1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Office - A Mafia Game

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Just going to say this once, and then move on.

This is a pretty demotivating and frustrating way of being read. Mostly because it's not actually a read, it's a complaint.

"Not enough" is just... it makes me want to apathetically strangle you all, which is a pretty odd feeling.

If you're just griping at me / town who just wants to poke me to do things, it's not appreciated. I do. not. have. time. to post up a storm. I haven't in this game, I didn't in WHI, I didn't in JPM. I haven't for almost a year now. This isn't "evolving meta" so much as "having shit going on other than mafia." It is entirely too frustrating to be judged, /still/, on like, my first four games when I was first getting into mafia and everything was fresh and fun and I could pour six hours a day into the thing.

If you're actually treating this as a read, I'd suggest ditching it into the dumpster where it belongs and checking out the following posts:

Which is really just a less articulated version of this post from Typhon:

That is how you read me. Not tone, not post count (lol), not engagement, not how spicy or boring my reads are, not how much I'm interacting versus catching up, but that.

I cannot - cannot - fake the way I just think out loud and try to worm my head into other people's heads and the twists and turns and sometimes dead ends that this process takes. It's not a read that you can get in 10 seconds, like Vaimes, but in its own way, it is just as obvious, just as blatant. If you only take the time to look, to really track and sink into my thoughts.

In theory, I trust town to not be lazy and actually get there, but, a warning: both because of my time constraints and my general playstyle philosophy, I'm not going to belabor this point, after this post.

It's on you, in other words. I've been pretty obviously town to my satisfaction, I've cleared myself to my personal standards and benchmarks, and that's all I need to do.

Well, except for one thing.

I swear to fucking god Vaimes if you burn me for this after JPM, I'm going to stop fucking townshielding you in every game we ever play on general principal. It's about time the favor was returned. And no pussyfooting around, either. You get to town on me, it's your damn turn to hold back the mob with a whip and a chair.

(this is said partly as just kind of... pressure release valve, but assuming you are in fact town, you have to admit that this is not exactly an equitable relationship here.)

____

Going to limit myself to 5 minutes per, tops.

.113 -

Re: our earlier exchange. I don't really find this to be happening in his ISO. His most recent reads give me the impression that he's keeping mislynches open, that or there's some kind of glossing over going on. For example -
    There are more words about her being a theoretically good wolf than about her being town, and the heart of the townread is "solving and playing well," and he ends up at "pretty sure." Which is like.... pretty damn opaque, to me. Doesn't feel entirely real.

One thing I like from 113 is that there are some of his posts that kind of give the impression of, hm... not having a team? Like his wolfread on Jan, then someone telling him Jan claimed Mason, then he goes -
    Which feels organic. Doesn't quite feel like a wolf who's forced to awkwardly change up. It's.... probably fakeable? But somewhat indicative of 113's whole game here.

The push on Vira is kind of... hyperbolic, especially the "you can't claim perfection and have shit reads" thing. I could sort of see that as just like, self-righteous town? But it feels a little more like bristling wolf.

Eh-eh. Mixed bag on 113. I'd prooooobably vote there but I wouldn't feel amazing about it.

Cuthalion - /shrug.gif. I'm not a fan of some of the swipes at me. 1) Saying I've been "promising more", which, ???. Piggybacking onto Yeti's read -

In a way Cuth feels like SR's good twin, or evil twin depending on your perspective? Their posts both kind of fall into this "seems reasonable, maybe overly reasonable, and slightly disengaged for the amount of words they post" broad category. I like Cuth more on a holistic level; I'm seeing little things like asking for Vira's scumgames, and then actually doing something with them. Which is again, not something I'm like, super comfortable hanging a read on. Tbh I'm really just hoping SR is a wolf here and that would clear Cuth, which is a holdover from D1.

Dyachei - I kind of thing Dya as a wolf here doesn't so completely / frequently lean on posts about being ignored / posts about things she's already said, lamenting the fact that no one is listening to her. Also, not with SR for that recent exchange. That line about "not being allowed to push him" felt kind of... indignantly villagery. Yeah. Thin read.

Fable - Pretty massive dropoff D2. I think if he's a wolf here, his team's in a great position? Reading wolfchat in RWBY gave me the impression that Fable, as a wolf, thrives on adversity. I think if like, either of SR/Koalas were a wolf here, or both of them were, he'd be way more present, mixing it up, causing confusion, getting cred. Instead he's just... around. Like, there's just no way wolf!Fable comes in pushing Koalas for an info lynch if either Koalas/SR are wolves with him. It's way too weak.

Kinda like the hipstery scumread on ScottSlot? Want to hear more about it, at any rate.

Overall, maybe dropped a few ticks but still thinking town here.

Fontisian - Okay, so I've been going over this for like at least a full day, debating if I should even post it or not, but I think I want to.

About 3 hours separate these two posts. It just... it's so damn motivated. I've rolled it around in my head and I just do not think town!fontisian actually pushes that angle. It's safe, it's easy, it ignores context.

Like... put yourself in town!fonti's head there. She knows that's a lynch that's probably not going to happen without a significant investment. She's just seen me say I'm busy. And she posts... an ultimatum? How does that make sense, how does that go through someone's head? As a wolf it's posturing, it's an agenda, it's a way to look like you're concerned or whatever, it's... 100% about appearances. It makes so much sense.

As town you have to like, put her in a mindset where she's actively ignoring what she knows about me, in order to do... what? I draw a blank.

I don't expect anyone to really pick up this read and drive it, because it feels almost.... personal? Meta in a really level-y way? It's also based on like... one single thing. Which probably doesn't have the significance for other people. But I'm dropping her all the way down to a moderate scumlean. Don't expect a lynch toDay, but I want to ISO her when I get a chance and see if this holds up.

Jarizok - ? Doesn't feel like he's hedging in the way I've seen him do as a wolf, super thin read.

Koalas - In for a penny, in for a pound. Town. If he's a wolf he's not changing a game that's not working. I know he can spool out cases on people that look reasonable, and his GH thing was not that. It's essentially a meta read based on like, two wolf games two years ago. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and if I /am/ wrong and he's lynched anyway and flips red I'd half jokingly but half seriously ask to be vig'd out of my misery because I don't want to deal with the fallout, but yeah.

Miner - Not much has changed from D1, really. Without really getting into it as it's vaguely skirting into OGI, I want to say that I think that interaction with Yeti goes down a lot differently if Miner knew Yeti was town, and a /lot/ differently if Miner knew Yeti was a wolf with him.

ScottPress->Owner - Some vague swirly doubts that haven't coalesced into anything resembling a reason, still solid town.

Secondhand Revenant - See recent ISO. Moderate wolf read.

Sooh-> Jan - Mason claim; will either be proven or exposed via setup, theoretically.

Stanari - Please don't make me read this ISO. Huge top level read: feels like she's not careful about what she says in a villagery way. Hard to wrap my head around in totality.

Swedish Skumbag->Yeti - If I could magically learn one person's alignment in this game, it would be this slot's. SS said a lot, a lot of people said stuff about SS, I've gone from thinking the slot was pretty town mid D1 to kind of sideyeing SS hard at day end, to really wanting nothing to do with Yeti's attitude, to kind of digging into her longer posts and maybe coming around on them? Basically just... there is a ton of meat here. I want to know. I don't think I'd be shocked by seeing either flip. There's an aspect to Yeti that does feel very... performative. Trying to suss out how much of that is playstyle. I kind of think it's a fair bit? On the to-do list is looking at Yeti's ISO of me in detail. I feel like if I really sit down with that post and put it under a microscope, I can make a judgement on if Yeti knew I was town going into it or not.

Tom - It would be karmic justice to get pocketed here, but I'm sticking with a pretty firm town on tom here. It's kind of... hard to want to scumread him this game, because like a delicate bird, I don't want to scare him away from keeping this playstyle. He's right that it's basically how I've always wanted him to play, and while it would be flattering, I don't have a big enough ego to think that tom would actually specifically tailor his wolfgame to pocket me. More to the point, and more recently, something I've liked out of tom was his kind of zig-zag with me. Coming out with some doubts, some paranoia, some things he didn't like, and then reacting to my SR ISO by reaffirming the townread based on the fact that we were looking at the same part of the game. It just felt... organic. Like really, what is the plan here as a wolf? I think he'd almost double down with the shade here, given the thread attitude towards me. I don't think he could resist the temptation to actually try to get mislynched. Like yeah, maaaaybe he'd be afraid of tipping his hand by going that way, but I kind of doubt it? And if he were a wolf, I was kind of already at least semi in the pocket, why do that little dodge and dodge back? It doesn't feel like an agenda, it feels like he's really trying to sort me.

Tsaiah - Focusing entirely on that big reads post. It's... believable, I guess. Probably leans a little too heavily on talking about meta/feels to score that highly on the "can't fake that" meter, but I'm still buying it. I particularly like some of the little details/nuance, like asking for an ELI5 case on SS's EoD vote movement in the Yeti section. It seems agenda-less. Similarly, the line about her impression of me being self-resolving and being "a little surprised" to hear people talking about a D2 lynch just felt... yeah, agendaless is still the best word. I'm.... not quite as in love with the "Weirdness Feels" section. The reads on 113/Koalas/Cuth feel kind of stale, like they're reworded thread general opinion without any real critical thought. I can certainly sympathize with trying to bite the entire apple with a limited amount of time, so I'm inclined to be kind of loose with this aspect of the read and not ding her for it. I'd feel a lot more solid about this read if that big post of hers had something approaching a coherent, forthright push, but... 4K posts, 72 hours, limited time, I get it. I'd call this a decent townread. More posts like that big one, Tsaiah. I liked reading it a lot, props if you made it as a wolf :thumbs.

Vaimes - Read unchanged. He's town, 95% sure. Brief moment of doubt at that shot at me just now that I talked about above, but I ended up thinking that if he were a wolf, he wouldn't dare push me for the exact same reason he did in JPM (where we were v/v), especially after that ended up making us tussle in that game. I think he'd be afraid of getting into it with me. My instinct is that he's town and just like... is super busy / lazy and literally didn't make that connection (but would have as a wolf).

Vira - Her reads list rubbed me the wrong way for reasons I'll have to put off until I have more time. Hipfire read is that she'd be more high impact as a wolf but game size might mitigate that.

Weiyaoli - See recent ISO. Think he's town here.

Zack - Town, ish. Some vague notions that he's spewed clear, given how the thread's treating him. There's one post that's stuck out in my mind, that I've been kind of rolling around in my head, and it's that one from near EoD.

OK it's actually two posts -

I've been trying to find a way to put my feeling into words, and I think it's something like... I get the sense that this is Zack trying to like, almost bully people into this lynch. It's not just a conviction read, it's almost like... a threat, or something. Which... hm, is not a slam dunk case or anything, it's just. Doesn't feel quite right.

___

Pretty much ran out of time to flesh these out more; I have rehearsal in 10 minutes, won't be around for EoD.

Zack/fonti/Vira/SR/Yeti/113 is my "if I had to guess 6" team. Zack./fonti is a little tinfoil; I need to go back and look at how they interacted with each other - and how they didn't - after that fight. Yeti is also a bit of an outdated read. Maaaaybe Koalas slots into that slot, if I"m just bad. Vira's probably too tinfoil to go onto that team but I want to explore it, at least. Cuth could be a wolf if SR isn't, and slots... hm, might be a problem on that team. But yeah that's my "taking people from every layer of the cake" team guess, as this doesn't feel like a game where wolves are all kind of in the middle doing the same thing.

Best of luck.

2. Zack

Zack Squib

How do you think it would look different if I'm a villager?

3. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    I just want to say I don't like this, yeti-omgus be damned.

She got no response to her last question about koalas' scumgame, because no one really has an opinion on koalas' scumgame. So why is she asking again?

4. Yeti

Yeti Muggle

Is it? lolme I thought fonti and dya voted you after the fight with .113 but I think you're right cause I was like "oh dya voted technically in favor of SR."
    --- Post automerged ---
    Because I want to know why tf nobody is answering me about Koalas' scumgame???????????????????????

Like what do people have to hide not answering about it? I don't know if this is his scumgame but it sure af looks suspicious to me.

5. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    @tsaiah

Find me a post that made you townread Vaimes!
    Does lack of agenda necessarily make Fable town?
    Find me a Zack post that you thought was knee-jerk town too.
    What do you make of Scott's dropoff (I'm speaking of like...towards the end of D1)?
    Do you think getting tilted over being ignored is AI for Dya?
    In what way do you think SS was being a lifeline for quieter town?

"I like the way he seems to evaluate from an if scum this/if town that perspective, which generally makes me feel like someone’s actually trying to determine alignment/come at reads from a town mindset."

:newspaper:

What are your current feelings on Yeti?

6. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    SR:

Like his first few posts, dislike Cuth’s vote that SR quoted for “weird entrance.” Honestly trying to figure out the game, re: Miner falling for Newcomb’s c/p troll, asking things in scumchat, and derpclears. Eventually votes Miner, which he mentioned beforehand, so the vote is okay, though was earlier prompted on why he didn’t vote and replied that he wasn’t thinking of voting right now. Which is NAI because apparently this is a thing (*cough*Kalas*cough*) when votes should be used often and without hesitation. Likes Proph’s posts when it was unpopular to like Proph. Cuth’s argument about SR’s entrance from what SR quoted is lol.

Votes .113 for strange Kalas vote and SR wanting to start another wagon. Also says wouldn’t mind a GH lynch but doesn’t get why he’s being heavily scumread. Cuth maybe but SR is afraid his annoyance at Cuth over last game has transferred over. Eventually votes GH and would “feel bad” if he’s wrong because GH is townreading him. Suddenly votes Proph despite defending him earlier? Apparently got off GH because of the “GH claim” thing bugging him. Pretty sure GH never claimed and the context of this is lost from my memory. Why Proph?

Says he’s warming up to a GH lynch because GH isn’t being paranoid over him, and now SR can’t ask why because GH ditched. With an hour left in D1, votes GH. Kinda wants to CFD Proph but okay with leaving it for toMorrow. This post:

Why does he want to really lynch Proph for not talking about GH, but then is uncertain of GH’s alignment if Proph flips scum? Why would scum Proph avoid talking about town GH?

Votes Kalas for his response to his claim and SR admits he may be tunnelling Cuth. Also says “can’t be wrong about Proph now.” Snipes a little at Zack for questioning the repetition of his Cuth read. Scumreads Kalas, 113, and maybe Miner. Proph is apparently chopped liver.

Cue argument with Dya. I’m trying not to automatically skim. Oh, fuck summerizing.

Read the rest.

SR getting super snipey and defensive against the people on his wagon. Seems to have spent a lot of time arguing rather than scumhunting, but he has been talking to other people and questioning his reads. Tbh, I’m not quite sure of his scum/town reads anymore because he’s trying to throw his entire wagon off a cliff.

Questions:

1. Where is SR’s vote right now? His ISO doesn’t say.

2. Is SR acting like his town game or scum game?

I liked SR’s thread entrance, but his scumhunting has fallen off in favor of defending himself. I don’t get his Proph read or the post I quoted. Maybe I missed a D1 post where SR went into Proph before he voted?

I’m okay with either Kalas or SR dying.

7. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

ilu Newcomb

Unvote, vote Koalas

8. Yeti

Yeti Muggle

Ok yeah after SR fights with .113 the votes from fonti and dya come in onto Koalas. MY B.

9. Secondhand Revenant

Secondhand Revenant Muggle

Newcomb's team is possibly worse than Tom's.

10. tsaiah

tsaiah Squib

He was town, I ate that hat.

11. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    Proph...is also the deads.

12. Zack

Zack Squib

The first post was responding to someone saying people from MU were voting GH.

The second post was ... after GH already died. The day after.

13. Yeti

Yeti Muggle

I find it kinda interesting that Newcomb quotes Vaimes re: my post ISOing Newcomb but doesn't interact with my post at all or the questions I pose in it?

That scumteam posit seems really out of touch with the last, I dunno, 24 hours of the thread?

14. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Oh the drop off from me isn't AI at all....well not as AI as some people would think. It's something about me I don't think anyone has really caught onto but I have trouble maintaining interest in large games. It's just how my brain works and how I play I have trouble having deep thoughts on so many people at once so I kinda just shut off until it gets to a more manageable number.

15. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Gonna just go ahead and say I think that's a town Newcomb post.
    I don't think its this obvious:
    "I cannot - cannot - fake the way I just think out loud and try to worm my head into other people's heads and the twists and turns and sometimes dead ends that this process takes. It's not a read that you can get in 10 seconds, like Vaimes, but in its own way, it is just as obvious, just as blatant. If you only take the time to look, to really track and sink into my thoughts."
    But... I think it's less... that.
    He can do it. It's fooled me before. But this looks real.

16. Zack

Zack Squib

I agree.

17. Secondhand Revenant

Secondhand Revenant Muggle

I don't remember quite how it went down d1, but I don't believe I got off GH because of something GH did. I think it was Proph obsessing over GH lack of claim that got me to switch on the Proph.

That was a response to someone asking about Proph being quiet about gH.

Scum Proph would have avoided talking about town GH because he doesn't want to push him and get his hands dirty, may not want to defend him because he'd be pleased with the wagon was my thinking at the time.

This is d2, proph is chopped liver because he's dead. Also I was thinking of jumping on to Proph when the day started, that's why I was thinking I can't get that wrong now.

Not *all* of them and I recognize it can't be all.

Koalas

Feel like no one has a decent grasp of them at this point -_-

But obviously not really a question for me lol

18. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure he made that post on D1? Because on Monday he said "Other than that, at least can't be wrong on Proph now" then an hour later, mentioned his scumreads.

19. Yeti

Yeti Muggle

Vira you're okay with SR or Koalas dying - do you think these are w/w wagons then? Do you think SR/Koalas are teamed together?

20. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    I kind of viscerally want to townread Newcomb for that post.

BTW feel free to throw me through a window if I'm posting too much lol.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Monday. Aka D2? Yes? No? Am I bad at counting?