1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

Found an intresting fanfic.

Harry Potter and the Lady Thief By: Starfox5 https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12592097/1/

AU. Framed as a thief and expelled from Hogwarts in her second year, her family ruined by debts, many thought they had seen the last of her. But someone saw her potential, as well as a chance for redemption - and Hermione Granger was all too willing to become a lady thief if it meant she could get her revenge.

The summary is literally what the fic is about. But it does feature a more menacing Voldemort, a good Dumbledore(rare these days), and does great justice to characters. 4/5 for me right now. Oh and it's over 150k words so far.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Hnnn. .. . Another Starfox fic. I can't say I've ever been able to complete one of his fics, but I'll give it a shot.

3. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

For sure, his other fics come out with too much Hermione wank for me. Here it's a bit toned down, or at least justified

4. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I can't really see much difference in this story. The same with Harry which just seems the usual OOC sidekick. It's like a bizzaro HP universe. This whole Hermione and Sirius cat/dog screwball "comedy" might have been a nice joke here and there but now it's just riding a dead horse.

As much effort the writer puts into his stories I can't recall any other who can mess up the characterisation and interaction of the main characters every damn time in that stupid way. I actively dislike reading his stories because they are so frustrating.

5. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    I shit you not - I've seen a reddit comment thread by the author which ends with
    Starfox5: Does this story have Hermione in yet/as a main character?
    Response: No
    Starfox5: Then I'm not interested, thanks.

Wank is apropos for this dude, and his books are all exactly like this. Can't stand the others, can't stand this one either for the same reason as snapdragon

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't understand the Starfox5 wank on the subreddit. Well, that's not true. I do. He writes a lot, finishes his fics, they're all gigantic and updated frequently, and better than 90% of fanfic. So yeah, I absolutely understand. But all he does is Hermione wank wrapped in mediocre writing. I'll reread PotDK for the 17th time before touching any of his stuff again.

7. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I don’t understand how the sub has such a hard on for his creepy fascination with Hermione when a non-trivial amount actively dislike fanon!Hermione. I didn’t crawl the sub or anything, just going off the times I wasn’t down voted into oblivion for saying I dislike the character.

But back to Starfox. He’s probably the primary reason I’m looking for a story where Hermione is never mentioned or gets clubbed to death by troll. Also why Harry calling her a filthy little mudblood in Control cracks me up.

8. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What fic was that?

9. Donimo

Donimo Auror

10. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    It happens at some point in Grimmauld Place.

Yeah, it's my favourite Tracey. Everybody is so concerned with Daphne. I want more of bimbo!Tracey.

11. fire

fire Order Member

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/swords-and-sorcery-fate-stay-night-harry-potter.399084/

FSN/HP crossover; courtesy of messing with the Second Magic, Shirou gets sent to the HP-verse, one subtly different from canon (e.g. female Harry, Rin exists).

Pretty decent overall. The starting chapters were arguably the best, what with everything being new and fresh. It got stale towards the latter parts - mainly because the story felt to be settling into the canon school life, an artifact of (A) Shirou being a very reactive protagonist, and (B) there not being any immediate challenges and problem keeping Shirou offbalance and the plot in tension.

12. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    Quite a pleasant read in my opinion. I like how some of the less exploited by fandom characters are in the spotlight here - a lot of Tonks, her parents, Bellatrix, Rudolphus and later even some Barty to see. It's not always psychologically sound, unfortunately. But I think it deserves a chance - I started reading it without too high expectations and managed to read all of the already posted chapters.

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Starfox happily and eagerly posts his/her fics to every request that comes along. This is part of it.

Another is that he/she hates hates hates DLP, which plays well over there.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does he? I've never seen that. Time to use reddit's shit search function.

Btw I have no problem posting one's own fics in response to requests. I rarely do it myself, but nothing wrong with wanting more readers. But I don't think Starfox5 fics fit every request just because they mention a thousand things in passing, but focus mostly on Hermione wank.

15. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    He got banned from here IIRC.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah he did. Being a shit artist somewhere else on the forums.

17. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    It's not just him, but also InquisitorCOC who's always recommending his fics. To the point that I sometimes wonder if it's the same person. It's happened to my request threads more than once, even when I've explicitly stated "no Hermione". I even started saying the reason I don't like Hermione anymore is Starfox, to hell with the pitchforks.

18. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    You can actually hold reasonable discussion with Inquisitor, that's impossible with Starfox. So they're clearly different people

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Salmon Fishing in the Olympics. James/Lily real world AU oneshot. Solid fluff fic, but there's one line in there that made me legit laugh out loud. There's not really enough there to put it up for the Library, but I enjoyed it well enough.

20. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll admit, that line got me too.

But it is a real world AU, and doesn't gain anything from being fanfiction of HP, as opposed to about Mo Farah (and I know bands have fanfiction written about them, so an athlete isn't that out there).

However, it's short, so worth a flick through.

Not open for further replies.