1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    Pre-Conquest Westeros had panwesterosi institutions like Night's Watch, Citadel and to certain extent Faith, so I don't see why would you need separate magical schools. Especially considering the fact that magical community is much smaller than non-magical community. If one school is enough for Westerosi muggles...
    And if you want to still make 4 schools of magic in Westeros I think the most natural would be to divide them according to cultural lines: so First Men magic school (Gryffindor?, Isle of Faces/Oldstones/Moat Cailin/Winterfell/random castle at the Wall), Andal magic school (Ravenclaw?, Gulltown/hidden in Mountains of the Moon), Rhoynish magic school (Hufflepuff?, floating school on Greenblood) and Ironborn magic school (Dagon Drumm was mentioned to practice necromancy, they live in quite depressing setting, so Slytherin? School could be in Lonely Light.)

2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I don't know about that. I could see Gryffindor in the Vale, Westerlands, or Stormlands; Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff in the North or the Reach; and Slytherin in Dorne or the Reach.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Wouldn't Gryffindor fit to Lannisters? Lions and all tbh.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hogwarts would be 300-year-old school set up by Aegon the Conqueror to solidify his power and stabilize the realm. It tends to be the place where the most influential now go. However, the North, Iron Isles and parts of the Vale and Dorne tend not to go and choose to practice the old way.

There would be other schools of magic from before the conquest.

The Reach would have a large castle near Old Town that was intermingled with the faith.

The Westerlands and Stormlands would have their own seperate schools located somewhere near the main powers of their realm.

The Vale would have a smaller school with the clans and various other areas that would refuse to go.

Dorne would have two schools of thought (could be one or two schools) for Westeros way of magic as well as the Rhoynish way of magic.

The Iron Isles would have more of a battle school or master apprentices relationships on ships.

The Riverlands would have many small schools or choose to send their kids to various other schools due to the constant conflicts of the region.

The North would have no centralized school but do a master program or keep the magic within the families. The Old Way.

Dragonstone would have a very tight community that is intermingled with the royalty/court.

---------

My question would be, in this HP-Westeros, are the main houses (Stark, Lannisters, etc) be magic users as well? Or are they muggles? If so, why are these magical houses falling muggles? Or if they are not, are all nobility in Westeros magical? What would muggleborns be then?

5. Andrela

Well, it would depend.

I guess it depends which version is more interesting.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not quite. If the Muggles are ruling without some distinct advantage over the Magicals then that's just poor story telling.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I was going by their traits and legends.

The North is all about honour and bravery. The Last Hero may not come from it, but it's the only place where they mention his legend.

The West has Lann who was as Slytherin as they come.

The South has the Citadel.

The East, well, nobody cares for the Vale like nobody cares for Hufflepuff. ;)

8. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    Except the whole honor/bravery thing isn't unique to the North or even it's defining characteristic. The North is more about solidarity/loyalty and enduring the hardship of winter so Hufflepuff. If anything the Reach is the best example of honor. The Reach cares about the ideals of chivalry and knighthood more than any other region.

On the topic of how the houses would rule mages, oaths are a big part of any feudal society. The oldest, most powerful houses could have objects like the Goblet of Fire. The oaths can't be too ironclad of course, but an oath to serve rather than rule similar to the maesters' might work.

9. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Then you've got to have a good reason for why those oaths would be made in the first place. If they're a geas passed down through family lines you've still got Muggleborns popping up, but at least you've got the geas bound Magicals to deal with them. If there's no inherited oaths the Houses might find and convince the Magicals to swear their oaths young.

If you do have a coerced loyalty from the Magicals to the Muggles though, eventually things are going to end up with a pseudo slave system, if only because the Magicals would keep attempting to get out of this oath that has been forced on them and the Muggles would crack down harder and harder each time.

10. Andrela

So it's just better to have the Starks and other families be magical then.

11. Lindsey

Or a combination of both.

Back in the Age of Heroes and the First Men, most people (and all the children of the Forest) had magic. Those families that had more magic and/or developed special branches of magic tended to be the ones that rose into nobility. The rest swore oaths to these families.

When the Andals arrived, they brought the wand. This is what led them to take over most of Westeros except the places where 'old magic' was strongest. Aka, the North.

However, as the centuries passed, less and less magical children were born. Whole families disappeared or became muggles. There were only a few families that consistently had magical children (HP families), but they were still bound by oaths as well as the occasional magical child born into these more powerful families that would be incredibly powerful.

This is why the Targaryens were able to invade and take over so easily. With Westeros bleeding magic, the Targaryens were from the Valyrian Empire that was the magical force of the world and included the first Hogwarts. With few magical families left in Westeros, the Targaryens swept through with their fire magic.

The Targaryens rebuilt Hogwarts in Westeros as a way to bring the magical families together and store what magic that was left (as after the Valyrian Empire fell, magic was even more rare). Summerhall perhaps? Dragonstone?

The start of the books would be magics comeback. With the white walkers returning (created as being the anti-magic force back in the day), families all across Westeros start having magical kids again. Muggleborns are popping up in minor and non-noble families.

----------

I think the only way to get magic to really work here, is have magical skills passed through families (like canon) as well as unique magical systems per region. You would have the basic skills from canon but upper level be more in tune to the region or family you are from.

The North - warging(animagus), green sight(Divination), winter-ice magic.
    The Westerlands - Transfiguration
    The Reach - Earth Magic/Herbology
    The Riverlands - Charms
    The Vale - Flying, Metallurgy/Runes (infusing weapons and items with magic)
    The Stormlands - Battle magic/Dueling and some weather magic.
    The Iron Islands - Ocean/Sea/Wind Magic.
    Dorne - Potions and River/Rhoyish magic.
    Dragonstone - fire magic, some Divination.

The White Walkers - Led by Voldemort. Very powerful, can nullify magic and simply kill people with AK. Revive the dead. Etc, etc. Also can use weather magic.

12. Andrela

Lindsey

About Voldemort: would he be the Night King then?

And if yes, is he a white walker himself or just a human who controls them.

Perhaps in this world Voldemort, in his search for immortality, discovered how white walkers were made and turned himself into one.

Harry Potter would of course be Azor Ahai, destined to fight him.

13. Lindsey

Perhaps Voldemort would be the Stark that went to the wall and married the White Walker Princess and terrorized the land until he was put down.

Then he spent generations building his army...

But yes, he would be the Night King.

However, I'd keep the grittiness of GoT in this mixture of stories, and make it seem like HP is the Azor Ahai, but in the end... who knows?

14. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    All he wanted to do was grieve for his wife Fleur, babe that she was, in peace. Fill his days with broom riding as the world moved on around him, and care for the last gift she had left him. But then the wrong folk crossed his path. They left him for dead, and stole his Firebolt 9001.

They should have killed him.

They shouldn't have killed his kneazle.

Harry Potter

in

Potter

Don't set him off.

15. Andrela

Has there been a story where Hermione dies in the battle for the Department of Mysteries?

It would be interesting to see the ramifications of such a point of divergence. It would certainly throw a wrench into the works of the Plot.

On the plus side, we wouldn't have to deal with her insanity in HBP.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This fic seems to have that plot. But, apparently Harry goes to off himself too. I tried reading this once, I don't remember any of it. Probably garbage.

I'd like to see more fics in which Harry travels the world and experiences different cultures. I had an idea for one, but unfortunately @Lungs bailed on me, so that dream is shot.

Was going to do some kind of Horcrux hunt in which Harry and the other two go off on wild goose chases, and get caught up in some weird magical effects that cause them to have to make serious decisions about how they're going to proceed. Kinda Lara Croft meets HP, or maybe Uncharted meets HP. But not a cross over.

17. Andrela

I am throwing money at the screen and nothing is happening! :(

18. BlitherBlip

BlitherBlip First Year

Crossover with Peter V. Bretts Demon Cycle books (if anyone here has read them). Last book comes out soon so obviously trying to write anything like this would be silly, but still. A few things you could do with this.

First thing I thought of is a really grimdark fic about the start of the Age of Destruction, with the Age of Science being the current day in the HP universe. It fits that the Demons are actually some magical creation, maybe made by Voldemort. The story would be a fairly short story about Wizardkind fighting off (and getting killed by) demons as the muggles are slaughtered as canon. A series of different vignettes from the perspectives of different characters in the HP universe, most of whom end up dying. Maybe the last scenes would be Dumbledore or Harry making the first Wards and then getting killed- there aren't any wizards in the Demon Cycle, so really the only possible conclusion to this story is everyone dying.

Then there's the obvious "Harry gets transported to x universe because y plot device", which is overused but could be cool. I can see Harry fitting right in as a hermit, not even knowing humans exist in this universe, brought into civilisation by The Painted Man and using his knowledge of magic to fight Demons. Maybe he replaced The Painted Man entirely, idk.

19. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    I'd love to see a parody story on the "whole Harry is a good cook" trope , maybe with elements from cooking animes like Mister Ajikko or the more recent Food Wars , maybe Petunia forced Harry to learn cooking really early and he discovered he has a knack for it , maybe his dishes change the dursleys into decent human beings (some of the episode of Mister Ajikko revolved on him making friends with mean people by giving them real good food )

You could also go full crack and give him powers a la Torico (a food anime but with dbz powers ,pretty fun )
    I also remember reading something about Parsley tongue , maybe harry hears sexual noises very time he washes parsley and he doesn't know where it's coming from

idk

20. Ludwig

Ludwig Fourth Year

High Score:
    Has there been a story where the prophecy never comes into play?

That way Harry isn't tied to Voldemort. A simple change like that could make a massive AU, James and Lily could be alive for example.
    I might try this as my first story, I wouldn't get it done for a long time because of the work it would take, but it might be a nice project for my free time.