1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    saw it.

Solid movie. At least as good as the majority of Marvel movies. Not as good as Winter Soldier but definitely better than Thor 1 and 2.

I’d put it solidly at the level of Civil War.

Better by a lot than Batman V. Superman but just shy of being as good as Wonder Woman

7.5/10.

Chance to be 8 or 9 depending on extended dvd version.

Stay for both after credits scenes.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It appears that JL will open around $95m. It's less than WW, which opened around $103m. Depending on how well it performs, it may have some problems to reach $200m in the US.

People blame BvS for that, but like I said, the marketing did its fair share too. And if not for the success of WW, I would say that it's the end of DCEU. As it is, Aquaman finished filming and WW2 is definitely going to happen, but other plans may change.

The next Batman's film will happen, but I expect Affleck to finally decide he will not play Batman any more. Rumours has it that Jake Gyllenhaal has a decent change to replace him.

Superman's probably won't for now.

3. Arthellion

High Score:
    I honestly don’t understand the poor reviews.

Yeah, steppenwolf is a crappy villain (but so are most of Marvel’s). Yes the pacing near the end is off. And yes Affleck seems less info it.

But ultimately this is a solid movie. The lowest grade I could potentially see is a C. Most people who’ve seen it I know loved it.

This is sad.

4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I hated it.

The Avengers influence from Whedon was so glaringly obvious and so at odds with the previous installations. It felt tacked on.

I am a massive DC fan. Huge nerd. I hated that they gave Batman Tony Starkesque one liners. Yes, Batman can be witty but it's a dry humour, which was showcased in Scott Snyder's All star Batman.

The first third was promising, especially the pacing. They didn't spend too long getting bogged down in the backstories, they presented a snippet to show who these people are and allowed the actors and the script to do the rest. Batman was more human, which was great. But towards the end it seemed like Affleck couldn't give a flying fuck about the scenes he was in.

Although I don't consider it a spoiler I will hide it just in case.
    Henry Cavill's return, his reuniting with Lois Lane ("You smell good?" The fuck!?) and his general presence felt very rushed and underdeveloped. Although I enjoyed a more traditional approach to Supes, it did feel like he was finally becoming the Pre 52 Superman, just felt shoehorned in slightly.

The middle act was a mess. Too jarring with the above mentioned issues.

Third act came back on the rails but lost it as it became apparent that they didn't stick to their guns and just decided to make an Avengers clone.

Pissed off with DCCU right now and feel that it's time for them to Flashpoint fuck out of the universe, get in some new directorial talent and take a bloody leaf out of the animated movies.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

7. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, even if the DCEU has been very hit-or-miss, I'd hate to see DC's stable of characters get knocked out of movie-dom. Especially since it'll kill the chances of seeing the more obscure-yet-awesome DC characters come out to play, the way the MCU's success has.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    I just don’t get how you screw up Justice league.

Or Superman
    Or Batman

You even literally have a template for you with the cartoon verse

9. Dano1o

Dano1o Squib

I gotta say I have always preferred marvel whether in comics or movies. JL just seems to reinforced that fact. It was a decent film and I would hate to see it kill DCEU because I loved the Superman and Wonder Woman films. 2.5/5.

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Once again, I love how easy it is for me to enjoy a movie. It's not Winter Soldier or anything, but it's about on par with Civil War, as Arthellion mentioned. I went into it ready to just hate Ezra Miller (Flash was my favorite hero as a kid), but I enjoyed his portrayal of Barry Allen more than anyone I've seen outside of the animated version.

Solid B for me. I get some of the reasons for people not liking it, especially with the level of criticism this lot is capable of, but thankfully I'm easily amused.

11. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

The film is going to have a majorly hard time even making it even.

WB is going to lose a lot of money because of this film.

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...it's already made over $280 million and is less than $20 million from budget?

13. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Less than 50% of box office take goes to the studio, the remainder staying with exhibitors. Factor in the costs of marketing, and it'll need at.least $700 mil to turn profit.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That doesn't sound like a terribly realistic model for the industry.

15. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

There's been a lot of wondering recently in small corners of the web dedicated to film where exactly the final tipping point will be, when making big budget blockbusters will simply no longer be profitable. Consensus is we're within 5 years or so, and then movies will become nothing more than paid advertising for mechandise.

16. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    I don't think big-budget blockbusters will ever be unprofitable. However, it's always been clear that just because you've spent a lot of money doesn't mean you produced a good movie, and the more you spend the more you have to take in to make a profit.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Nah. It's just the matter of controlling what budged you give to the film compared to the risk you're taking.

Marvel films have it perfected. They don't give $200m budged or more unless the previous film in the series earned this kind of money.

But other studios, including Disney, give this kind of budged to films that should never have it. Like John Carter with $250m budged.

A link to a good article about how it works.

18. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    A lot of the problem stems from how the modern moviemaking process can easily lead to the sunk cost fallacy. Disney never planned to spend $250 million on John Carter, but it wound up happening thanks to them constantly hoping that throwing a bit more money at the film would fix all the problems and let them recover/justify what they'd already spent. Likewise with the Whedon re-shoots on Justice League, WB thought throwing the extra money into "fixing" the film was their best chance at avoiding a bomb.

19. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

My impression about JL is that on one hand it's smoother than the last Batman movie or god forbid Suicide Squad. But JL never really grabbed me besides the Superman scenes. I felt like watching a movie from a 3rd person perspective with no real connection to the characters. If you pull an apocalyptical scenario it should be felt that way. IMHO "Man of Steel" is still the best DC movie since Nolan's trilogy.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Caught this last night. Was okay. Good even. Perhaps not what I might have hoped entirely, but worth its money.

I liked performances from most everyone, and the film overall moved at a decent pace.

My favorite bit, surprisingly enough, was Superman's return and the scenes immediately after it. There was something satisfying about them.

Edit: Also Green Lanterns FUCK YEAH BABY LETS GO please don't let the DC ship die before we see a decent Green Lantern

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017