1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

The thing about I hate about Whales and Unicorns is SI apperantly keeps ranting about his SI status when drunk but keeps getting drunk anyway. And nobody thinks him Mad for it.

I don't even.

Edit: Holy crap this story is shit. I tried to power on but it just keeps piling on stuff. Several times I had the urge to throttle the Author because people don't act like that.

There is an older and arguably better alternative where SI is actually thinks himself a Skag and not a SI at all. IT is pretty entertaining.

The thing about it is he starts from a backwater that is not even really mediaval. He has to bring whole island in to the mediaval age kicking and screaming.

Here;
    A Skogasson Tale

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

[QUOTE="Tasoli, post: 1041239]words[/QUOTE]

The beginning of Whales is a bit meh, most of the fic is tbh. It's the last two chapters that make it interesting

3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anything new in this fandom?
    Or new good stories are likely to appear as Martin release Winds of Winter in our life span ?

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Eh, there is always some new stuff popping up. Just look in the work by author. @serpentguy had a cool piece recently. ASOIAF just isn’t a very big fandom. Not compared to HP.

5. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    There's one I've been following for a while that doesn't look like it's been mentioned, Bastard of Highgarden on AH.

Lyonel Storm is a Baratheon/Tyrell bastard that gains their knowledge before the book events and works to fix what they can using their knowledge of canon, which sounds cliche but they actually go about it in a smart manner using the system. He's not all knowing and his actions have consequences personally and politically so it's quite a broad stage and not just focused on him. The most recent chapters have derailed Westeros canon quite a bit so they're not afraid to go off script.

6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I just started it, and I'm already hooked. Though Im not really how the logistics of who his dad is works.

7. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This is very enjoyable. It avoids a lot of the typical problems that come up in AH fics. No gunpowder, or printing press is present in this story.

Thanks for posting it, helps scratch that itch.

8. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

This is pretty fucking great. Lyonel is probably slightly OP but I don’t care anymore. There’s people thinking in this fic. There’s minor and major setbacks. There’s solid relatable characters all arounx. The direction of the plot is muddy as all hell. I’m in love.

Edit: @Silveron You should probably put this up for review.

9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's really excellent. I'm 188 pages in, and we've only had a single mention of seed-drills!

10. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

11. PrinceAscot

PrinceAscot Squib

High Score:
    is that story going to be continued?

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think I read the bastard of Highgarden a month or two back and I remember having some fun with it but at the same time, I barely remember anything about it now, nor do I have any inclination at checking out the updates. It doesn't really have any great or memorable scenes or lines or anything.

13. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I think there are some decent scenes. I enjoyed it overall as an experience. I enjoyed a couple of the battles that happened, and a scene with the Spider took me by surprise.

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

He asks about his father's identity. She then told him it was Stannis Baratheon. We then had a scene from the past from Stannis POV describing how they met. Nothing confusing about that.

15. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    bastard of Highgarden a link please?
    on which platform it is ?

16. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Literally on the same page lol. Simple CTRL+F would've netted you the link:

17. CrackedMind

I tried to keep from spoiling that and had something much longer typed up, but for whatever reason spoiler tags weren't working.

I meant more the fact that I dont understand why Stannis wouldn't have been forced to marry Janna. Stannis being stubborn might be a defining trait, but so is him gritting his teeth and doing his duty when asked.

He wasnt married to Selyse at the time, and its not like she was the sister of some backwoods lord- Janna is related to a Lord Paramount, and even with the fact that they were still recovering politically and militarily from Robert's Rebellion, I still think they had enough power to force the issue.

I like the fact that his father is Stannis over Robert, and I can ignore it because the story is pretty good- I just find the logistics dumb.

18. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

They definitely didn’t have the power to force the issue - they aren’t gonna go to war over this, she’s a cousin not the main line. It’s an insult, but Bobby at the end of the day isn’t gonna give enough of a shit to push a Stannis that has dug his heels in.

19. Haze

Haze Second Year

Didn't Robert consider them all Dragon-lovers? Would explain why they couldn't force the issue.

20. CrackedMind

Except she is the main line. She's Mace's sister. And I'd say that Robert probably would've pushed Stannis towards it, but the idea that Stannis had a bastard was probably a lot more amusing to him.