1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Office - A Mafia Game

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    I'm not entirely sure I do?

I mean I guess I learned a lot about how I play from a recent game (no not the one you're probably thinking of) so I'm feeling pretty comfortable about how I wanna approach this. I suppose as a result I'm not feeling as agitated or pressured as I have the past few games and that might have some effect on my posts.

2. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I was hinting at having to scumread you for doing anything at all.

But I actually like relaxed you.

I also like both Weiayo and SS, but catch ups like those are inherently more contentheavy than RVS and realtime interactions, so I'll refrain for handing out townreads there just yet.
    --- Post automerged ---
    @fontisian Am I paranoid in noticing a bit of a lack of thread presence from Vaimes?

I know it's early, but that's never stopped him before.

3. yeavoxxtalknah

yeavoxxtalknah Muggle

Yes. It's barely been 12 hours into a 73 hour phase.

Any sort of volume read at this point deserves a raised eyebrow.

4. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Let me put it this way. I'm used to people, including you, coming into thread, saying hi, making comments, whatever. You just jump into an unrelated debate, and argue about stuff and push people for iirc the first 5-10 minutes before saying hello or doing, like, anything else. There's no problem with engaging early, there's no problem with jumping into a conversation per se, I just felt like you did both it in a way somewhat uncharacteristic for you and I dunno. Didn't come across as a normal, natural thread entrance, really.

Then you hedge'n'shade the hell out of your yeahvoxx read, and qualify it... let's just go with "more than I would expect".

Also I wanted to make a spicy vote before I went to bed.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You agree with 113's read of me, but vote 113? Or did I misunderstand? If I didn't, why vote a player who's wolf read you agreed with?

I thought it was obvious that when I mentioned keeping my eye on Stanari, ISOing her would be involved. I found it odd that a seasoned player like Vira needed clarification on that when it's a reasonable assumption to make imo. I mean, everyone is gonna be ISOing people to get firm reads, right? Seemeed like a redundant question. But I'm probably reading toomuch into it.

Looking at 113's grievances against me, he's smelling a bit wolfy. I'm being a bit defensive here, but his case for me is based on things derived from my relative inexperience with mafia, like that's some sort of offense. Everyone played a first game at some point, no? This is actually my second, but I dropped out of the first game (which was 2 years ago btw) around day 2 due to irl stuff, so I didn't do much there.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Not ready to call it a scumread on 113 yet tho. Will wait to see more from Stanari before I consider changing my vote.

6. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Re:this... it's not really relevant, I have fewer issues with the behavior overall and more with how it lines up with what I know of SR. /Shrug.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Grabbing a bite to eat, will be back and catch up in a secundo.

7. GeneralHankerchief

GeneralHankerchief Muggle

Okay, I haven't really read the thread in-depth, but I'd like to examine a few things that caught my interest in my catchup. We'll divide this into categories.

------

Category 1: The copypastas

As a lot of people have noticed, the first 12 hours of this game have been filled with copypastas. While these have come from different sources, I'm going to try to analyze the immediate reactions to them and see if I can glean anything from it.

First copypasta: Yeahvoxxtalknah's seer copypasta

I don't know the original source of this pasta, but future posts appear to point to 2+2's POG forum. Let's analyze the reactions:

Vira, pretty sure she hasn't played on POG, seems fine. Reaction was fairly quick.

Zack is familiar with the source (Hoya is most likely the guy who made the pasta, he plays on POG) and comments on it. NAI from him.

I like Vira's reaction a bit better than Miner's but there's nothing about Miner's that goes either way.

Not really liking this reaction from Proph, particularly because he's kind of sort of pointing out his hypocrisy but not really and he's not actually commenting on the game here. Also I didn't realize that Proph put down a pasta but I don't feel like going back to it.

In post 72 Zack posts the source of the pasta, Vira asks a question if that guy who made the pasta was really the seer. I think this is another good look from Vira, it's like she's really trying to get information. Also worth noting that Proph linked to the end of that game so he knew what was happening.

Looks good: Vira
    Looks bad: Proph (marginally)
    NAI: everyone else

Second copypasta:

The source of this pasta is probably something that less people would get than the other two: Specifically, it's Newcomb's entry post from the 2016 wildcard game, the first game we played together, which he used himself as pasta in the WC Reunion game from 6 months ago. I also got lazy and didn't bother to change any of the names around, so it's easily identifiable as Not Actually From This Game.

Immediate reactions:

NAI from Stanari.

NAI from Vira.

This one's my favorite, and I'm giving it a slightly larger townread than I should be just for the sheer confusion.

Further confusion from Miner, on the surface it's like he's actually trying to read into this, but for some reason I just like Fable's more.

No comment.

Anyway, Vaimes referenced the post as well (mostly its popularity) and then other things happened and it got lost in the ether. Fable came out of it looking the best, but that was really nothing. Probably the least informative of all of the pasta reactions.

Third copypasta: The Awaclus Ploy

A few minutes after I left the thread, Newcomb came in and immediately started referencing Awaclus, a notorious player from Game 11 of this year's championships. I'm not surprised he did this, as he's been wanting to do this for a while, and this is an audience that features a lot of players who would instantly be able to recognize what he was doing.

Reactions:

Bit surprising as Fable didn't recognize it and took it at face value, but I don't think he paid much attention to Champs beyond his games this year so it probably doesn't mean anything.

Stanari should DEFINITELY get the reference and she did. She gets the tiniest sliver of townreads for NOT WANTING Newcomb and myself to be mafia. (this is a bad read on my part)

Miner is an interesting case. He doesn't get the reference and takes it at face value, but:

This is... strange, and I think Miner's giving a surface read at best here. Newcomb and Awaclus are diametrically opposed players - I couldn't think of two more different approaches to the game if I tried. Newcomb even broke jury protocol of not tipping our hand as to talking about strength of gameplay to the players in question in order to dunk on Awaclus in Awac's postgame. And yet Miner doesn't really question it at all.

Hmm.

There's also Zack talking about stuff but really I just wanted to mention the Miner thing and move on.

---------

Category 2: Other thoughts

I'm not that big of a fan of Fonti's entry post going after Zack, I feel like she's aware enough of the differences between DLP and other sites where comfort level/meta adjustment is taken into account, and she's not really doing it. Particularly considering the recent influx of players this site has had.

I'm also townreading Zack, he's coming out and swinging when he sees people coming after him and generally not shying away from a fight. Zack has the capability to do this as scum, but I feel like given recent experiences, faced with what he's faced so far, he'd be more likely to internalize some of these things and put them in wolfchat. Here though, the thread is his only outlet (I don't see him using the provided QT regardless of alignment), so he's engaging.

I'd like to talk about Newcomb's first non-Awaclus post:

I like his vote/reasoning on Miner, similarly for what I talked about. That said, I'm nowhere close to locking in Newcomb as town yet, particularly as he hasn't done a full catch-up, and I'm also a tiny bit taken aback that he didn't reference my copypasta (which he was the original source) at all.

I don't even know if it means anything, just saying.

8. Zack

Zack Squib

Cuth and GH both in here now, guess I'll stick around for a bit.

9. GeneralHankerchief

I have you as probably my biggest town right now. Give me your top two wolves so I can start properly sheeping.

10. Zack

Zack Squib

I don't think analyzing reactions to pasta is super useful, but I believe GH might think it is.

Also figure if he's a wolf he wouldn't bother giving such detail into why he's townreading me (I'd expect "Zack is my top town" or some such and move on to the next talking point).

11. GeneralHankerchief

I was just about to ask what you thought of my read on you, so thanks for the answer in advance.

12. Zack

Zack Squib

:fry:
    --- Post automerged ---
    [​IMG]
    Is the 'f' being on the second line bothering anyone else?

13. GeneralHankerchief

It was an extension of my initial read on you.

And my goal is to make my name take up two lines on as many forums as possible.

14. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Yes, it's something that doesn't line up with what I'd expect from fonti, as either alignment, and I was noting it in the hopes I could make more sense of it at some later point, because I don't really see how it makes sense, all things being equal, across the board.

If I remember correctly, was more the way he went about it/misrepresentation of what I was saying in the post than the conclusion, which I could understand.

15. Zack

Zack Squib

How do I disable the forum from saving the post I already submitted after every auto-merge, or every time I quote a post and decide not to reply after all? It's so annoying.

16. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I went to bed at 200 posts and wake up to like.. 600. And its the same people posting haha.

17. Zack

Zack Squib

When have you ever tried to openly sheep me like that before?

18. GeneralHankerchief

I haven't.

How does this make you feel.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Should be a question mark at the end of the post, it's a genuine question.

19. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

GH, when are you expecting to have read the thread by? Is this an ongoing process while you joke around with Zack, or?

20. Zack

Zack Squib

[​IMG]