1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Not many people like the idea of Wizards having a 'source' for their Magic. Magic having a source means it's a quantifiable force (ooo), people say it ruins the mystique of Magic if you can 'exhaust' your Magic, I say the mystique of Magic is already ruined when the chosen one decided by Magic itself (through prophecy) only utilizes about thirteen spells in the last 3 books.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Then why call it a war in the first place? Especially something grand like the "Second Wizarding War". When one of your main commanders is Neville Longbottom, you know you've got a problem.

2. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Shhhh, dude. We're not supposed to remember Harry is a subpar wizard.

3. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    Having a source doesn't mean magic is measurable. Where does the magic come from? The environment? A soul? It provokes these kinds of questions, and they don't contradict "magical cores are not real" theory.

At least, that's my understanding.

4. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I thought it would be given that magic were quantifiable in some way. Otherwise, how do you explain wizards like Dumbledore and Voldemort? But I don't think it is measurable in the sense that water is measurable, that you can exhaust it like Naruto can exhaust chakra, for example. To me, it always appeared as if there are certain environmental and individual factors playing part. Dumbledore being such a naturally gifted wizard seem no stranger to me than Stephen Hawking (R.I.P. :'-( ) being a more brilliant mind than me.

Also, your argument is invalid: The prophecy is only significant because one or more of the people about whom it was made decided to make it so. If everyone simply ignored its existence, nothing in it would have come to pass, and it'd be worthless.

Also - Neville and Harry were a little more than kids in the seventh book post-19 years later. Do you really think Harry and Neville never grew more competent, skillful and versatile over the years? Never learned anything new?

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Knowledge, experience, and being skillful with a wand.

That's just an assumption on your part.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's zero connection between the idea of an obscurus and magical cores. The existence of obscurials does not imply quantifiable, expendable magic at all and I have no idea where you're getting that idea.

7. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    We always knew that wizards were magical, that's like the whole premise behind them. I don't see how magic being inside wizards is supposed to prove the existence of magical cores.

8. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Actually no, I am repeating what Dumbledore said at the end of the fifth book.

9. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Where are you getting the idea that I said Magical Cores existed? I asked "what do you call a quantifiable source of Magic that is inside a Wizard's body?"

Don't get so defensive, it's just fiction, it's not like Harry having a Magical Core that was never written in changes anything about Wizards themselves. Also, a physical source for magic does imply it's quantifiable, unless you're saying Wizards overheat instead, which there is no proof for.

Doesn't really explain how Tom Riddle at 50 is as strong as Dumbledore at 100, if Intelligence and Wisdom were the main sources of Magic, Albus should have been able to end Voldemort during the first WW. As with real life, some people are just naturally more powerful/gifted than others, as if Knowledge, experience and skill were the only determining factors, then in theory a determined enough Muggleborn should have been able to stop Voldemort.

10. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dumbledore has always been stronger than Voldemort.

The only reason Voldemort was even able to match Dumbledore, was because Dumbledore was 'too noble' to use the powers Voldemort uses, aka dark magic (which is a quote by McGonagall in the first book).

Another, and probably better proof, was the duel at the Ministry. Dumbledore was able to match Voldemort without flinging around killing curses. Voldemort had to try to possess Harry to even give himself a fighting chance. In the end, Voldemort had to flee.

This is a huge reason why Voldemort decided to have someone else murder Dumbledore. He realized he wouldn't be strong enough.

Lastly, and perhaps the most important of all in my mind, the Elder Wand. Lots of people say that he only was "better" during the ministry battle because he had the Elder Wand. Lets not forget that Dumbledore is the only person in the books we know of who won a duel AGAINST someone who had the Elder Wand- Grindelwald. Not only that, he defeated Grindelwald, who had the elder wand, WITHOUT KILLING HIM.

All-in-all, Dumbledore was able to match Voldemort while not even using his full potential. Dark Lord Dumbledore would have been a much more terrifying villain.

11. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

1) Dumbledore also blushed that the remarks of female colleagues in that same page, it seems that he was also written as straight in that chapter. So, because Rowling already retconned one part of that chapter specifically, the rest of the information we get is dubious at best, especially when we consider the fact that Dumbledore does get matched by Voldemort.

2) Not flinging around Killing Curses doesn't mean Dumbledore wasn't fighting serious, we have no evidence that Dumbledore can even use the Unforgivable Curses.

3) That's just headcanon, Voldemort got Draco to assassinate Dumbledore because he knew he wouldn't be able to win an all out battle against the entirety of Hogwarts and its staff (though he does manage to hold down McGonagall, Flitwick and Shackelbolt I believe, with relative ease). Most of what Voldemort does is needlessly complex for no real reason (exhibit A: Triwizard Tournament scheme).

4) Untrue, the whole point of the Elder Wand being passed down is the fact that it has been beaten in duels before.

12. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

1. Lol you really lack any kind of reading comprehension do you? Blushing at a compliment concerning something ridiculous as earmuffs was just a way to show how quirky and weird he is not that he was attracted to her in any way. Even if that would be true just because one part is inaccurate doesn't mean we can disregard everything else from the chapter.

2. Voldemort was even asking why Dumbledore wasn't duelling to kill and Rowling said in an interview that he didn't want to kill Voldemort because of the Horcruxes.

Yeah total noobs like Harry and Draco can use Unforgivables on their first try but Dumbledore can't ...

3.The chapter in OOTP where Dumbledore and Voldemort fight is called the only one he ever feared even Narcissa in HBP thinks that Dumbledore is superior and Voldemort only send Draco because he wanted to punish him.

13. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I feel that we kind of sidetracked here, guys... Anyone else agreeing the DADA classroom is a good fit for Dumbledore as a teacher?

14. TheLazyReader

No, he was the transfiguration professor.

15. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I am aware. But if Professor Merrythought had that big office on the sixth floor, she could have had another classroom as well. The question was more that if what in the HP movies were used for DADA was used for Transfiguration, would you say the look and feel of the classroom sort of fits Dumbledore?

16. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

1. Really just a deflection on your part.

2. Duelling to Kill≠Fighting Seriously. With this logic, every boxer, mma fighter, karate champion etc... should be fighting to kill or else they're not actually serious.

That's a strawman and you know it, I have a hard time believing that someone like Dumbledore can summon enough rage or hate towards a single person to be capable of casting any of these curses. Maybe a young Dumbledore, but this guy? No.

3. While I don't know if she explicitly stated Dumbledore outmatched Voldemort in terms of raw power, I don't think that she is an authority on Magical power to know such things in the first place. She isn't an impartial narrator, so naturally she will see it through her point of view rather than the objective one.

17. TheLazyReader

It does fit Jude Law's Dumbledore, but my nightgown-wearing Dumbledores always looked better in the transfiguration classroom from the first movie.

18. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Did anyone notice that Dumbledore is shown to have two completely different wands on two different promotional appearances? His wand was lying on the desk in the DADA classroom in the trailer, but I couldn't for the life of me determine which one of them it was.

(I hope it is the one on the second image. Having Dumbledore having owned a near-copy of the Elder Wand before ever seeing it with his own eyes seems kind of unimaginative. Better he had a wand distinctive to Albus Dumbledore pre- 1945.

19. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Looks like the same wand to me, just his hand is farther up the wand in the first picture and his coat jacket sleeve is covering the entire bottom of wand, what is it called? The pommel?

20. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Okay, zoom in on the second picture. They're clearly not the same stick.