1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

One thing I am hyped about with this gigantic monopoly of a merger is that we might see Marvel get some good villains. I'm looking at you Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer.

I would actually fucking love it if Tony Stark, Dr. Stranger, Black Panther, Bruce Banner - you know, all the smart guy Avengers teamed up with Dr. Doom and he somehow/someway went bad. An OP ass hero who turned evil and stayed that way with no redemption, devolving into an asshole over the course of several movies -

But knowing Disney the closest I'd get to that would be a shitty solo-movie with no build up to the evil, if they did anything like that at all. It's not particularly faithful to the character, but it'd be a cool set up in my herp-a-derp man-child brain.

C'mon, Disney! We know you can do good villains when you really really wanna try. Surprise us! Just because you rule the world doesn't mean you should be lazy about entertaining the masses! The Romans had the gladiators at least!

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Under good editorial comics are pretty consistent. Now, Marvel (and DC, but not to that extent) didn't have a good editorial recently. But with Alonso fired and replaced by Cebulski maybe Marvel will rise again. Still, what's consistency when it's between copy-paste uninspired works?

Why would you look at Silver Surfer when talking about villains?

3. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Because I'm a comic scrub and only know the Silver Surfer from the god-awful F4 sequel from forever ago. I just remember the details of him arriving on Earth and being a sorta-villain for a bit.

But I do recall him being profoundly awesome. That stuck in my adolescent and hormone filled mind.

4. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    He helped fight off Galactus later off (it was similar in comics, but there Surfer only led Galactus to Earth, because Galactus altered his mind to suppress his emotions).

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Put him everything, I love that kid.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It might actually be the case of Spidey being better as a supporting character. Not that Homecoming was bad, I liked it well enough, but it certainly didn't grab me like some other MCU offerings. Gotta say though, anything I didn't like about it was worth watching for the scene when Toomes confronts Peter in the car. That shit was brilliant.

But yeah, I second putting new Spiderboy in more things, in the vein of his appearance in Cap 3.

HOWEVER. Venom is filming right now. Hardy was at Comic-con last year for the film, presumably they had a script locked in before that Spidey deal was announced, which would mean rewrites and we know those can go sideways. Unless Spidey was always going to be in this movie and they're only publicly confirming it now. In any case, it's been a while since the last good Sony comic book movie, which public opinion says was Spiderman 2. Myself, I enjoyed TAS because the leads were damn good and had great chemistry, but great leads alone do not a blockbuster make. What I'm saying is, not getting on the hype train for this one.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Spider-man should probably be the Ironman of the next Generation.

Robert Downey Jr. is getting older and will probably retire soon. Chris Evans is out soon.

Tom Holland, a young spidey and actor, would be perfect for the connector role. See Spider-Man grow as a character into the leader of the MCU similar to Ironman/Cap.

Also, I'm strongly in favor of a Spider-Verse movie. Get Tobey Mcquire and Andrew Garfield to reprise their roles as spidermen from their universe. Emma Stone for Spider-Gwen. Etc.

Martin Sheen as Spider-Ben...

9. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am fearful of an MCU without Robert Downey Junior. He has carried the series for me.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

While I expect that RDJ is going to retire from the role, I doubt the age is an issue there. Unlike others, he doesn't play a superhero that needs to be physically imposing.

11. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with this. He is probably tired of the role.

12. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That looks like a whole lot of fun.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    "So I take it you didn't have that tech available for me."

"No, I did."

lol

Nothing beats the Infinity War hype tho.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I love the Ant-Man trailer, let's hope it'll be just as good if not better than the first one!

16. serbobiv

serbobiv Muggle

Best thing about the MCU has to be the lack of stupid telepathic virus shenanigans, hopefully it never merges with the mutant-verse and things stay that way.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    Holy shit, Black Panther is still days away and I'm already tired of it. Progressive Reddit is jerking off to it, you can't turn around in a movie sub without bumping into it, and the story is just a repeat of Ghostbusters '16 and TLJ: if you disliked Ghostbusters you hated waaahhmen, same if you disliked TLJ, and now if you're critical of Black Panther in any way, you hate black people. Coupled with typical Internet amnesia. In 2016 the Internet forgot that Blade was the first R-rated comic book film, today they forget that Panther isn't the first with a black main character.

18. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

It's probably that they weren't born when Blade came out (1998), and Blade 2 & 3 were based off movie Blade, not comic Blade.

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Shaquille O'neal - Steel 1997

Blade - 1998

Tobar Mayo (Abar- The First Black Superman) - 1977

Blankman - 1994

Meteor Man - 1993

Spawn 1997

I think Black Panther is Waaaay down the line for FIRST BLACK MAIN CHARACTER!!!!!!111
    Even if we're talking "serious rendition" attempt of a comic book character, Spawn has everyone beat.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    And so what if they weren't born yet? Alien was made before I was born, but I can google things. And folks riding the social justice train for Black Panther are my age or older, they're just idiots. One dude gave the movie a less than stellar review on Rotten Tomatoes, bringing it down to 99%, and there goes Twitter, calling him a racist.

Btw, I think it's frankly criminal that Blade has been forgotten, when it features the greatest line in the history of cinema.