1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Trump Card by Ack (Worm)

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Zombie, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Title: Trump Card
    Author: Ack
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adv
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: None that I have seen?
    Summary: Taylor gains powers in the locker; this much is familiar. But the power she gets, and what she does with it, begins to change things around considerably.

Faced with the pressure of the power she has, and official apathy, she must make her own decisions, and take a different route to achieve her goals.

Link

Worm fic, its on SB, I think its on FFN, I didn't search because the author usually updates here first, and its publically accessible.

I like and I don't like this fic.
    I like this fic because it Alt-Power!Taylor, which people are tired of, but I read FF because I want to see new and interesting things. Taylor is a Trump, as indicated by the title, in the same vein as Manager, she's able to take powers. Which I kind of like, and I don't like.

Why I like it: It's a different set of powers shown in an interesting way.
    Why I don't like it: Pretty much suffering from the fact that they haven't even had an Endbringer fight yet, or they have, and the author had to bail because they can't think of what to write about for the fallout.

Its like the wave arc in a Naruto fic. Leviathan is more than a city killer, he's a story killer.

Overall, I'd give it a 3.5/5, round that up to 4. Just because I like it and actively follow updates.

Oh, and it just updated recently after being on a break.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

So is this any better than Ack's normal drivel of mary-sue bullshit fixfics that are terribly written and make no sense with more than 10 seconds of thought applied, or should I not even bother?

3. Zombie

Well if you're gonna be like that then I wouldn't bother. It probably hits all those categories. I'm just not so hyper critical.

4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I'm a little confused by your analysis. Leviathan has nothing to do with this fic, at least not as of yet. Timeline-wise, I think it's still early in the year for his appearance. While Ack is known for his fix-it fics, he's also known for taking almost every story he writes in new directions that has little to do with endbringers, with a couple of exceptions. He suffers from "some great ideas that are executed awfully" syndrome.

This one is about how Taylor, with her power borrowing Trump power, teams up with Uber and Leet so she can use their powers to actually do something other than video game/youtube stuff. Being a hero, but not letting following the law get in her way. So... a criminal hero?

It suffers from the typical Ack "things never go wrong or if they do then it's easily taken care of-Taylor", but it's entertaining if you're willing to look past it.

The major issue is that Ack has like 20 stories going all at once and it takes him months - sometimes over a year - to update any given story. He apparently forgets enough details of the story so he winds up repeating himself too many times, or doing the run-on joke way too much, or not letting go of certain cliche elements that weigh the story down. The one that's currently annoying me is the "master chef-Taylor" that uses her cooking talents to get the guys to do pretty much anything she wants. It's never-ending. It's like "Kiddo" but with cooking. It's annoying.

So, yes, if you hate Ack's other works then avoid the story. If you don't care and are just looking for something to fill the empty void then it's fine.

5. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

I don't think I've lol'd this hard in a while.

I've read the first half of the fic and then dropped it. Its fairly good technically sound and whatnot but I just cannot stand Acks writing for some reason. 3/5 for a nice idea but the execution just doesn't give me a good feeling.

6. Zombie

Right. In the sense that like in Naruto fic stories die at the wave Arc. Worm fics die at the leviathan Arc. Which this story hasn't made it to yet, but am anticipating and then it's subsequent abandonment because of lack of inspiration.

7. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I haven't read this story in particular, but I've read a decent amount of Ack's work.

The biggest thing that I hate about Ack is that he starts a billion new fics and never finishes any of them. His fics aren't even abandoned either, he just updates them ridiculously slowly because he's spread himself too thin. As far as his actual writing is, I find that his work ranges from kind of weird and cringy to actually pretty interesting, and it's a real shame that his interesting fics don't update that frequently.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

He's finished 11 of them, not counting the fetish ones on AO3.

9. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I was exaggerating a little, but most of his completed stories on FFN are relatively short. His longer stories tend to have no end in sight. Of his 11 finished works, I would consider Hope Comes to Brockton Bay and Security to be his only two "long" stories. On the other hand, Ack has published 6+ stories that have been "in progress" for at least two years now and are all shaping up to be epic in length.

The man puts out a truly prodigious amount of words (especially if you count all of his weird NSFW stuff as well), but I would much rather read two completed stories that are 400k words long, rather than six incomplete stories that are each 150k words long.

10. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

It's an Ack fic, which is nearly a genre unto itself at this point. The main issue is that Ack is... not well suited to writing serious stories, and his characterization is garbage. I don't think he's ever written a character actually "In Character." It's like he separates characters into a "Nice" bin and an "Evil" bin. All the characters in each bin read basically the same. He's got some fun humor stories, like the one with Taylor turning into a dragon, but his more serious stuff tends to fall flat. I'm not a huge fan of fix it fics either, and they make up most of his stories.

11. Zombie

Bump.
    Its complete.

This hasn't aged well, and the ending was shit. I'd rather it have stayed abandoned. I revise my earlier rating.
    1/5.

Doesn't even work as a guilty pleasure anymore.