1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Son of the Western Sea by Mac Calleach - T - Percy Jackson

Discussion in 'Books' started by Probellum, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Meh. Tbh the creep factor of Tsukiyomi ruined any enjoyment I could have gotten out of this. It seems less of a hero Percy roaming the world and exploring various myths and more of a pantheon family drama hurr durr fic. It annoys me, because Mac is a decent author.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The story is great, though the fact that Persy is actively bi massively detracts from my enjoyment.

However, the author must have known that his choice would have this reception from many. Since apparently he's cool with it, then ... *shrug*.

Edit: Whatever.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    She*

/filler

4. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

I hadn't noticed this one until now, but it's great to find some good Percy Jackson fanfiction, since they're rarer than gold dust. I actually think she could've put much less effort in and still stood out from the crowd, even though it's facinating reading about all the old religions and myths; she really did the research.

I don't mind that Percy's bi, since old religions (particularly the Greeks) always we're a bit free with their sexuality anyway. It makes sense.

5. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

Well, so far it's both. We still have the Chinese bureaucracy and Indian pantheon to explore. There seems to have been 2~ years of adventuring before Percy settled down in his relationship. I'm sure we'll see more of that and I think the drama of the present day (potential ww3) can be a cool storyline.

6. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Stunningly, amazingly, surprisingly this updated. Like, holy fuck. So goddamn happy. And it''s just as great as it had been, Really hoping for more now that Mac is back.

7. gamarad

gamarad Fourth Year

Holy shit! Came here as soon as I saw.

8. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I just read this fic for the first time and It's pretty damn amazing. That being said, I'm pretty sure I know what Percy is going to end up, and I can't freaking wait.

It looks like Percy was born as a mortal god, not as a demi-god. It looks like he will become the God of Wandering/Travel. More-so, as he's ships name is the freaking Firefly, I fully expect him to go into space. I bet he will end up as the god people pray to when traveling the stars

9. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

He was born a demigod, he's just become the god of sailing and/or traveling during his journey.

That's what the final line of the new update meant. Go search for hercules' talking about Dionysus in chapter three for the parallel.

I don't disagree with your last bit there though.

10. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Yeah no, Herc explicitly says that
    that Dionysus wasn't a demigod granted immortality, he's a god who happened to be born mortal. Which, I'll be honest- I'm not sure what the significance of that distinction is other than the fact that I suspect Percy won't be a minor diety.

I'm excited this finally updated though. Hoepfully we don't have to wait another four years for chapter five.

11. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Read the whole thing again and the quality is still as good as ever.
    Think this whole becoming a god of travelling space/wanderlust was hinted at when he went to the space museum on the Isle of Mann.

12. gamarad

gamarad Fourth Year

13. Doleful

Doleful Muggle

Looks like you're correct. Rereading the story again revealed a lot of hints in the earlier chapters which are much more obvious in hindsight. I'm just wondering whether the author will actually focus on Percy's story after his ascension to godhood or if the story will just focus on the journey to get there and end at his ascension.

14. Galen

Galen DA Member

I’m actually very curious to see how she (the author) is going to handle the whole
    god of space exploration schtick, which coming from such a talented author is really going to be interesting

15. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just read this for the first time and it's solid. Had no idea there would be slash ahead of time, but it's really low key and there's nothing even approaching explicit. Don't let it dissuade you from reading it.

Characters are well done, the other pantheons are interesting and complex, and the whole thing is an enjoyable ride from start to finish. Like Percy, I hope the journey never ends.

4/5

16. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'm kinda sad that other than one mention early on, that I can recall, nothing was ever done with Calypso. Maybe she'll come up later on, but who knows.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  17. Galen

Galen DA Member

Poor calypso, fated to suffer in both canon and fanfiction

18. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Honestly the slash was also there for a reason which I thought was why it didn't seem to interfere. Romance should either be the conflict or set up conflict and I think Mac Calleach did that well. His liasons set up one of the more important conflicts in the story. It wasn't peripheral or gratuitous at all.

19. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

I think it's good. Not awe-inspiring, it doesn't invoke any notable emotions in me. 4/5, 5/5 if not for the slash, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

As a whole I think it stands out fairly well for avoiding PJO fanfiction cliches:

-Cheating partners (I genuinely hate people who write this)
    -Chaos (by fuck do I hate this PJO trope)
    -being betrayed for some reason (I hate this the most, tops)

Most of all it keeps to the spirit of the characters, no one is particularly OOC. Not enough to save the fandom from ruin, there's just too much trash in the PJO category, but still good.

I'm also glad there doesn't seem to be any particular pairing. If so it isn't a dramatized thing and it isn't cringingly written. I liked the world-building and the thought that went into the battles.

Besides the slash the only problem I have with it is the slow update speed, but that's pure entitlement so I'll write that one off. Overall a stand-up story. Not super incredible, but good.

20. Galen

Galen DA Member

I think what I like most about this is that the author is capable of going into a category of writing that has so much potential, but has never been done with any sort of skill before. I love the way she treats the characters that are gods like actual gods, and not weak, 2 dimensional teenagers is, sadly enough, pretty rare and also is a bonus.