1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Mother of Learning by nobody103 - T - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Betosa, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

It was my impression that after talking to the Guardian, Zorian felt that the only person who would be able to leave the loop would be Zach, so he was going to improve his Soul magic ability so that he could hitch a ride/leave a trojan horse attached to Zach's soul, who would then inject it with outofloopZorian so that Zorian gets to keep his shaping/mana/etc which are tied to the looping soul.

2. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Hey, guys, this thread has been around for a long ass time and now I'm curious about the story itself.

What is the quality of the story? characters? themes? setting..etc.

Is it worth picking up or is it more of an almost recommended type?

3. Vanathor

Vanathor Third Year

It's worth a read. It's not for everyone, but if it was awful it wouldn't have the sort of following it has. Give it a shot. Read like the first five or ten chapters see if it hooks you.

4. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    There's 92 votes averaging to a rating of 4.5 and fifty pages of discussion. I'd say it's a safe bet it's worth checking out if nothing else.

To me one of the greatest draws is how it handles character interactions and development when people outside the loop can't remember what happens. It's a very interesting dynamic that isn't usually handled very well.

5. Donimo

Donimo Auror

If you like groundhog day style time travel its a great read. There are pacing issues to be certain, but the characters are well done and the story is interesting itself. The world building is also quite neat, I've never seen 'video game' fantasy done well in literature.

6. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

7. Vanathor

Vanathor Third Year

Glad Zorian finally has soul sight. Wonder how it develops from there.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I suppose this is a final confirmation that Veyers is the Red Robe. Sure, there could be a twist to that, but unless it's something really amazing that have plenty of clues we simply aren't aware are clues before the final revelation, I would say forcing it isn't the best choice.

9. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I wouldn't go so far as saying 'final confirmation,' but yeah, Veyers is probably red robe. However, he could just as easily have been soulkilled for some reason, and this wouldn't be a plot twist; Zach suggested it in the scene.

Anyone else getting mixed messages on what soul magic is supposed to be capable of? Alanic said that it isn't really used in combat, but that plant was doing some pretty ridiculous shit with souls as shields, weapons, and as make-shift limbs.

I am also thinking that Silverlake is going to be unique in that she will become more difficult to deal with once she learns of the time loop rather than easier. With her immortality, she has very little to gain compared to everyone else that has been brought in so far. A few years of research notes isn't going to be a good bartering chip with her.

10. thattin

thattin Second Year

In a way it's still great for her. She gets the chance to try to make her experimental immortality potion. They'll still probably have to get the spider eggs though (or at least the salamander).

11. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Yeah she'll get many opportunities to test her potions with incredibly rare ingredients. Zorian gets to offer her exactly what she wants.

12. One

One Second Year

About this chapter:

I agree with those above; Silverlake is only going to get more annoying and difficult to deal with, after accepting the time loop being real. Her pride will probably be hurt that 2 'brats' got a lot more from her than she did from them.

Also,

Couldn't they have used a Golem to collect the soul flower? Golems have no souls for the flower to affect and would be among the safest options possible. I was honestly waiting for Zorian to bring that subject up; it seems out of character for him to be so reckless.

And

I honestly cannot see Ibery as a yandere

13. deathcross

deathcross Squib

High Score:
    The author addressed a similar query on his Patreon account:

J H
    Wouldn't it be way easier to just send his golems to take care of the soulseizer flower? They don't have souls that can get attacked.

Domagoj Kurmaic
    They also cannot kill it carefully enough to preserve it's value as an alchemical ingredient. If he just wanted to kill it, he would have burned it to cinders with artillery magic while staying firmly outside it's striking range.

14. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    Updated. https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/76/Mother-of-Learning

I find it very hard to feel sorry for Fortov. Sure, Damien was not exactly a good brother, but Fortov wasn't without faults either. And I've never been fond of being lazy and complaining about hard work (This was not exactly confirmed, but heavily implied).

Red Robes situation continues to be interesting.

Silverlake is still fun. Very curious about what she has to say about the primordials.

15. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Well after this chapter I'm back to thinking Daimen is Red Robe.

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Interesting chapter. Seems like the next one's gonna have big reveals. This chapter solidified to me how fundamental Zach is now for y enjoyment of this fic. Just Zorian alone would've been a lot more boring, specially with how he tends to isolate himself.

17. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The chapter title had me worried. Critical Blunder? What was?

I actually stopped reading this fic just before Zorian's meeting with Daimen. For some reason. I love the fic and I've reread it like three times... I guess I just dreaded the meeting and wasn't enjoying it too much atm? Regardless, I caught up like a week ago. Stuff with Silverlake was probably my favorite bit in those chapters.

Zorian and his brothers are such realistically flawed human beings. It's kinda impressive how well the author managed that. And yeah, I have no sympathy for Fortov either. Frankly, Zorian's attitude is like 90% justified if you ask me. His parents are even more unlikeable than his brothers.

I have no idea who the Red Robe is and I'm actually kinda happy about that.

18. bastur2

bastur2 DA Member

I think that Red Robe is the lawyer. He has a connection to the cult, to Veyers and from him to Zach (who was looking for lawyers at a point in time to learn how to deal with his tutor) and a reason to want the government down.

19. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

Daimen forgetting the promise he made to Fortov? Thereby getting Fortov to depend on Zorian and we all know how that turned out. It's not a very pretty family overall...

It could also be telling Silverlake the entire truth AND giving her the salamander too. Although it didn't look like such an error at the end.

20. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    My guess is that it's related to her comment at the end about primordials, though I'm not too sure about the details.