1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Went through 30 pages of Worm stories looking for anything I haven't read yet. I'd rate the first three stories 5 stars. Avatar only 4 stars until there is a larger word count but it does have the best Bakuda character I've seen.

The Paragamer: The Gamer!Power, OC!Main, OC!Support. Word Count 93k .
    Sand and Fury: Boy!Taylor, Alt!Power, OC!Support, Word Count 99k .
    Playing with Lego's: Tinker!Power, Supreme Commander!Xover, Complete, Word Count 150k
    Avatar: Alt!Power, XCOM2, Word Count 30k

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Balthanon

Balthanon Squib

High Score:
    @Nemrut
    You might have missed the line where Shadow Stalker and Vista were talking and she mentioned her fear of bats while talking about reinventing herself (plus Kid Win gadgets). That seems pretty clear.

Honestly, that didn't throw me off too much, but I do think he went a bit too far in forcing the likenesses (definitely the accent), a bit more fusion so that aspects of the characters changed to fit the new holder of the title would have helped.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  3. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

I am looking for a fic where Taylor kills leviathan by finding what hurts him, like sting. I think her cape name was Princess in the fic.

Anyone ?

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Other Fandoms Story search is here. You got anything more to go off of than that. I've read quite a few worm fics, and that doesn't sound like anything at all.

5. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

Her power was diagnostic vision and regeneration, the first thing she figured out was that the whole fight leviathan wasn't hurt at all.

6. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Sounds like one of the magical girl Taylor alt power fics

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

From the description you gave, it sounds like Scarab, though her cape name is Water Lily rather than Princess.

Only story I know of where Taylor's cape name is Princess is Hope Through Overwhelming Firepower which is a gunbuster crossover where Taylor is turned into a robot built to fight things like the Entities on an even playing field while outnumbered fuckoff-to-one (read: ludicrously overpowered).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  8. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

Thanks it was the first one. I think I remembered the name wrong that's why couldn't find it.

9. Bernd

Bernd First Year

High Score:
    r/Wormfanfic's Best of 2017 results are in.

Listing the winner of each category:

Author: UnwelcomeStorm
    Romance/Slice of Life: Constellations
    AU: Deputy
    Completed: Path to Munchies
    Crack/Humor: Constellations
    Crossover: Constellations
    NSFW: Oops
    One-Shot: Wings in All the Right Places
    Post-GM: The Student
    Quest: All Things Devoured
    Alt-Power: Ringmaker
    OC/SI: Tabloid
    New (started in 2017): Ringmaker

I'm not surprised at how the most popular by views fics were the top of each category, as the poll was based on user votes. Wouldn't be that far off to say that the Best of 2017 is more accurate as "Most Popular of 2017". There's a good chance that the popular fics are popular because they're written well, but there's more than few on the list that I would have predicted higher or lower than what the results showed.

What kind of list would we have for next year? I predict that there will be a bigger Post-GM category, maybe even a new category for Ward/Parahumans 2 fanfics. Maybe even a category for non-Taylor, non-OC canon character protagonists. They don't have a category to themselves and have zero chance of the top spot when they're up against the big Taylor fics like Constellations. I'm looking in particular at Loaf, a fic that I personally was ambivalent toward because the bizarre humor isn't to my style, but is well written in a technical sense and I can see it, and have seen it, be appealing to others. It falls in a weird place when categorizing, being neither a familiar Brockton Bay fic, or a wholly new character/setting, to its detriment in the voting results.

I'm unsurprised at how the "Endbringer Altpower Taylor" fad died out with barely a blip in reader memory, apart from Ziz (#2 in Altpower), a fic of which I read the first few chapters and dropped because it did things I don't like. Like most community-sourced voting, the results skew toward those fics that update regularly and recently. No nominations for Manager, or Friends Like These, very popular fics with an established following, but they don't release updates frequently enough to make a mark in reader memory. I'm surprised at how Ack ranked #3 in the "Best Author" category given that none of his fics were nominated for any category this year. Has the fandom moved on from him now that there's a greater choice of story than ever before?

Very interested in seeing how 2018 pans out for Worm fanfic. Or even Ward fanfic.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    How the hell did Ringmaker fare so well in this?

11. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Because, at the time of the contest, it was/is hugely popular, and this is a popularity poll.

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Ringermaker's not bad, but its also stalled out. So I guess that's why you're surprised. I still like it, I just wish that things would speed up at this point.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I just finished reading Ring-maker a few days ago, and all I can say is meh. I liked it well enough, as if I didn't I wouldn't have read all the posted chapters. But, it falls into the same problems as every other worm crossover fic. I just can't help but feel that the story would have been more interesting if you just cut out not-actually-a-cape-power nonsense (same problem I have with a Cloudy Path), and just have her power fall entirely within the Wormverse. Like, just hearing random Sindarin words in the middle of an otherwise decently written story is just offputting, not to mention how ridiculously OP her power is.

I think the Worm fanfiction community really needs a kickstart, and has needed it for a few years now. There aren't any real pillars of fanfiction like there was in HP (though I guess it did take several years before they started showing up). There's no one like nonjon or joe or nmb writing stories.

14. Nemrut

High Score:
    What I meant was, that it was pretty much a paint by numbers alt power Taylor fic, only that the paint this time was a LOTR thing. Really, any alt power story could have won that, it doesn't really differentiate from other alt power stories outside that it uses a different power. I had tried reading that fic back when it started and jumped off when Taylor started lecturing Sophia on what it means to be a cape in that interrogation room or whatever.

Now, I don't know if it started doing things drastically different and better after that point but yeah, it didn't have a promising start.

15. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, I agree. And the whole Sophia thing was terrible to start (like seriously, within a handful of chapters they're practically best friends), and still hasn't really paid off in a way that felt like it was worth it to do what the author did. I think I would have just taken the presented-in-story alternative to just write her out of the story, or villainize her. Either way would have been more interesting that whatever it is is happening with her now.

16. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

While it's still pretty early on in the story, Unpunished is shaping up to be decent. It's basically the only way I could conceive of Taylor and Sophia becoming allies. Ever. The set up is a little contrived, I'll admit, but it's one of the few protagonist Sophia fics that doesn't flanderize her or put her on a pedestal.

Unpunished by Joko https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/unpunished-worm-au.560110/reader

AU: Shadow Stalker is captured and tortured by Empire 88, only to be saved by Taylor and her father. Sophia, broken by her experiences, has an identity crisis when she sees herself as a victim, and Taylor of all people is left to pick up the pieces after Sophia cuts ties with Emma and Madison.

17. Nemrut

High Score:
    [​IMG]

What a picture. I think I tried it once but I honestly can't remember, gonna give it a try.

18. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Just a warning, the first three or so chapters are... a bit lackluster compared to the rest.

19. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I just finished what was published of Sand and Fury and it might be my favorite Worm fic. It's easy to read, has an interesting power, and an enjoyable change to Canon so far.

It's a sugary guilty pleasure. Taylor is ridiculously OP. I liked it and would love to see another genderbent fic.

20. fire

fire Order Member

Not open for further replies.