1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Office - A Mafia Game

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    I dunno, other shenanigans are still possible.

2. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    @fontisian - Thanks for the Miner read there, I can mostly see where you're coming from with it, still don't think he's at the same level of Vaimes/Newcomb/Yeti/Stanari but I'm pretty happy to just put him aside as town for now and spend my time elsewhere since it's unlikely I'm going to get through everyone properly today.

Was going to table the Scott/Owner slot but since you're around I wouldn't mind talking about it a bit since you seem to have a strong town read on it which....I haven't had since Scotts mid D1 posting and could see the slot as scum. What do you know re; Owners preference in alignment and when should be expecting her to actually turn up again?

Here's my read on the slot; I liked how relaxed he seemed inside the early game with his Proph vote in Post #125 (Although it probably looks less good now that the people voting Proph at the time is 2 flipped townies and Vaimes) and the interaction that followed with Stanari from Post #146 to Post #195, the read he has on Stanari and how he constantly references his thoughts and feelings on her throughout his ISO come across fairly genuine. I like his parts about Stanari in Post #1568 but the attempt to link both Stanari-GH there and subsequently scum read GH due to it feels...bad as does some of the reasoning behind some of his other reads, willing to accept that a large portion o this may be due to him being a newer player but I'd say he's more competent than the normal 'new' player? I did not like Owners entrance posts at all, I'm aware she's the type to get hung up on early posts when catching up regardless of her alignment but the response towards you in Post #3583 came across rather forced and the "Person I don't know, are you still alive? Only answer if you are" does even moreso particularly given it's almost a certainty that he was the mafia night kill. Little of her posting afterwards felt like she was trying to gamesolve too? So like, sell me on this slot being 'forever town' please?

3. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

I like Tsaiah today. Thoughts, Stnaaaaar?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Fair enough.

I just don't think the answer is "two more town vigs and a wolf nightkill".

4. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

All those links seem to bring me to the top of page two. I'll just, uh, find them manually.

5. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Does Reg wordvomit with regularity as either alignment?

6. fontisian

It's all he knows how to do.

7. Yeti

Yeti Muggle

I subbed in and people accused this slot of being w/w with Koalas but I felt that SS was never w/w with Koalas when he voted Koalas instead of "consolidating" to GH. Especially with the Koalas claim, SS as a wolf bussing Koalas just didn't make any sense (me knowing the slot is town aside).

I don't know where else SS voted entirely except he was also on Cuth which I think was a fair vote.

8. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    I do too! She's getting there.
    --- Post automerged ---
    When you make postlinks you have to use the permalink from clicking the post number or it does unhappy things on different PPP.

9. fontisian

Right, so I specifically like "I was going to reply "how am I being defensive", then realized THAT would be defensive. So fair point. What's NAI btw?" from #195. It felt too smooth to come from new scum and self aware in a positive way.

The next part is:
    "Okay, here's the process. I voted Stanari, then a second Stanari vote comes in, Vira asks why the wagon.

Stanari asks why not the wagon.

I'm thinking this: if I were townreading Stanari, then Vira's post about why the wagon would seem suspicious to me. But I wasn't townreading Stanari at the time of that post, so I wasn't sure if that was more likely to be a wolf trying to seem towny (if Stanari is scum) or my scumread was wrong and Stanari was just being town pointing out sth worth looking at. So my (weak) scumread on Stanari was weakened. Does that make sense?"
    I think it reflects paranoia in a way that's pretty hard to fake for someone that's not really familiar with the game? I can't see scum!Scott even thinking of this read, let alone bothering to give it.

From #1568, there's: "Something in particular that caught my attention. Could be said that I’ve been tunnelling Stanari too much, but I feel vindicated."
    I'll emphasize on the last fours words, because they sound really genuine. Again, there's self awareness, but that doesn't seem to be stopping him from pursuing his way to solve the game.

I also like this about the Zack/me fight:
    "(I was actually leaning town on Zack and scum on fonti, but after further consideration became less sure of each till they ended up in the middle)"
    I can just completely see myself going through that same thought process back when I first started.

He tunneling Stanari, but he's not relying on that to be the end all be all of his play. Example:
    "Leaning scum: GH (like I said before, interaction looked possibly like w/w with Stanari, but far from sure)"
    There's a lot more explanation behind that read, but the important bit is that his conviction against stanari is influencing his reads /and/ he's not just focusing her into the ground. Like, I can see the way he scumread Stanari so much and how that warped his view of everyone else.

And finally:
    "Not sure if this is the best way to play tbh. Catching up 100s of posts and then slapping down a wall, that is. But it's what I'm going to go with for now."
    Again, positive self awareness. He's going ahead with something even though he's really not sure of himself and is being honest about that, and not in a manipulative way.

It's important to remember that Scott played for like a day before this two whole years ago before replacing out. He's smart, sure, but he is absolutely newer than his language reflects.

I'm really, really convinced the slot is town.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think I'm going to do the Jari thing tomorrow, sorry. I want to think about it for a bit. Let me know if the Scott thing is convincing or if I should elaborate more.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm just going to quote the whole post to point out that there is a lot of thought put into both the connection between Stanari and GH and then the two of them individually. Yes, the connection itself is reachy, but it's well within the realm of what any paranoid towny hyperfocused on Stanari would see and react to.
    --- Post automerged ---
    @Fable

@Cuthalion I don't know where you stand right now. Please remind me.

10. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

On dya? Is a question mark. I've read her ISO a couple times, have absolutely no feels in any way. Not something I'm used to with dya, but not really sure if AI.

11. fontisian

On everything.

12. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Cheers for the Scott explanation, I can follow most of that, I think the point re; his read on you & Zack is probably one of the more compelling reasons for him to be town, overall still not at the same strength level you are re; the slot being town but I'm happy enough to just move that slot to the side too. I'm happy to wait until tomorrow for your Jarizok read.

I'll try and keep it brief when I'm done catching up on players, just trying to cram my thoughts down while I can be active this day phase (which is only for the next ~18 hours).

Thanks for this.

13. tsaiah

tsaiah Squib

Heh, yeah I'm aware that your answer there is inherently biased, but thank. The interesting thing is that some people called it w/w, and some people said the complete opposite (and iirc most didn't actually explain it, and/or not in a way that made sense to me). Something I'm probably gonna have to just go back and search thru the thread for.

What's your take on second question? (re 4751) Especially interested in Yeti thots there.

14. Yeti

Yeti Muggle

I know that some people say SS voting Koalas, unvoting, and then revoting is what makes them w/w because his reason to revote was meh but again I think "oh we need to consolidate" is such an easy reason to vote GH there and not vote his partner - Koalas now having flipped town aside.

SR EoD? I dunno I do think that he didn't look great coming out of any fights, but I also saw myself in those dumb squabbles where he got too aggro and I could understand why he TR me for it, and didn't feel that I would fake anger as scum much like he wasn't (post-NK info). I also generally don't think that scum let themselves get dragged into slugfests like that, repeatedly, like he did with dya before and then the EoD slog. Like I said in a vacuum of Koalas' claim aside, I did find him more scummy than I found SR.

I think both dya and fonti moving to Koalas to put him up 2 over SR is mildly interesting, knowing that it was v/v wagons. Nobody else was looking to break the tie there but both of them chose Koalas over SR - I think that you should ask dya and fonti what they found townie about SR at EoD because they both chose to vote Koalas over him knowing Koalas' claim. (Or, were they using SR as an excuse to get rid of a town PR?)

I feel like I also had a thought to reply to Stan with but now I don't remember?

15. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

The “cogent defense” was that he... just didn’t feel sleazy and that he was fully capable as mafia of making a better push on GH. It’s almost entirely a meta read. I got to town on him and it bothers me that you couldn’t given that you actually probably know him better.

Me pushing my viewpoint more strongly yesterday would have been a) impossible given my time constraints and b) if successful would have led to SR getting lunched instead so VOV

Seriously tinfoilig Fsble st this point. Think he might know I’m town.

Fonti/Vira seems pretty possible.

Considering just crossing my fingers on Reg; kinda doubt I have enough oomph to push that.

I’m out of town this weekend visiting friends. Will try to pop in when possible but won’t have a computer until Sunday.

Other Mason claim? Tag me if/when

16. fontisian

I was a little distracted by Kalas' complete inability to form any kind of logical read.

17. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Erm. Good question? I liked Zack, with an asterisk, I'm really not sure how I feel about the slot after seeing how he pushed really really hard on several villagers? Still v-reading him, though, ok with what reg's posted. Worried about my mild town circle, didn't like Newc as much as others did, will go over those posts tomorrow if I can?

Not a ton else has changed. Don't know what to think about Vira, read games and inconclusive, she lacks a certain joie de vivre from all her other games. Owner hopefully will catch up and we'll see.

Stan still top town.

18. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Just finished going through Fables ISO and can very easily see him as scum here too, nowhere near the confidence level of Vira!Scum but certainly a lot of issues I've got with his posting, notable problems are;

The read on Vira in Post #810 and Post #818 doesn't feel thought through at all especially with the "She'd be more active as scum" in Post #2095 is far more simplistic in comparison to a lot of his other reads and doesn't really seem like there's been much if any reconsideration on this read from him, him specifically avoiding my big case dropped on Vira today when he strongly town reads her is a huge red flag, like a really big one. I'd expect if someone replaced into a slot that he strongly town read (Which he did re; Zack) and dropped a huge wall scum reading another read of his (Which is the case re; Vira) he'd not just....say nothing and let it all happen? He'd comment on it most certainly.

The push and vote on SR is really contradictory with his stance on SR earlier in Post #1417 where he'd stated he thinks he'll be able to get a solid read on him later and hadn't had any issues with his play, this trends down to a weak scum read in his following posts which is fine but the reasoning behind the vote on him in Post #4339 almost feels like it's a policy vote and using that type of reasoning on someone you've claimed to be solid at reading makes much more sense coming from mafia here.

I think his "Newcombs pocketed me", "RIP If he's scum" type attitude in Post #2045 and Post #2095 feels really fabricated and comes out of nowhere, I think if this was something Fable strongly believed in he'd have touched on it a little more, feels more like a reverse pocket attempt. I also really like Newcombs reasoning that Fables drop off D2 could easily be explained as scum being in a good position which we know was the case given the flips.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Would be nice if you could stick around a bit now, I'm heading out in ~1 hour but just talking over a few reads would certainly help me here. I also don't see any reason for the other mason to claim at this stage but if it happens i'll ping you.

19. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Oh that reminds me: @Newcomb I'm sorry if my posts yesterday came across as me reading you wolfy for not providing content; I know you're busy and that that's not really an AI thing, my reasons are independent. Just wanted to be clear on that level.

20. .113

.113 Squib

Your post was (my time) 03.17 and this one 04.13. How that 2 minutes?