1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Food Wars / Shokugeki no Souma [Manga/Anime]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Republic, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Megumi just doesn't have the same insane determination/arrogance that the people at the top should have - I'm not opposed to her growing into that, but not now.

Soma's competition should always be whoever is on top. Everyone else needs to get stomped [emoji14]

2. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I don't see Soma losing here, to be quite honest. It'll end up with him going toe to toe with Tsukasa, and be the climax of the arc, where Soma barely beats him out in typical shonen fashion. I mean, I suppose it could go to the point where only one other person on Rebel Team beats their opponent, as Soma faces down Tsukasa, and Tsukasa barely wins, letting whoever won against the easier opponent take him out in a lacklustre match. But that just seems like it'd create needless salt, even if that's a typical kind of thing I'd expect from another shonen.

Just not sure it works in this kind of set up.

As far as Megumi goes...I don't know. for as much as they've been focusing on Teamwork, there's been very little of it. just one or two small things and that's it. Thenagain, I guess going too far could end with a 'Too many Cooks' kind of deal, so I don't know.

I just feel like they were building up the teamwork angle, and not having a dish that isn't just the work of one Chef, but all three? Kind of feels like a cop out. But maybe they'll bring it out for Soma's match or the next round.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Erina wins, as expected. Isshiki vs Tsukasa's going on right now and while we all know Tsukasa's going to win, it's still cool to see those two go head to head. The opportunity for mmore Isshiki characterization is also quite welcome. I am curious about how close they're going to make the fight; having it be close would make Isshiki more interesting while still giving off that 'we threw our best at him and still didn't win', whereas an overwhelming Tsukasa victory might be used to give him that unbreakable wall feeling. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think plot would ever allow Tsukasa to lose at this point.

Curious as to how Aldini v Rindou will go. Aldini is someone who hasn't been given opportunity to shine yet and this could be the push he needs to actually become a realized, relevant character. But on the other hand, Rindou is an ecchi fan favorite, so the win will probably go to her.

4. Rah

Rah Death Eater

I hope it ends in a 3v1 of Erina, Aldini, and Souma against Tsukasa. But most likely it'll be a 2v2 of Rindou against Erina and Tsukasa against Souma and in the end Erina does some unheard of cooking to help Soumas dish go to the next level and they win.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    It's always the sexes facing off. Kinda hope it's Soma vs Rindou and Erina vs Tsukasa. Push back the Tsukasa v Soma battle imo.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Finally, it's almost over. One more bout and we can say goodbye to this abomination of an arc, and hopefully see no more srs business for a while.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You really think we can recover from this? Feels like we've jumped the shark at this point.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Rindou's entire gimmick makes no fucking sense.

It's not rare of even uncommon for characters to not stand up to scrutiny but holy shit Rindou makes no sense and her victories feel forced and undeserved.

Pah. At least Erina's gonna smoke her. For equally plot reasons as got Rindou so far rather than any talent involved but hey, it's at least poetically appropriate.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

This chapter makes it pretty apparent that we're getting a Souma/Erina vs Eishi/Rindou tag team bout to settle the entire contest. Each side presents one collaborative dish. It's the only way to guarantee no split outcome, and Senzaemon was clear that this will be the finale. I suppose it's the concession Azami made in exchange for being allowed to usurp the judges.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    Maybe I misread, but they laid out what was gonna happen, didn't they? A team needs to win 2-0 to win the entire thing (which won't happen, because why end this fucking arc now and move the plot along?), so it'll be 1-1 and go to a final bout.

I'm hoping the rebels win and fuck off the worst thing that happened to this manga imo (Azami), but i can see it going the other way too. Thematically, it makes sense for Soma v Rindou and Erina vs Tsukasa, Soma wins and Erina loses, then we get the Soma v Tsukasa bout that was foreshadowed seven years ago when the arc started.

Or it can be Erina as the one winning and fucking off her old man, so swap the bouts around to get that to happen - this feels less likely though.

I honestly can't bare Central winning and continuing to see that smug cunt anymore...

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm with LT on this one. Collaborative match 2 v 2. Soma creates while Erina elevates. Meanwhile Tsukasa is thrown off by needing to be partners and Rindou 'fear' upsets the dish.

12. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Alright they got some points there with Souma and Erina sleep deprived and devolving to rock paper scissors.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, made me laugh, haha. They're adorable.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm not gonna lie, SnS has really taking a massive hit in quality lately with this garbage arc. I hate tournament arcs, I especially hate long, drawn out ones. I get it's in the title, but the ridiculous spamming of Shokugekis in general has cheapened them. There's less focus on character development and learning and more on constant Shokugekis. It's almost ruined everything for me.

That being said, if Erina somehow masters and serves a perfected Peanut Butter Squid in under ten minutes to win this stupid thing, all will be forgiven.

15. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    At this point, there's almost nothing I can think of that would save this. Even if this arc by some miracle had a decent resolution, it will still have a massive shitfest up to now.

It's a shame.

16. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

You got your wish

17. Gengar

High Score:
    And I laughed, oh did I laugh.

18. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I mean, I'm sure the shippers are delighted and it's good that Azami is about to get rekd and all. But that whole thing with the peanut butter squid came off more than a bit hokey to me.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I mean at first glance year but after thinking about it ... it sorta makes sense. Erina is showing off. The whole point is that with her superpowers, any dish comes out at specialty-level. Her specialty, apparently is trolling people by making god-tier dishes out of shitty combinations. She's making a point to the rest of the peasantry of the cooking world.

20. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking finally. I hope Azami checks himself into a mental institution and never shows up again.

Let's see if the manga gets better from this horrible arc... or even worse. I felt like the only thing holding this up for a while has been the great art.