1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What you think of Harry/Ginny?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChosenOne, Dec 2, 2017.

1. ChosenOne

ChosenOne Squib

The main problem with this pairing is Ginny. It always bothered me was how useless Ginny is all throughout the series. I know JKR has said that Harry should have ended up with Hermione so perhaps that's why Ginny's character was so underdeveloped but I just find nothing interesting about her and think she was just sort of thrown in there so that Harry had someone to end up with.
    We never really learn much about her besides that she's getting hot, is dating every dude under the sun and does a mean bat-boogey hex. Harry just suddenly starts dating her after realizing she isn't completely boring (although I'm not sure how because she doesn't do anything interesting in the entire series). We don't find out much about their relationship. Basically she's a waste of the few pages she's actually on. I just don't understand her appeal.

Harry/Fleur would have been much more interesting and we already had the base for it in GOF and would have a made the books better.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could you fuck off mate.

Goddam, take up a hobby, something more productive than hitting up a HP forum every few weeks with a new account.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    May I humbly suggest rose-growing? It’s what kept Ross Brawn away from Formula One for a decent enough amount of time, after all…

4. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

Harry/Fleur make less sense than Harry/Ginny. Also, it wouldn't be better because Rowling doesn't know who to write a well developed relationship.

5. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I'm not going to pretend to be the biggest fan of Harry/Ginny (that lion in his chest nonsense), but the way some people describe her is ridiculous. Seriously, since when is being with a few guys, one at a time, and some of the relationships in question consisting of just one date at most, mean you're a slut. By that logic, you could argue Hermione is a slut since she had some form of relationship with a few guys herself.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, a lot of it was just backlash against Harry/Ginny being canon and thus sinking whatever ship the person in question wanted, or Ginny getting caught up in all the usual Weasley bashing.

Really, her biggest crime as a character is that she never got enough development to make up for Rowling's less than stellar romance writing skills.

7. Faun

Faun Fourth Year

High Score:
    HP series were not romance, so any sort of pairing has no actual substance in canon. Shipping is a product of fanon and a good enough writer can make even Harry/Winki work.
    In canon Ginny is a good friend, beautiful, plays quidditch and knows how to have fun. She has little tragedy going for her too. Why wouldn't Harry want to be with her?

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure that's a bannable offense. Or, if it isn't, it damn well should be. Harry/Fleur is doesn't have to make sense. It rises above the confines of logic into the sweet nothingness of perfected pairings.

Well, that or Veelas are just hot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Waiiit for it....another troll account will be launching in 3, 2, 1!

Come on man, really? Ginny is pretty underdeveloped but that doesn't mean you need to start hating....like how can you hate on exactly nothing. Sure the writing around the relationship is bad but she is pretty much just that one hot friend that Harry decides to date.

And besides, it's much better than some fanon ships like H/Hr...

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I don't mind Harry/Ginny when it's written well, but then I can say the same for most any pairing. I suspect that most of the site would at least be tolerant of the pairing under these circumstances, being interested foremost in good stories.

Ginny's a bit boring to modern eyes largely because she's been written a gazillion times over in the fandom and, short of making her a trans biker or Hitler youth, there's not a lot more to discover with the character. Much of the appeal of the exotic pairings is the modicum of novelty: Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, and, now, Harry/Daphne seem nearly spent.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Exactly this. Harry Potter's been around for long enough to make even a lot of the more obscure pairings for Harry have developed their own raft of worn out cliches and overused tropes.

12. eeleht

eeleht Squib

I feel like Harry/Ginny is a bit like a child's dream taken too far. Ginny grew up hearing stories of the Boy-Who-Lived and idolizing him, in her first year at Hogwarts he saves her life, when Harry first meets her she freaks out. Harry grew up without love or affection so he wouldn't really know what love is, he just sees a pretty girl who looks like his mother did (his idea of a relationship is based on his parents') and is from a lovely light family that his best mate is in too! So Ginny gets her hero and Harry gets his affection and that's their relationship in my eyes. I always feel like Harry gets nothing from Ginny and it's very one-sided as Ginny basically leeches off his fame. I have read some fics in which Ginny is lovely, but I have read so many involving love potions and compulsions that seem like valid theories because Harry's attraction to Ginny always felt a bit sudden.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Lily: Dark red hair, brilliant green eyes, reportedly very pretty (and apparently the bearer of the most recessive genes, between Harry's parents).
    Ginny: Flaming "vivid" red hair, bright brown eyes, looks vaguely reminiscent of Fred and George, and apparently very pretty.

Yup, it all checks out: Poor, deluded, Oedipal, bastard...

14. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hurrr, they both have red hair so they look like eachother!

15. eeleht

eeleht Squib

Lily in the films has curly light red hair and (I think) brown eyes?

16. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

She has blue eyes in the film, also she's about 20 years too old. They may have just been matching her eye colour to Daniel Radcliffe's or it may not have come into casting.

17. eeleht

eeleht Squib

I was talkig about young Lily from the scene with ickle Snivellus.

18. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I went through this weird circular life cycle of Harry/Ginny.

First while the books were still coming out, little kid me thinks that Harry/Ginny should happen because then we can get Ron/Hermione and then they will all be related to each other and its wonderful and perfect and happy! Then book seven comes out and I'm super excited that my fantasy came true.

A couple of years pass as I read fanfiction for my fix of romance. I read enough fanfics that my memory of how the characters actually act starts to get overwritten by fanon. The movies are still coming out and between Emma Watson's attractiveness, the fact that Ron's positive character traits get passed to Hermione, and Bonnie Wright's less-than-stellar performance as Ginny Weasley (not her fault that the directors under-utilized her character, or that Emma Watson ended up being more attractive than her, at least to me), I start shipping Harry/Hermione.

This goes on for years, with fanfiction and ABC Family's constant Harry Potter movie marathons being my only source of knowledge of Harry Potter trivia. Then relatively recently I reread the books and come to a realization: Hermione isn't as great as the fanfics/movies make her out to be and while Ginny lacks much-needed screen time and character development to reach the level of the romantic interest of the series protagonist, she isn't that bad either. Harry and Ginny get along pretty well with more shared interests (if not shared experiences) than he has with Hermione, and there's a fair amount of narrative tropes that make the pairing attractive.

Chamber of Secrets basically set up their romance as the same as Michael Carpenter and Charity from Dresden Files: They really 'met' when 'noble wizard'/'shining knight' Harry/Michael saved her from a deadly basilisk/dragon. Then Ginny grows out of what had been hero worship into romantic interest, she grows into a strong woman who comes from a very large wizarding family and loves Quidditch which is what Ginny can bring to the table versus Hermione's pure academic interests and Muggle dentist parents, and we still get that story book ending of a whole big happy family. (Ignoring the whole children names, Cursed Child, and Auror instead of Defense Professor career thing from the epilogue.)

So while it lacks the sort of drama that allows Harry/Fleur/Luna/Daphne/Narcissa/MarySue/OC to be interesting enough to spawn multiple fanfics--within the confines of the original story? I wouldn't have had the story end any other way.

19. eeleht

eeleht Squib

I really don't like the epilogue and Cursed Child, I think Harry would have been better as a defense professor and I think it's just stupid what he named his children, first of al it seems like Ginny got no input, secondly Harry is named after his dad already so why his heir as well and I despise the name "Albus Severus" because Harry is ignoring all the things they have done to him and shouldn't be.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I really don't like the epilogue and Cursed Child, I think Harry would have been better as a defense professor and I think it's just stupid what he named his children, first of al it seems like Ginny got no input, secondly Harry is named after his dad already so why his heir as well and I despise the name "Albus Severus" because Harry is ignoring all the things they have done to him and shouldn't be.

20. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    okay ginny as a hitler youth would be incredible @Perspicacity