1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ron an asshole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 9, 2017.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You shut your whore mouth.

While you're at it, take a look at where you are. The correct response wasn't to call out a long established member of the community for 'bullying', it was to throw shade and take the piss in a somewhat humorous manner.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It took you this long to notice?

Like vlad said in the post that started the current mess, this thread is mainly kept around as a lightning rod to attract obsessive trolls and the sort of new posters who will probably have a very short lifespan on DLP. The actual title question was pretty thoroughly answered within the first few posts.

3. Mickey

Mickey Squib

Does anyone else find Ron's life story depressing?

In the first book when we meet Ron he clearly has a problem 'standing out from the crowd'. What he sees in the mirror of erised is basically him excelling and not being overshadowed by his brothers. We then proceed to watch him over 7 books get totally overshadowed by his two best friends, the most important people to him.

Hermione is clearly smarter, and essential to their success in most of their adventures. Harry is a better fighter, a better quidditch player, a better wizard spell-wise overall, and 'the boy who lived'. Even in his romantic escapades he kind of falls flat compared to the other two until the end of the story. Besides Ron being the only one who didn't grow up in the muggle world he kind of just plays second banana and in turn gets totally overshadowed by his friends. Its like his worst insecurities came true.

I don't know, it just seems like a really sad story right in the heart of the series and there never really seems to be a happy ending. How do you guys feel?

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

That's a pretty narrow opinion friend. He was 1/3 of the trio. They all brought something to the table. His was loyalty.

5. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I found it sad he ended as his brother's help in the shop after being burned out of the Aurors. He never really built anything for himself. Other than that he was the best character in the books.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Ron just falls under the usual pitfalls of a throw-away character that only has certain purposes at certain times. It's why he essentially becomes dumb comic relief during CC. Plus, I feel bad for the guy, more likely than not Hermione is cheating on him with Harry/Viktor Krum.

7. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

And Scorpius, Albus, Shacklebolt

Hermione is *that* girl on the block

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wasn't expecting this thread to go anywhere but two idiots sharing their cuckolding fantasies is a direction even I couldn't predict.

9. bhaijarduk

bhaijarduk Squib

But both Harry and Hermione showed at least as much if not more loyalty to each other than him. I think Ron has the same problem as Harry in that he acts like an average teenager when his life is nothing like the life of a normal teenager. This becomes more and more jarring as they grow up and their lives become crazier and crazier, while they paradoxically start to act more and more normal and ignore the world around them.

10. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always felt that Hermione showed more loyalty than anyone else in the trio. Even the things that made her obnoxious were done out of concern for their safety rather than anything more malicious.

She actively avoided taking sides in their argument in Goblet of Fire, and her concerns about the broom and Half Blood Prince's book were justified, if excessive. She was willing to trust in Harry and Dumbledore over her own misgivings, and was willing to put her friends above her own values later. We all joke about "Or worse, expelled," but she abandons her adherence to the rules for the sake of her friends almost without a second thought.

EDIT: It's all too easy to forget that Ron was willing to die for Harry in both his first and third year, though. He let himself be struck down on the chess board, and he stood between Harry and Sirius fully expecting Sirius to kill him. That means something.

11. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Do you people even read any of the previous 16 pages of this thread where this exact message is posted every single page.

12. Zombie

Nah man, its a newb trap. Like a tourist trap. The dumpster fire continues.

I'm totally interested in Proud Harmonians understandings of canon, please continue.

13. TheLazyReader

Why are people so willing to forget Draco was being an ass to everyone in the first (and second) time Harry met him?

14. Zombie

Because Draco is Harry's one true love. Have you never read fan-fiction?

15. TheLazyReader

We might be reading different fanfics I guess.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Do all newbs have to fulfill a rite of passage and post some stupid, repetitive, and objectively wrong shit on this thread? Because it would explain a lot.

17. TheLazyReader

:thinking:

18. Zombie

nah threads like these are click bait for people looking to get their feet wet and come in with a raging hate boner each time. Because obviously that how you fit in on DLP :sarcasm:

19. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Ron's no asshole, he's just a very ordinary bloke in an extraordinary world. Kinda reminds me of myself tbh, probably the reason I feel so indifferent towards him.

20. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got to agree with you there.

People hate Ron because he reminds them of themselves. Aside from being Wizard,. Ron is perhaps the most "normal" character in the entire series. He's the most relateable character which is usually a good thing but because he's not the protagonist, most people seem to be projecting their hate of their own mediocirity onto him.

Everyone thinks they're a Harry but they're actually a Ron but they should really aspire to be a Hermione.