1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

If you were to write a Fem!Harry?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by adamsmitgh, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

There's also Thunderstorm by T3t for Harryxfem!TomRiddle.

2. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Very nice. Veeeery nice. Why didn't this sprout a golden age of fem!VoldemortxHarry fics again?

I knew of this one. Couldn't get past the chapter where fem!Tom says she's gonna teach Harry oclumency because he thinks too loudly. I figured it would be one of those stories.

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

[​IMG]

4. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I don't think anyone outside DLP ever saw it, and even here, only T3t and Lungs seem to have run with it further.

5. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I started the original thread which inspired the ship to actually mock the Fem!Harry/Voldemort people. It's funny that it is being mentioned in a thread which is requesting Fem!Harry.

6. TheLazyReader

What about fem!Snape?

7. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

Harry Potter is a jock who thinks reading is for nerds, and is only ever attracted to the most beautiful and popular girls in school. He also avoided Neville like the plague early on, but the author forced them to interact.

If you translate those traits to a female Harry, then she would be a typical diva like Lavender Brown who gossips about the hottest guys in school, avoids losers, etc.

She would probably be attracted to Cormac Mcglaggen.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ...seriously?

9. TheLazyReader

So, @Taure 's Alexandra Potter?

10. AmerigoCorleone

Never read it.

11. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why would her gender stop her from playing quidditch? There are numerous examples of female quidditch players in Hogwarts and they are shown to be some of the best players at the school.

Also, Harry didn't "avoid Neville like the plague" he just wasn't a main character in the first four books because JKR didn't want to kill the pace of the books by including every conversation that Harry has. They were obviously friends as shown by how they interacted.

Furthermore, Harry dated two girls in his entire life. He developed a crush on Cho when he was 13, they had a shared interest and she happened to like him back. With Ginny they were friends for years and he was close with her family, so much so that he spent most of the school holidays at there house.

12. AmerigoCorleone

You need to reread the books. Harry avoided Neville like the plague before fifth year, and even thought of him as a loser until the DOM.

Harry wasn't interested in Ginny until she became the hottest girl in school. Before that he barely knew she existed.

13. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tbf I do want to reread the books, but I'm pretty sure that on the train up to Hogwarts in fifth year Harry sat with Neville and while they weren't as close friends as Harry and Ron they still got on well. Also I thought that the reason Harry started becoming more attracted to Ginny was because they were in the quidditch team together and because Harry used quidditch training as an excuse to avoid Slughorns parties they spent a lot more time together than they had previously.

14. AmerigoCorleone

He didn't want to sit with Neville, even though he was a loser. Reread the chapter, at least.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I'm at least a little intrigued that while the original post was so vague with the details, none of the subsequent posts took "fem!Harry" to possibly mean a male Harry who somehow (involuntarily) became female. There are more than a few of those stories out there, after all.

Not good, but they're out there.

In that case my answer is: Exactly like he was before, but even more angry that his life seems to consist of being repeatedly shat upon from great heights. (Of course, if it's everyone's assumption that he'd remain the same, I guess I can see why no one would feel the need to broach the subject.)

Who would I ship fem!Harry with? Depends on the plot. How about, oh.... Ginny.
    Want to make people like an H/G pairing? Want Ginny to finally prove she's attracted to who Harry is, his personality, and not what he is (i.e. the Boy Who Lived)? Want her and the pairing to earn some respect? Have her stick with Harry after he's been turned female. Have her be devoted enough to stay by his side and try to make the situation work.

Besides, the little stalker probably has enough of male!Harry's hair for him to Polyjuice himself long enough to father a few children...
    Am I trolling? Am I?

As for a Harry that was born female... Well, if the majority of fem!Harry stories are any indication, the answer is: Better and more obnoxious than male Harry in every conceivable fashion, for no apparent reason. Shades of Galadriel's "All shall love me and despair!"

16. TheLazyReader

You know what, I would actually ship fem!Harry with Ron, but only if the author makes a good characterization and explores Ron's character.

17. kerney

kerney Squib

I could see some major points of divergence just on gender. I like the Alexandra Potter one is one, but you could go a lot of ways.

For example, teacher at say age nine or ten takes a shine to the cute little Harriet. Teacher gets the girl reading and dreaming of the idea of bigger/different world. Sprout or Mcgonegal take Harriett on her shopping trip and just by being who they are they intrige/role model non Petunia behavior to her. The reading has opened new mental horizons and by 11, she's Ravenclawized. Her friends are Terry, Lisa, and Padma. Is a good flyer but Ravenclaw is in good shape so she doesn't play til second year, when she becomes chaser. Cho becomes her friend/mentor, though Harriot is jealous over her first crush....Cedric Diggory. She solves her problems in Ravenclawish ways. Since I don't want this dark, she wins, and decides to become a teacher (DADA) like so many people she admired and marries the other potential chosen one, Neville Longbottom, who she got to know from book 5 forward.

18. Hesser

Hesser Squib

I like strong female characters who disregard certain boundaries. If women are still perceived as weaker, or are supposed to be meeker or more emotional etc., then I want a female Harry Potter to be the opposite. Going against the stereotype and all that stuff.

I'd like to see a strong, ambitious character, someone with willingness to learn, someone who might have some hot temper along the way...

On the opposite end of the scale I'd like to see a fem/Harry character (also male Harry) to perhaps have other ambitions and excel in other things than fighting Voldemort. Perhaps being a healer, learning some light healing magic that is based on ability to feel compassion. There are many decent stories with dark arts, fight scenes, generally pragmatic (to the point of being morally ambiguous) characters. The number of stories with more light oriented protagonist who is a genuinely good person but not a bloody Mary Sue, Saint and Ms Perfect is significantly lower.

Or maybe it is just my preference for pragmatic, down to earth, hands on, fairly dangerous and willing to use dark magic characters make me disregard the second type of stories. Anything is possible.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Generally I agree but... I work with kids/teenagers a lot as a teacher/tutor. I observe them five days a week and I started to notice one thing: boys are crap. They really are. Girls have better marks, they know what the want to do in the future, they are more organized and diligent. Boys might be more confrontational and outspoken, but apart from that, there is nothing.

I think that mothers are to blame. It's the mothers who primarily raise their sons, they do everything for them, make life easier for them, I suppose they even convince them that mummy is going to do everything better and lo and behold - we've got a generation of good for nothing mamas' boys.

Sometimes I ask students about their plans for the future and about things they do to achieve them. Girls, even 11-12 yo girls actually have some believable, reachable plans and they more or less know what they should do to achieve them. Most boys want to become professional gamers or the next Ronaldo. Usually their only qualification to do the first is that they have some games that they like to play, and they are too fat, weak, undisciplined and lazy to do the latter.

Methinks future belongs to the girls, unless we do something to straighten the boys out.

19. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh hey, so I did actually dip my creative quill into this font for Emerald Mirror. Turns out I'm writing her as a mildly sociopathic Healer who's developed an unhealthy fixation upon her Dumbledorian doppelganger. I should have knocked out their smut scenes while this day was still young, but alas, that must wait for another April 1st.

Her prophecy posed no problem, despite having Ariana Dumbledore instead of Albus for her mentor. Probably less 'sacrifice for the greater good' and more -yet to be determined-. Hm... her world will be a fun one to develop further.

20. bhaijarduk

bhaijarduk Squib

I think prophecy with the original wording can easily work here. If other people are left unchanged from cannon, Voldemort is going to end up attacking Potters and losing his body the same way. If her personality is similar to male!harry, she can act as "power voldemort knows not" for Neville, doing all the male!harry cannon stuff up to her "sacrifice" making Neville and everyone else unkillable by Voldemort and just needing some alternative ending with Neville killing Voldemort. (Neville's marking would be when Voldemort attacked him at the battle of Hogwarts)