1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Agent, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TL;DR:

This server based in France​

Cpu: Intel Atom C2750 2.4Ghz 8 Cores.
    Memory 8GB DDR3.
    Storage: 1× 1 TB (HDD SATA) or 1× 128 GB (SSD SATA).
    Bandwidth: 2.5 Gbps unmetered but fair usage meaning I share the limit with other users in the Rack.

VS

This server based in London
    CPU: Intel XEON E3-1320 3.2 Ghz 4 Cores.
    Memory: 32GB DDR3.
    Storage: 2× 2 TB (HDD SATA) or 2× 240 GB (SSD SATA).
    Bandwidth: 1Gbps-unmetred-300 Mbps-guaranteed.

For Downloads from the South East of the UK and Uploads to everywhere in the UK.
    ________________________​

I work as a Content Manager for a Cinema in the UK. I'm based in the South East of the country. My job requires me to transfer trailers and adverts across the country from one server to another. A single trailer is usually 3GB big and an advert is usually 1GB or under. An actual movie/feature is usually over 150GB big but transferring these isn't required on my end (Though it would be ideal if I could).

All the content I need is located on one server literally 10 metres away from me. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to modify anything at all on that server or any of the servers I transfer to. I'm not even allowed to physically touch it. All I've been given is an IP, Username and Password for FTP use.

What the person before me used to do is use WinScp to FTP into the server next door (the one with the content), download it onto his local system and then upload it to the server that needed it. As he was using an office internet connection and a laptop, it usually to took over an hour to transfer one file.

I thought the ideal thing to do would be to buy my own dedicated server. I'd download the files to my server and upload them to the server that needs them. Unfortunately, the UK isn't the best when it comes to bandwidth speed so I thought I would get one in Paris where they have some extremely competitive prices and decent bandwidth. So I got one which is 13 Euros a month. Here are the Specs:

Cpu: Intel Atom C2750 2.4Ghz 8 Cores.
    Memory 8GB DDR3.
    Storage: 1× 1 TB (HDD SATA) or 1× 128 GB (SSD SATA).
    Bandwidth: 2.5 Gbps unmetered but fair usage meaning I share the limit with other users in the Rack.

Unfortunately, I am not actually receiving 2.5GB/s download speeds. It's more along the lines of 1.5MB/s and that's only when I'm lucky. The upload speeds are a bit harder to pin down as each server is different but I'm sure the distance between the UK and France is doing much to help.

The Speeds aren't anything to scoff at of course but I would like the ability to be able to transfer the actual Features files (~150GB) in a pinch. As it is, the download for a feature file takes about 24 hours with the upload taking nearly twice that for one server (And that was one of the better servers).

I was thinking of going for the following server instead, based in London:

CPU: Intel XEON E3-1320 3.2 Ghz 4 Cores.
    Memory: 32GB DDR3.
    Storage: 2× 2 TB (HDD SATA) or 2× 240 GB (SSD SATA).
    Bandwidth: 1Gbps-unmetred-300 Mbps-guaranteed.

1. What type of speeds will I be looking at?

2. How much of a difference will getting the 2 x 240 GB SSD SATA make instead of the HDD? I don't actually need the full 4TB and could probably survive on 580 GB but the extra space would be nice.

3. Without touching or modifying any of the other servers, is there any way to increase the upload speed by changing the settings on my own server?

I would like to iterate that I can't transfer directly from Company Server to Company Server. An Intermediary has to be used and it has to be done by FTP.

Alternatively, are there any other providers you guys could suggest for under £50 a month? It's actually coming out of my own pocket but considering how much times it shaves off my work and how much stress it reduces I consider it a worthy investment.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Your company has the weirdest fucking setup when it comes to how you handle that data. Are they going to pay you for this server you're wanting to buy?

3. Agent

High Score:
    Nope. But considering how much time it saves for me, I'll be able to finish my work earlier so I consider it worth it.

Downloading onto a local computer and then uploading to where it needs to go is the "Official" method.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Have they signed off on allowing you to do this? From what I know companies are pretty fucking protective about the fmovie data.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I still feel like everytime you say official I'm missing the winky face. And what Jon said.

6. Agent

High Score:
    The feature is useless without the correct decryption key and those are different for every server/projector. And as they're a couple megabytes of pure text and change every week it's unlikely that even if somebody gets their hands on the feature they'll be able to do anything about it.

My boss is extremely hands off (I haven't actually seen him in months) and told me that as long as the work gets done and there's no mistakes, and if it doesn't backlash on him, I can do whatever the hell I want. And seeing as I'm the one that manages the logs for my sites then no one else will be the wiser.

7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Take the London based server, 300 mbps guaranteed is 37.5 MB/s so if the guarantee remains true the server should be able to up-/download the 150GB movies within roughly an hour (assuming your companies servers have fast enough bandwidth). Also feel free to go with the 2x2TB option, since the SSDs great speed and short response time won't really help you if you just plan to basically use it as a fileserver (at least not if you only get 300 mbps).

But, you do know what the bandwidth of the servers of your company is right? Not that it turns out they were what slowed your current server to 1,5MB/s.

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd also consider the possibility you'll find a different job and leave your successor with a real problem.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

The server you're getting these films from, it's on the same network as the office? Using the same line?

10. Agent

High Score:
    I've been told it's not but there's no way to know for sure as there's no way to connect to it except by FTP. Doing a Speed Test requires downloading extra files which I'm restricted from doing. I can't even open up a terminal for it.

I can't even check it the old fashioned way by looking at the back of the server because it's physically attached to the wall.

But at the same time, I'm pretty sure it's not on the same line because that would be ridiculous and stupidity of the highest order.

I figure I'll fork out the money needed for the UK server next month and see how it goes. Luckily, it's not a yearly contract so I'll cancel it if it doesn't prove worth it.