1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Distant Star by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, May 25, 2012.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Keep your filthy handouts! You dare speck the honest membrane of my being? I will of course buy the next book, you savage.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ITT:

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

@Eilyfe @Joe - can confirm, Broken Quill is a good sequel and a better book. My favorite of the four published so far. The antagonist is foreshadowed better, the new characters introduced are more solidly presented than in Distant Star. Improvements all over the place. I will disagree with you on the HP angle though. I read WoT a few years ago (should probably revisit it and finally read Heartlands) so I had the benefit of familiarity. Declan and the crew however always seemed very much their own characters, even if the supporting cast is rather thinly characterized in the first book. Things that annoy me about Harry are different from things that annoy me in Declan and things I like about Harry are different from things I like about Declan.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

It wasn't so much Declan as Clare. The image of Clare as Tonks lodged in my mind pretty quickly, and from then on I simply tacked on Declan as the Harry in this HxT. That's more owed to my reading habits, but that's what happened anyway.