1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Challenge for Next Years Awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbern, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Belerdorhan: I've said nothing about Jbern, faggot, which you'd know if you'd checked my posts. I have a problem with people blowing authors without offering any criticism whatsoever, when that goes on for 7+ Pages it ceases to be annoying and moves into cocksucking.

Also, Vash, the pic wins.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Criticism, for those of us who look up long enough to actually see faults in a story.

4. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

But Bio, this will give you a chance to test out the new voting system you were crusading to make a change in. Isn't that what you started the other thread for? I thought you cared about making things better for the community, so the 3rd annual awards aren't the 'disgrace' you said the 1st and 2nd were.

I'm willing to use whatever voting criteria is set up for next years awards as far as post counts and reputation.

Jim

Darius - the poster did say that Bill seemed out of character.

5. Midknight

/me holds a gun to Cho's forehead.

oh... I beg to differ.

HEY! I just said it's not my cup o tea! I'm sure it tastes quite nice, just remember, putting it away wet makes diseases grow.

It's not so much that they're bad or not, but a group doesn't agree with the voting results, and looking at the statistics they feel validated somethign was screwed with by jbern's fanboy/girls. The opposing group responded with more or less STFU and deal with it, only making things worse. It's spiraling downward now.

6. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

If you wanted to test the voting system, all you'd do is put up "Should jbern be banned from the site?" If the motion to ban you isn't passed, it still needs some tweaking.

7. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Good god just shut the fuck up bio. This thread was actually made to discuss a competition, not to start a flame war. All you had to do was say no and drop the whole thing.

As for the competition sounds interesting, dont really care about stakes but if it gets good stories out there and has good updating i don't see how it could be bad.

8. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Hmm, looks interesting. Roughly 100 pages in six months from two authors is always, good.

JBern! Defend your honor! I will fund your gauntlet for bitchslapping, à la Robin Hood, Men in Tights.

Vash! Take it like a man! I will fund a spanish hooker to threaten you with STDs every time you start writing something slutty and not serious.

EDIT: I had a pic, but the link's not working. Eh, I'll figure it out later. Goddamn ED.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..you really can't read very deeply can you? This thread's main purpose is the so called conflict between Jbern Merrill and Vash. Don't post if you're going to make such shallow judgments.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hurry up and write some fucking stories, bitches. That's all I'm interested in.

11. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Yes but everybody else is actually discussing a competition and how to settle it. I fail to see how a remark about banning jbern is productive. If you look at the thread name it is called "A Challenge for Next Years Awards", while it may be a challenge between the 3 of them, I don't really think that just insulting people is going to help.

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

TO be fair, Elvin, JBERN was the first to mention banning. Why not tell HIM to stfu as well? Either way, this entire thread is less about a challenge than it is about drawing attention to JBern. Regardless of how well/poorly either story ends up, You must remember one thing. There are more JBern fanboys/girls than Vash fanboys/girls. While mine may be more loyal, loyalty amounts to little in popularity contests. Which, as stated before, is all this will be.

13. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

That pisses me off. Why spend time writing 40k when you know all that's going to happen is Jim's fans will go "Jbern!" and your fans will go "Vash!" no matter what?

I for one, happen to be on good terms with the both of ya. I have no problem being objective and as I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to what both of you churn out. But I don't want to waste my time if all that's going to happen is the same thing that did with this year's awards. I think the challenge would be better suited outside the awards. I would love to leave out jbern's fans and anyone else who would staunchly support either of you. I wish we could create a pool of objective readers to read both fics and then vote on which is better...that shouldn't be too hard, right? Heh. =/

Whatever. Do what you want. I'll read either way.

14. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Hear Hear. I'm one of those people that likes fairness. I don't have a problem with this year's awards, except for the fact that some fics were blatantly in the wrong category and for this I Plan on doing just what I did for the awards. Vote for the best.

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ive been having that thought since yesterday. Jbern showed up in IRC and i was too mindfucked to want to think then, so I didnt ask at the time but ill but it up here.

For the voting of this little shindig, I suggest Raven and Mid grab a pool of six to twenty individuals and use them as an offical voting base to prevent a popularity contest. If everyone else wants to vote, make a thread or it and use the suggested measures in the other thread.

16. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

The problem is that practically everyone will be voting for one thing or another, and if you were to just pick random people, I'm sure that some people would be jbern fans, and some people would be vash fans. I, personally, would lean more towards jbern, since although vash stories can be wonderful fun, I find jbern stories more interesting (although I have to admit that I stopped reading TFTCD as one point in time because the summary irritated me).

I suggest that, using Raven's system of .4 + .4 + .2 (or something like that) each story is ruled individually. Each story could start out with 400 points in the first two categories, and 200 points in the overall category, and points could then be deducted for spelling mistakes and plot holes (plot holes would obviously be a larger point deduction than misspelling than/then), etc and we could have the members make suggestions as to point deductions, and moderators & admins of DLP could decide whether or not it was a valid point deduction to make.

Eh? Any suggestions?

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

This is getting too fucking complicated. I personally like most of Jbern's stuff, but I happened to like some of Vash's as well.

This also defeats the whole purpose of re-jigging the vote system. For the DLP awards next year, they aren't going to be hand-picking who can vote and who can't. Don't cherry pick.

Come up with some criteria, and let's stick to it. 350 posts minimum? Fine. Must be over the age of 45? Okay, fine. Just make it universal standards whatever they are.

18. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Random people could work, but I'd like to use whatever criteria that gets agreed on for next years awards. The whole thing Bio was pushing.

Possible criteria that has been suggested on that thread so far:

Number of posts somewhere between 50-100 minimum
    Member for X number of days (60-90?)
    Certain # of rep points or reputation

I'm not a big fan of reputation, but I'd go for a combination of #of posts and # of days as a member say 75 posts and 90 days of membership? If they see too much post whoring in the run up to the vote, then they can adjust the number up for the awards next year.

Jim

19. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

This kinda has clusterfuck written all over it. Pretty much everyone at this site is strongly opinionated, and not everyone likes the same type of stories. Since no matter what I say, it'll go through anyway, carry on. For the voting system, though why not use a combination of Bio's idea and something like jury duty. Like, Vash gets to put a certian amount of people on the panel, as does Jbern, while Raven or somebody cross-checks them for signs of fan-ism.

20. Midknight

If you're not involved in the dispute, shut the fuck up. I'm letting them go at each other b/c it's a legit beef, but I've warned folks constantly about flame baiting, trolling, and just being cocks with business that doesn't concern them, and I'm getting fed up with it.