1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity War Spoilers Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Fantastic movie. Felt a little cluttered with so many characters but certain characters obviously had more screentime than others and it worked well.

The impression I got is that movie is pretty much from Thanos POV.

Opening scene was amazing but they kinda benched Banner afterwards. Loki being killed was probably the right thing to do, like Thor said in Ragnarok his character has been used and abused.

You have the Tony, Dr. Strange and Peter going to space which is fucking awesome.

Then you have the Captain, Black Panther, Natasha, Vision and all the others in another group fighting the invasion. Seems they're saving the reunion for the next one.

Ending scene is the Thanos click from the comics in which pretty much everyone dies, and then cliffhanger. The emotion from both Tony and Steve in those scenes was incredible. I do like how Tony who's always feared being the last one to survive pretty much is, showing his worry in AOU was legitimate.

I'm thinking its either time travel and they go back to the first Avengers and take out Thanos there... as it seems a lot of hype around the original Avengers...

No Barton. Seems it was either misdirect or he's going to be important in the "sequel".

One thing I didn't like, Shuri looks at Vision and is like "Why didn't you...." It just felt like fan hype from Black Panther leaking over where she's apparently the smartest girl on the planet. Yeah, no.

Kinda felt like when Voldemort got the elder wand in DH1 tbh.

9/10

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I thought it was pretty decent.

Any thoughts/theories on how Thanos knew who Tony Stark was? He mentions something about being burdened with knowledge at the time, a few minutes before he stabs Stark with a broken piece of the Iron Man armour.

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Joe --
    Think its the Soul Stone.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it was just intel from Loki. He probably knew about all the other Avengers as well.

Can this thread be the Spoiler one while the MCU thread be the non-spoiler one? It would probably improve discussion if we didn't have to tag everything we want to say with a Spoiler warning.

And boy is there a lot to talk about. I saw nearly 2 days ago and I'm still pumped.

A couple things annoyed me. One was
    how weak Thanos seemed. I loved the Iron Man and Thanos showdown but Tony shouldn't have been able to hold up as well as he did, especially with four Infinity Stones. Plus, Thor nearly being able to land what would have nearly been a fatal flaw while he had six stones.
    Another was that Thanos's whole reasoning for wanting to kill half the universe is that
    there are not enough resources on a single planet for everyone. Except, shouldn't this be remedied by using the Gauntlet to provide more food and space for living?
    This is very much a Thanos movie though. In fact, I think he has the most screentime out of everyone. Heck, I'd love to see a full movie entirely from Thanos's perspective.

One thing that disappointed me a bit but I could kind of see why it wasn't included is that there was no
    groupshot
    but I suppose they'll save that for Part 2.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seeing this is 4 hours. Super excited!

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah, the whole "half the population of the galaxy" sounds dramatic and cool but really doesn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny. The most obvious thing is that unless he applies his "cure" regularly simple population growth means that in a few decades were are back at the starting point (and of course he seems to treat all planets the same, no matter the actual population number).

Also should I feel bad that the first idea that came to my mind after ending scene was that they clearly wanted to have a smaller budget for the second movie?

You know with "killing" half the cast^^.

7. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Awesome movie.

Pretty clear we're still following Strange's Path to Victory. It's nice the original Avengers stuck around.

8. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Strange explicitly says something to the effect of "This was the only way" after handing the Time Stone to Thanos, and he said earlier that of all the possible futures he saw they only succeeded in one, so yeah it seems like things are going to plan.

Killing half the cast would have more weight if most of those characters didn't already have solo movies announced.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    Saw it.

Well crap.

8/10.

2019 needs to hurry up

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm not sure my wife and daughters are going to recover anytime soon, that was SO much more brutal a way for them to make that ending happen than I thought it would be. When Peter went, you could practically feel the life drain from the room.

Re: how Thanos knew who Stark was, Tony said earlier in the movie that he had been hearing voices for six years or something -- it seems they were alluding to some sort of connection there.

Real curious to see how they pull off the second half. My oldest tells me that we see Adam Warlock in the GOTG2 post-credits scene, I kind of thought he'd at least poke his head in here. Oh well, maybe in Captain Marvel or something.

This is going to be a long, long wait for part 2. 9.2/10 for me.

11. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Just got back from seeing it. I enjoyed it. Not the most intelligent movie, but it was thoroughly entertaining.

Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man still left alive. The three actors with probably the biggest contracts. Maybe this is Marvel's way of rebooting the universe by sending everyone who "died" to a new universe lol

12. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Well, it was everything a Marvel movie 'should' be, it was fun and fan-service-y and cool with spectacle up the wazoo. Why, then, did I leave the cinema feeling a vague sense of disappointment?

I think this movie might have found the limit of Marveliness. It had too much of everything that seems to have come to define Marvel movies, and yet it still felt like it didn't have enough of... anything. Except maybe spectacle, it had a lot of that.

What it didn't have for me, though, was much emotional weight. When, right at the beginning, Thanos killed both Loki and Heimdall (along with, apparently, every Asgardian minus Thor rather rendering Ragnarok a rather pointless endeavour in my eyes) I quickly realised that I didn't have time to mourn them. Their deaths seemed to have no weight, and the movie simply barrelled onwards with the usual Marvel mix of jokes and action. The 'deaths' of the many, many characters at the end of the movie felt similarly weightless but for a different reason; the entire run up to that moment felt like the first two acts of a Marvel movie; I was sitting there waiting for the third act to begin where most of the people would be saved when boom, end credits!

Thanos was... I don't know. I appreciated the effort that went in to humanizing him, I suppose, but it felt forced. They tried to turn in into a tortured, misguided, anti-hero type I suppose, but I really hadn't seen any shades of that in his previous showings. His motivation doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, though, given that his 'final solution' will require re-application every few generations. This may pose a problem as it looked to me like his finger-snapping routine left the gauntlet (and his arm) looking pretty the worse-for-wear.

Power levels were simply all over the shop. First, Thanos beats down Thor, the rest of the Asgardians (I suppose Valkyrie, Korg and co are all offscreen killed?), then summarily beats up Hulk with little effort.

Then, at the end, when he's supposedly even more powerful, Steve Rogers is able to hold him off somehow? Even if it's only for a moment.

Thor spent most of Ragnarok learning that he is not 'Thor, God of Hammers'. Now, apparently, he is 'Thor, God of Axes' instead. Why didn't we see any of his awesome Led Zeppelin-soundtrack inducing uberness until he got hold of some swanky axe?

Black Widow? She's cool and all, but in what universe is she able to go up against the Black Order dudes? Isn't she pretty much a baseline human? The Marvel Cinematic Universe, apparently.

They threw out a lot of their previously established world-building the moment it was convenient or could be used for a laugh, and it left me feeling like the previous movies had actually been somewhat undermined by this one.

Anyway, these are not movie-destroying things, but it did leave me feeling that this was much closer to Ultron than it was to Avengers, only they left it unfinished. I guess we now have to wait a year to see Avengers: The Battle of Five Armies.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have no problem with Widow beating up space goons. Her combat skill is supposed to be unparalled despite lack of special powers.

Anyway, saw it, loved it, hope Loki isn't completely ghosted.

My only beef was the cgi enlargement of Dinkles. It looked so cheap compared to everything else.

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I am a bit disappointed with it.

I hoped that for once a MCU character would face a problem he could not punch his way out of. Instead their problem is that they can't punch is hard enough.

I don't know why I hoped for it, because at this point we all knew exactly what we would be getting.

Do have to give them credit for using the eventual franchise reboot as a actual plot point. Although the kinda comes prepackaged with making a comic book movie.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Who else was expecting Death to make her appearance in that scene? I hope it was her.

16. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I think the thing with Thor was typical superhero movie stuff, they needed something to sideline him even if it was contrary to the previous film, also the beginning of the film made the happy-ish ending of Ragnarok kinda... yeah.

My main problem was Shuri, to make her relevant she found the fix in Vision that even Banner/Stark didn't think of... I know shes meant to be this uber genius but that felt forced. Marysueish.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Someone tag the thread Spoilers already so we can talk like adults.

Agreed re. Shuri, but there's no fucking way Hollywood is gonna have a white dude talking down to a little African princess genius, despite how stupid it seems.

I very much try to put most thoughts on 'power' aside when watching these movies. From what I remember as a kid, Thor's been super nerfed in the movies compared to what he was in the comics.

18. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I said it under my breath and someone around me said it too. Then Gamora turns around. Fucking hell. They had such a good shot there.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Death as Thanos love makes a helluva lot more sense than the balance argument.

20. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    The balance argument is just Thanos' rationalization of his very grave case of OCD. Man just wants to halve things.