1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction's Worst Summaries v10.0

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    That you do.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Word Count 70,098

/me smdh

3. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Up Your's Dumbles by monbade reviews
    After the Tri-Wizard tournament. Harry is alone, abandoned by his friend during the 4th year and his Godfather and Remus afterwards. Then one morning 2 weeks later he receives a letter. A letter written by his mother and his life changes. (Dumbles, Molly, Ginny and Hermione bashing)
    Rated: M - English - Chapters: 7 - Words: 39,311 - Reviews: 253 - Favs: 470 - Follows: 756 - Updated: Nov 15 - Published: Nov 5 - [Harry P., Daphne G.]

The worst part is how many reviews/favorites/follows it's got in 12 days.

4. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    " I just misuse them."

yeah he really does .

5. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

Just shows, that all you need to do for a lot of favorites and reviews is mark it Harry/Daphne. It's been like this for a while now. Add some "Dumbles" and Weasley bashing and you've got a bunch of "this is amazing, cant wait till harry gets his inheritance and show dumbles where he belongs" reviews and a lot of favorites/follows.

6. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It is more awful than you think, if ch1 didn't scared you enough to drop it.
    The first half of ch 2 will do it.
    what is with people and the need to have the goblins capable doing of everything.
    21 drops of blood and you get a list of: everything you good of (and if it is blocked), all the potions in your system, what ever curses you suffer from, your lineage, various illness and health problems.
    Topping it all, with the Goblins ready to solve all your problems just because you are their good friend, first wizard to treat them fair or second if your mother did first.

7. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    What do you want? For writers to actually have to think out some reasonable methods for the protagonist to achieve their goals? That's too much effort! And it would delay curbstomping of all those characters that writer hates. Not to mention - it actually requires some creativity.

8. buzzer

High Score:
    To be honest its not like I even hate curbstomp fics if I'm in the right mood/bored, it's just at least 80% of that story is word for word the same as thousands of other stories. Surely it would be more interesting for the author to image a new power for Harry to insta-win with.

9. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Creative people will usually think out something more interesting than Harry pwning everybody without any problems. Uncreative people won't be able to think about a new idea for pwning.

10. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2597443/1/Harry-Potter-and-Voldemorts-Horcruxes
    Suffice to say, I am not exactly enthusiastic about finding out if the fic is any good

11. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Games of Miss Granger Or is it Miss Peverell? » by Katana Salazar
    Hermione Jean Granger, Muggle-born, Harry Potters best friend, and a Veela? Hermione Maylin Peverell-Granger, Full Blooded Veela, Adoptive mother of Delphini Riddle-Lestrange, and cousin of you-know-who... Confusing right? Will Hermione be able to seduce her mate, Draco Malfoy before her year is up? If not, she leaves Delphi, her adoptive daughter and billions in gallons behind..
    M, English, Romance & Family, chapters: 4, words: 20k+, favs: 27, follows: 75, updated: Oct 26 published: Oct 17, [Hermione G., Draco M.] Harry P., Delphi Riddle

No explanation necessary I don’t think.

12. buzzer

High Score:
    The Chosen - Vote for a Title in Poll (See Profile) by Alpha-SonOfArtemis reviews
    I'm rubbish at summary's without giving stuff away sorry Rated M for Language (i will NOT write lemons unless i do a story with them when I'm older) AU OBV More pairings than HP/DG SEE FUTURE CHAPS. (WARNING: SOME PARTS ARE DIRECTLY FROM CANON MORE INFO ON CHAPTER ITSELF) !Slytherin!Harry! !Smart!Harry! !Powerful!Harry! !Dark/Grey!Harry! !Dumbles & Weasel bashing!
    Rated: M - English - Adventure/Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 2 - Words: 1,334 - Reviews: 5 - Favs: 18 - Follows: 23 - Updated: Nov 19 - Published: Nov 11 - [Harry P., Daphne G.]

I almost feel like this shouldn't count because it just isn't a summary, it's a list of tags with author notes, how does anyone decide to start reading it? Also "Vote for a Title in Poll" wow.

13. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

This is the age of TV Tropes, people don't read for an interesting story, they read to see certain ideas repeated ad nauseum.

14. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Can't help but be reminded of Hiroki Azuma's "Otaku: Japan's Database Animal"

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

To be fair to the author. He is a 13 year old kid. When I was 13 I started a story where Rose Tyler was an awesome immortal Bad Wolf who spent hundreds of years having super cool adventures around the galaxy with the Luggage from Discworld for some reason...When she found the 10 she was gonna be just so awesome but in a cool dark way...

Anyway you get my point, this sounds exactly what a 13 year old would write. So long as he keeps writing he might get enough practice in have the skill to write something worthwhile in a few years.

16. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I always feel really weird when reading stuff that's clearly written by some teenager. I get constant, "what the fuck are you doing with your life", nagging in my head.

17. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

He's practicing. What the hell else do you have to do with your life when you are 13? really the question should be what are we all doing with our lives...

Edit: wait... that's what you said.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  18. Barelyhere

Barelyhere Squib

Lucky how I actually had these saved XD

Ajax?? A centaur Snape? Nope. NOPE.

I could have sworn James was an only child. Also "will INVOLVED an arranged marriage." WILL INVOLVED.

And, my favorite:

I like how the author has to put the first line in all caps. Really howls out the importance of it.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    The author of the second story really should stop blaming Will for everything. Will is a good guy.

20. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Panther by Ccuriouser

[During the summer of HP's fifth year. ]What would happen when Professor Snape was cursed into a panther and Hermione accidentally formed a Familiar Bond with him? A story about trust, love, and support. HG/SS. HEA. Mostly cannon, but I twisted them wherever I like ;P. Rate M for later chapters. Hermione is of age. Disclaimer: Everything belongs to JK. Rowling, I am just playing.

---

Well, that's an interesting premise.