1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I just caught up as well. Robert was very fun to read, shame his death is so inevitable in fanfiction.

2. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Most authors can't really write him due to being such a nuanced character. Also because others simply don't want to outline the consequences of his actions and personality.

3. fire

fire Order Member

Sequel to Knees Falling is out. 4 chapters so far. You can read it on FF.Net or on AH (registration required).

4. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

I am actually really liking the Rhaegar story. I hard binged that and what is up of the sequel in a day. I think my enjoyment of the story was actually enhanced by the spoiler (SPOILER!) that the girl dies, since that was also my least favorite part of the story, but as a foil for the character's development...

5. thor2006

thor2006 First Year

What Rhaegar story?

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Rhaegar the Great on AH, I assume.

7. sollol

sollol Second Year

I don't know if it has come up yet, but this one definetily focuses on the relatioship between Jon and Catelyn.

Promise me, Cat.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9618191

Summary: "Promise me, Cat. Her husband’s words were written on the boy’s face. How cruel you are, Ned, she thought. You bound me to the same promise that made me suffer all these years.

In which King Robert finds out about Jon Snow and the only person Ned can warn is his lady wife. When her trueborn children are in danger, Catelyn Stark has to face the most difficult decision of her life: Will she fulfill her promise to tell Jon Snow - and help him in the wars to come?

This is not a Fix-It. Old wounds heal slowly and bad things still happen as a new war threatens to shatter the realm."

There are some things I did not like at the start, which is the weakest part of the story, as it does feel contrived. The story does improve, and is certainly among the better recently begun ASOIAF fics.

8. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I had come across that one already. I think I may have exhausted a very shallow pool. Thanks though

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Since that is used as the very premise for things, I think I'll just skip yet another shitpile that will inevitably paint Robert Baratheon as a monster and an idiot.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Yeah, in second chapter Robert went full "I'll execute my best friend Ned Stark and his children" :facepalm

11. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hell, the first chapter with Varys was nothing short of comical.

"Your lifelong friend has been planning to betray you 4 evr."

12. Donimo

Donimo Auror

"That makes sense." - Robert

13. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

If you can suspend your disbelief and get past the shaky pretense of Robert's initial reaction, the story actually becomes a decent time waster. I don't think the author has completely nailed Jon's character, but I haven't read any that has, honestly.

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

No. /10 characters

15. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Shaky ain't a strong enough word, mate. The pretense has fucking Parkinson's.

16. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

I remember rolling my eyes a lot as I read the first few chapters..but damn, maybe it is that bad. Well, to each his own.

17. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Man. I really don't know what to think of Knees Falling. Plotwise? Solid. Author does a fairly good job of making an AU plot that actually makes sense as a reasonable consequence of the change made. Doesn't reek of being a fix-it, and doesn't fall into the other pitfall of following the same damn plot of the original but for the one change made.

Sucks that the actual writing is mediocre. The sense of character could really use improvement, but more than anything... I can't tell if the author just doesn't know how to write exposition or if he just doesn't trust the readers to pick up on anything that isn't spelled out for them. Most of the dialogue (that wasn't lifted directly from the source material) is devoted to explaining things in awkward speeches wherein one character is lecturing another, but in reality it seems to be the author telling us the rationale behind each change. Hell, the most recent chapter is two characters lecturing each other about things that already happened and the details of how shitty their situation is... and that's it.

18. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

That's how most "author" on Alternate History write. They are more concerned about explaining their POD and its consequences, than they are about writing a a good story, or improving their writing in general.

19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Yeah. But dunno. Perfidious writing is really really good. Can't say I agree with most of the criticism he said about him in specific even if most AH are trash yeah.

20. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I haven't read Knees Falling yet so my comment was not about Perfidious' writing specififically, but I've been reading a lot of AH stories in the past week, and the majority of them face this problem.