of Conan, Elric, Kane and Geralt live.

Conan's World

It's the first world where Harry finds himself. Though Dumbledore gave him plenty of materials to finish his magical education and continue it beyond Hogwarts' level, he doesn't have any exceptional talents and it will take time. Fortunately, what he can do is enough to survive in this world and learn how to do it even without help of magic.

Harry meets and over time befriends people like Conan, despite his dislike for magic, and Red Sonja, who over time proves that Harry does have a thing for redheads. ;)

Elric's World

It's where Harry really gets involved in magic and how it differs between the worlds. Years in a barbaric world makes him somehow prepared for contact Melniboné's culture, but it puts him at odd with Elric in their first meeting.

Kane's World

When he first finds himself in it, it's in its modern times which is a quite a surprise for Harry after the last two worlds. Before he has time to enjoy it, he meets Kane who informs him that they met in the past and it's where he needs to go.

Harry finds himself many centuries earlier only to discover that his first meeting with Kane isn't going to be very peaceful. The man is a possession of the Horcrux and intends to use it in his conquests.

Geralt's World

The last world where Harry finds himself. I'm unsure when exactly, but in the end he will get involved with Ciri because of her ability to cross the worlds that he could use once he deals with the Horcrux.

General theme of fic is Harry taking levels in being badass and its cost. At the start he's pretty much like he's in the books, but after living long centuries (with a help from the Stone) in two brutal worlds where violence is a norm and torture can be an art, he realizes that he's more like Kane than he wants to admit.

7. RDavidson

RDavidson Disappeared

High Score:
    I actually had a very similar concept, in the classic and overdone subgenre of "Harry but raised by X", which has infant Harry abducted by some Ravagers and eventually falling in with the GotG. So far the best reason for him to get offplanet I've come up with is the (not very smart) Ravager detecting something weird about Harry and thinking he can be sold to the Collector.

To be quite honest, I'm primarily in this for what Harry gets out of being raised by the GotG. He learns musical appreciation from Peter, how to move in combat from Gamora, how to curse from Rocket, etc. (And maybe a castoff branch from Groot would go into making a good wand.)

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Not a full plot, but more of an idea that jumped at me after re-reading "Shadow Out of Time".

During 5th Year Voldemorts mind is snatched by Yithans and replaced with their agent. And now the agent is stuck in a body of a magical terrorist and tries to continue his mission. And Voldemrot is stuck in a cone-shaped body in Pnakotus, forced to write down all history that he remembers and going insane - well, more insane - because achieving rudimentary immortality isn't such a great feet when confronted by beings that percieve time itself as a geography.

9. Sey

High Score:
    Please do this someone!

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was several weeks into his first year that Tom Riddle learned that being able to speak to snakes was a trait shared by his house's founder. But, by then he had already endured several weeks of bullying and harassment at the hands of his blood purist house-mates in the belief he was a muggleborn. So, he chose not to share his ability with them.

Tom Riddle decided he really hated purebloods.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  11. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Dumbledore and Harry Potter are dead. The British ministry has fallen. Voldemort rules a shadow king of the United Kingdom and his eyes are now turning outward.

The magical governments of continental Europe turn to the only person who could possibly help them. A solemn delegation comprising over thirty ministers for magic travels to Nurmengard to order the release of Grindelwald.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Given that in canon Voldemort killed Grindelwald, I assume here it was not the case?

Would Harry and Dumbledore be killed pre-DH?

13. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Yes. DH presumably didn't happen or happened very differently.

14. Andrela

It's definitely an interesting idea.

Perhaps the POD could be that Dumbledore dies earlier than in canon, and Harry is left without crucial information?

Possibly Albus dies in the Gaunt house when he puts on the ring with the Resurrection Stone and the curse kills him before Snape can help him.

With Dumbledore out of the picture, Harry most likely does not survive his sixth year at Hogwarts.

15. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Makes sense. And with Dumbledore dead from Voldemort's curse, the Elder Wand is his and as such he doesn't need to search out Grindelwald for answers.

That means when the two do clash, Grindelwald can a) have a wand again b) be better prepared and c) be filled with righteous vengeance over Dumbledore death.

Point c sounds a good piece of character drama. Can Grindelwald's later life repentance (which was driven largely by the example of Dumbledore) survive Grindelwald's desire to revenge Dumbledore's murder.

16. Andrela

Glimmervoid

The issue of Grindelwald being a little rusty after spending so many decades in prison should be addressed though.

He may be powerful, but nothing lowers skill like sitting around and doing nothing for decades.

17. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Voldemort only sought the Elder Wand because he was having trouble killing Harry. I don't think it's certain that in an AU he'd go looking for it.

18. Andrela

So if Dumbledore dies from the curse in the Gaunt shack, then the following events are altered:

1. Draco's mission to kill Dumbledore never happens and Snape isn't pressured into taking the Unbreakable Vow.

2. Slughorn does not come to Hogwarts and stays in hiding.

3. Due to 1 and 2 it is highly likely that Snape remains as the Potions Professor and lives longer than in canon.

This also means that Harry won't attend potions during his sixth year and won't gain access to Snape's potion book with extra spells (no Sectumsempra).

19. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

True.

Initially, I don't think he needs to fight Voldemort, though. At first his mere presence will be enough to slow Voldemort's plans. And that is why the continental Ministries need him.

Look at canon: During Voldemort's first rise, he never took over the Ministry. Rather, he fought a slow campaign of growing terror and building power. A few weeks after Dumbledore was dead, Voldemort simply moved in via Imperius Curse and took over. Dumbledore, even without confronting Voldemort directly, provided a hard check on that kind of action.

In a similar way, the mere fact that Grindelwald is active again will force Voldemort to move slowly. Without Grindelwald, he might simply sweep in and take over. With Grindelwald in play, Voldemort will need to fight a slower, strategic war. And that makes a better story anyway.

So in the early days, all its quiet. Maybe even a cold war but one that cannot stay cold for long. Voldemort is planning and building his dark empire.

On the Dover cliffs immense hex-breaker towers spring up, to break France's anti-apparatin charms.

In the heart of Manchester, Ministry wizards create giant floo fireplaces, fired by dragons and powerful enough to suborn Continental floo connections.

In the Britain's broomeries, production rises and a great stockpiles are made.

Spy thriller stuff and a war of sabotage to start with. Grindelwald can battle Voldemort on the chessboard of statecraft before they ever cross wands.

20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

You had me interest at AU, but now you have my attention. Off the top of my head, I think that the various European Ministries won't be as united as they seem and a competent Voldemort will probably exploit that. No doubt there will be sympathizers and backstabbing on both sides aplenty.

Another thing that might be interesting is what ideology Grindelwald is seen to "champion" in the eyes of the people. His canon ideology of magical overlordship seems to have significant overlap with that of Voldemort's, while being presented as an anti-Voldemort option and nothing more is probably more palatable to the Ministries - but probably doesn't inspire. Taking up something like Dumbledore's ideas would be a reverse, and probably shock some of his old supporters.

---------- Post automerged at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Ron Weasley: Triwizard Champion

I'm not going to lie, this idea came to me after going through that god awful Is Ron an asshole thread.

For Ron to get chosen in the first place, I think I need to go pretty AU. My initial thoughts on what I'd need to change so I could justify the plot:

1) Voldemort dead
    -Simply put, the existence of Voldemort immediately shifts the narrative focus onto that conflict. However, this might be a double edged sword. In canon, a lot of character growth from Harry and Ron is driven because of events tied into the fight against Voldemort. Remove him, you remove a lot of impetus.

2) Set it in 7th year
    -I'm a bit torn about this, but ultimately, I think it just isn't possible to have Ron "good" enough to be chosen in his 4th year to compete against 7th years.

It should, ultimately, be more a character piece masquerading as an action story. Thoughts?