1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer wont work

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Troy, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It looks as though you have a second generation (Ivy Bridge) i3 2120 (2 core) chip, 3.3 GHZ and Intel HD graphics 2000, with a pretty basic board (LGA 1155 socket) holding 1 PCI-E x16 (2.0), and 3 PCI-e x1.

It's a pretty inexpensive setup.

For instance, here's a ASRock MOBO for 55.99 with 1 PCI-E 3.0 (Good to have if you're wanting a good graphics card at some point), 3 PCI-E 2.0 slots (for whatever you may add on in the future), and 2 PCI. It'll support 32 GB of ram in four DIMMS. And that's just one option.

For the chip, you can get a i3 4150 which runs at 3.5 GHz and has the HD Graphics 4400. It too is a dual core, hyperthreaded chip; but you're jumping 3 generations of chip, so it'll feel pretty fast for you. It's priced at 80.99.

Throw a couple stick of DDR-3 memory in it for 29.99, and you're on your way.
    --------------
    Note, the build is a LGA socket 1150 build, while you have a LGA 1155, so buy a build like this and then try to put the chip into your old board. I went with the 1150 because that socket is pretty ubiquitous, and at least according to the UK Newegg website I was on, is pretty much a socket no longer in use.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Foxconn boards usually use the Award BIOS. I'm pretty sure your beep code refers to a memory failure (whether the stick is bad or seated improperly, I'm unsure).

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Do you have any friends with a stick of RAM you could borrow temporarily?

3. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Thanks every one. So it turns out that it was the RAM that was bad, pc world quoted £28 for the exact same RAM (Hynix 2Rx8 PC3 10600U 4GB) is the RAM I had any good. I was happy with what I had before, is there much difference?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  4. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Don't really know what specific RAM you had before, but since it's DDR3 this should fulfill your needs. Because of compatability I also did some more research on the motherboard and found someone who put some Corsair Vengance on it, so the Crucial should also work just fine.

5. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

I'm having trouble again with my computer. It was fine last night, and I had to reset the fuses so I shut it down and when I turned it on again about 5 minutes later I had trouble. The computer loads and then freezes after a couple of minutes. I try to start a program such as google chrome and it works before the computer freezes, and after when you try to open a program nothing happens. If I try to click the star menu it freezes again.
    I'm getting two different error messages.
    "Windows explorer not responding" and "Windows didn't load correctly". When I control alt delete I get the error "failure to display security and shut down options". I've run Norton full system scan and command prompt scan now, and found nothing. I don't have a problem in safe mode, I can load all the programs such as google chrome, battlenet and iTunes just fine. How do I find which program is the problem? I haven't installed or downloaded anything. I haven't tried restoring the computer yet.

6. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

You could try "sfc /scannow" in command prompt, restoring windows to an earlier revocery point or try out Windows Repair from tweeking.com. Is it possible that your pc updated around the time when your problems started? If so, one of those updates could be responsible, so you could try uninstalling all updates that have been installed in that time.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  8. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Thanks, the system restore worked, however afterwards google chrome no longer opens, it lights up on the task bar but then it goes away. If I reinstall is there a way to keep all the saved bookmarks and passwords or will I lose them?

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You can export the bookmarkdata I'm sure still and keep ti on a secondary drive. Your passwords I'm not so sure, but the data should be taken care of through chrome sync if you have it enabled to your specific email. So when you reinstall and sign in, you can just download the data again. Same process as you would with an android phone.