1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Wade? Who? You mean Ward?

Wasn't this like season 1 or 2?

If so, yes, watch the rest!

2. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Lmao, this proves how long it's been! But yea, I'll dip back into it! Thanks for the suggestion.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It gets pretty damn awful during the Ghost Rider and LMD/Framework arcs that come after the Hive arc, but the rest of it is pretty watchable. The new multiverse arc is surprisingly good so far.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

As was rumoured for few weeks, Disney finished buying Fox. There were probably other ways they could finally get all rights to Marvel characters back, but buying the whole studio was probably the most satisfying for them.

The Mouse always wins. ;)

5. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Apparently, Disney will keep the R rated movies coming; i.e. they won't turn Deadpool child-friendly.

I'm okay with this and in hindsight, we should've seen it coming. Disney is a soulless monolith only concerned with profit, and those movies are a fucking goldmine.

6. Andrela

I hope the X-Men are never introduced to the MCU.

It just wouldn't make sense. Many characters have backstories going back to WW2, like Magneto or Wolverine. If they were suddenly shoe-horned into the MCU it would just raise too many questions.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    They could introduce alternate universes (have I seen that they're doing something like that in AoS atm? Haven't watched it in ages). Have the Fantastic Four rip open a portal for whatever reason, and then have an in-universe merger. There are ways they could make it work, but I'm not sure they should, although they inevitably are.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

That could be one way to have a DCU movie make a decent profit, cross it with the MCU. ;)

All Disney needs to do is buy DC next.

9. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I don't WANT to see the Fantastic Four in the MCU. I don't particularly like them either. It might just be me, but I don't think they or the X-Men would lend themselves very well into the current fold.

I dunno. The Mouse might pull something awesome. But right now, I'm enjoying the current state of the MCU.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

They can be, but like Shinysavage said, they probably should be introduced as heroes from other Universe, only meeting with the main MCU-Verse (MCU-001?) in big crossover films. Like Secret Wars.

Who I would introduce to MCU-001 are Fantastic Four, but as a soft retcon. They operated in 70-ties and were generally well received by the populace. Had few big adventures, especially in a different dimensions, and then they didn't return from one of them.

What happened to them is a question that many tried to answer. Most suspect that Doctor Doom, the ruler of hermit kingdom of Latveria who hasn't showed up in person since around that time, not even to his most loyal subjects, was somehow responsible.

The truth is that Fantastic Four and Doom were trapped in the Negative Zone and only Thanos playing with the Infinity Stones allowed them to finally escape from it. For them 40 years that passed was less than 10, but it was enough for Reed and Sue to bring back two children with them, Franklin and Valeria.

While Doom's relationship with the group became somehow more civil, especially after he helped save Sue's life when she was having Valeria, becoming the girl's godfather in process, he's Doom nonetheless. He neither have patience for humanity's slow progress nor he has tolerance for how the world become while he was away quickly putting him in a conflict with these who disagree with his methods of fixing this mess.

11. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

No. FF4 and X-men each are a mess of their own with thematics that is totally at odds with Avengers. I don't want them in MCU at all.

And nobody has been able to convince me other way.

I think what will happen is MCU will end in next 5-10 years and there will be a new MCU2 after that with full roster. I probably won't watch that.

12. Heather_Sinclair

People have been saying this since the original Avengers movie, thinking that the MCU peaked right then at the time. But it still seems to be moving right along. While I don't expect every single movie to be blockbuster wonderfulness, I do expect them to adapt to the times and make it interesting enough to keep watching.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  13. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

It is not about peaking or anything. Mostly actors are running out of their contracts. At some point it will make more sense to just reboot the whole thing.

14. Heather_Sinclair

Noted.

The future of the MCU.

IGN Interview:

So, not so much rebooting as moving on in a different direction.

15. Andrela

@Heather_Sinclair

I for one have already prepared my soul and body for the next 20 Marvel movies.

16. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whether they make it happen in a good way is to be seen, but I appreciate that they have the vision for the attempt, at least.

17. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    But that's good. Comic Marvel universe is so cool because it has all. Avengers, FF (every of original members of FF was an Avenger at one point or another anyway), X-Men, Conan, Godzilla, various westerns, Death Mask (who went from Transformers universe to Marvel universe using Tardis), Robin Hood, Robinson Crusoe etc. and it's all in the same universe. It's glorious.

As much as I like to bitch about movies' negative influence on comics I have one hope. They already introduced with success heroes that are literal nobodies to casuals. Maybe movies will actually go forward with legacies instead of keeping status quo.

I hope that direction means the end of samey bland movies.

18. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Nope. I don't follow Comics.

I don't think comic marvel is cool at all. IT is just a big mess. I prefer MCU as it is. Intenally consistent.

19. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Did they ever fix the Spiderman timeline weirdness?

20. Andrela

This. Consistency is key.

Those of you suggesting the introduction of alternate timelines: why? Be careful what you wish for. Do you want to turn this franchise into a chaotic mess?