1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WoW Mafia Game Thread

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Jarizok, May 5, 2018.

1. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

If they're both town then we're kinda sunk, sooo.

Vig take care of that pretty please.

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed on Miner's slot, those interactions were pretty bad even by my standards.

I think I do agree with you on swapping Vaimes and Gemma in the lynch order mostly for his push against her and 'lol I'm not scumreading her just so you know'. I mean... ? And I do agree about her push on 'you', or at least having him in the bottom of her scum list.

Hrm... I'll have to think more on dC. Maybe run him through an ISO.

You didn't really get anything out of Cobalt's last couple of catch-up posts once he did decide to join the game, or his responses to me today? Hm... but yeah, I and Tammy and dC seemed to reach the same general conclusion that this doesn't really feel like scum!Cobalt.

Agreed on Vaimes. I've said as much that he hasn't quite felt right and that's part of why I townleaned Tammy earlier on for noting the same general 'offness' Vaimes had at DayStart.

RNG is RNG. And Jarizok had to reroll folks once. Though you said something similar about a Fluff/Tammy team way back when, specifically being improbable.

I'd like to protest here but you did catch me out from post 1 of RWBYMafia so... on the flipside, if you're scum, it's been all too easy to shift your opinion on me away from 'he's either town or scum that'll burn out soon'. That has bugged me just how soon you started going more into 'Zen's town' toDay. And to be fair, I really doubt there's anything you can say to get me to stop doubting you on the back of my mind.

Other than each other most likely? I know 'you' is townreading lulz for no explainable reason so far.

Would you care to swap votes now or do you plan on waiting a while longer and see if Gemma digs herself a ditch?

3. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Eh? Your town meta is very clear, and eventually, you're going to take advantage of it. Such is life.

Personally I don't think it's this game. I just don't want to lock in too many reads because trying to talk yourself out of confbiasing later is a real bitch.
    --- Post automerged ---
    At this point, it's just a matter of which wagon town can agree on. I want to townread Gemma, but my god if her treatment of me hasn't driven me bonkers.

I think I'm gonna go into Night accepting that I'm misreading someone and just deal with it after the NK. No point in tinfoiling literally every possible world now.
    --- Post automerged ---
    n e way, I'm out

4. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Despite working on that town meta for what, four, five games, once I pulled scum in RWBYMafia it all fell to pieces. Like I said before to dC I think it was in this game, genuinely not knowing who is who is a hell of a lot easier than actively knowing someone is town and trying to lie about how to reach a town conclusion on them or otherwise.

So my roundabout point is that I just don't like how quickly you progressed on me being town. And I'm not greatly pleased that you're sticking on Gemma right now. I get being frustrated with her since she's flat out refused to respond to me(I suppose that would be a blessing for you) a day ago but even so. On the other hand we don't need to lynch in the next five minutes. I'd be happier with you not waiting until DayEnd to swing into 'you'.

On that note, didn't you bail on the lulz wagon once he quit the Day? You did present a point about it not being a scum mindset move or somesuch. Hm...

I'm heading out as well at this point. Probably get back to the game in about 10 or 11 hours.
    --- Post automerged ---
    *swing onto.

5. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I liked your early posts, mostly I liked their tone, this is a really silly thing but I thought it was towny that you said "imo" because I don't remember you using that ever in your scumgames and it felt like a natural expression. I also liked that you weren't afraid of poking back at Tammy, she's scary when you're scum and you didn't seem afraid of her at all.

Then I liked that you were going to make an actual content post that early while interacting with people because that's harder to do in combination when you're mafia. In the actual post I liked your Zenzao take but I didn't like your Tammy take. Overall I liked your thread presence enough to townread you. It was a page 1 read.

You can. There are other things you can read into, like gamestate, tone, the other player's content, the rest of the player in question's content, you're only really limited by your creativity and time. If you couldn't then how would you ever read anyone's alignment beyond hard tells if you hadn't played with them before? I don't think this line of argumentation is going to be fruitful for us to pursue because I think you just disagree and aren't really appreciating my perspective on this.

Because I usually sort people better when they push on me. It tends to become clear pretty quickly whether they're mafia or just bad town and it's helpful to see how other people respond to it as well. It doesn't help me at all if everyone just townreads me, there's no information in that.

I voted you because you did several things I thought were scummy. That you didn't have any read on me was one of them. I didn't expect you to hard townread me instantly but I did expect you to comment on how different I was at the start of this game compared to last game. Instead of noting how lively I was or some such you just said I was "eh" which didn't make any sense to me at all. Especially after our exchange I felt like you should definitely have something to say about me.

It felt especially bad considering the rest of the gamestate. Zenzao was pushing on me, I wasn't spewed town or anything, so as mafia you had no real need to townread me or else look badly for not doing so. So that was another reason why I felt like there was more potential for your lack of a read on me to be scum motivated.

I didn't like your other reads. You weren't bleeding town in your gamesolving like I've seen you do in your towngames and your reads were really thin. You felt lively in interactions but it didn't show at all in your solving. After you posted your thing with four townreads and no real scumreads and made the post where you gave that take on lulz I mostly lost my townread on you.

dC was part of it because he disagreed with my read and I felt less confident, probably especially so because of our first game where I didn't know your meta at all and cleared you stupidly. The "sentence is death" thing reminded me a lot of the same thing you said in Princess and it felt like you were going with threadflow. I also thought that take on lulz was really shallow and it didn't make sense to me.

The lulz read is mostly where I felt most that you were going with what other people were saying. It was also that you weren't really pushing anything outside of that. You didn't seem to have reads you felt strongly about and you were just kind of existing in thread and being unmemorable.

I'm allowed to do whatever I want.

I wasn't demanding a strong read. I wasn't "demanding" anything.

That's not the point.

Explain how that is a scum overreaction? I didn't know there was even such a thing? What's the difference between a town one and a scum one? I was aware you were using a turn of phrase, that isn't relevant. You said you were going to need to see a lot to overcome your scumread, suggesting you have a strong scumread. That's what I was responding to.

I don't know why you'd think I would read you saying that someone would have to do a lot to make you change your mind that they are scum any other way. I wasn't saying that you were guaranteeing his flip at all. I said that you wanted to lynch him. "something I can't really get over without lots of good reasons" is your exact wording. That reads like you want to lynch him.

Why is it so bad that I read it that way?

Okay? That was an honest expression of confusion and I was trying to help you see that you were misreading things. I don't know why you're rolling your eyes that I want to be understood by you?

You're misreading that if you think that's how I meant it. I wasn't saying that as an argument that I should be townread. I was saying that I felt that I have been really town and am surprised that you don't see it at all. There's a very meaningful difference.

Just because my read is a null read that doesn't mean I don't have a read. I said a lot of stuff about you and don't know where to place you after it all, so it means you're null. You didn't say anything. I don't get why you're conflating the two.

I am really really surprised that you don't think I'm trying to talk to you.

I haven't been pushing you, I've been scumhunting you. I don't understand how you think it's scummy of me to try to figure out your alignment without having a solid read on you. I even said at the start of the game that I didn't think I'd be able to have a solid read on you until day 2/3.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm pretty sure I addressed everything so let me know if I didn't please thank you.

6. lulz

lulz Muggle

Hello. I'm checking back. I thought I would have been lynched by now. I didn't want to sub out because it would put my replacement in a position of being lynched because of my error after the mod has to put in the effort of even finding a replacement.

@Zenzao
    @dichotomousCreator

You don't have to take my word for my misreading of posts, but when a person is studying for standardized tests (P&C LICENSE), working full time, and taking 9 credits at college during Finals you'd be surprised at the brain fuzz.

I'm pretty much going to have to read the game starting all over though and I'm gonna have to do it fast.

UNVOTE:ZENZAO
    --- Post automerged ---
    While I don't agree, I can see how someone would come to this conclusion in a 9-player game.
    This made me laugh because there was over an hour difference.

But zenzao still comes off as too serious though.

Tammy still comes off as town too.

Vaimes' 41+43 combination comes off as awkward and an insincere attempt at playfulness.

"YOU"'s 45, looks weird. When people have to leave they don't always announce it.
    I don't like how Vaimes keeps trying to ingratiate himself into a townblock but I do like how he townreads Tammy for why I townread tammy.

Overall null upon re-read.

Tammy

leans town
    Zenzao

Vaimes

Leans scum
    "YOU".

Still reading.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I will say that I'm having a devil of a time getting a read one way or another on Gemma.
    --- Post automerged ---
    My finals are THIS WEEK. Your slot is widely townread. You might have to take a "leadership" role if you can manage it.

My updated reads.
    Tammy/Miner
    Zenzao

Leans Town
    DC-----Ignoring completely the argument I had with DC earlier I saw some things I agreed with.

WTF
    FLuff----lol at a player named "fluff" and "lulz" playing in the same game.
    Gemma Just seems unreadeable to me. Its a matter of playstyle. Focuses on minutia but not really in a scummy way.

Maybe Scum
    Vaimes---Aside from that early townread where we had the same thought process on Tammy, it's just been a lot of nulls and slight pings.
    cobalt----he seems to be taking some reads that are being copied from other players. Little in the way of genuine insight.

Scum
    you

Vote:YOU

7. dichotomousCreator

dichotomousCreator Second Year

High Score:
    why is every post in this game so long I'm going to cry
    --- Post automerged ---
    oh wait I get it

this is penance for when I first started playing mafia and MY posts were regularly on about that scale. Probably even worse.

8. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

What do you mean? I didn't really notice a huge shift except you've seemed to kind of recede into the background a bit. Are you feeling ok?
    --- Post automerged ---
    I don't understand why I'm hard to read.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I also don't understand why anyone is town reading Cobalt. I'm still catching up and maybe I'm just forgetting but I don't think people have given reasoning for that read so if anyone who is town reading him could talk about why that would be helpful. I cried a little when I saw your post about him being one of two people you won't lynch today Zen.

Am going to talk about my read on him more as soon as I can, probably when I'm at a computer next. Ugh I also need to go over my Zen read. I don't know how I'm going to keep up with this game properly.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh Zen you're going to love this. When you voted me I thought you were town reading me and it didn't make any sense. So I voted you back to see how you would respond and figured voting you would be a good way to get something out of you about me / your vote.

9. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    I mean I think "a bit" is understating it...I have done barely anything for the past real-time day except respond to stuff aimed directly at me and whinge about not doing anything. Prior to that I was cracking jokes and making actual commentary. I think.

Maybe it just seems bigger from my end though, like your distress at being scum seemed more noticeable from your end in the last game.

10. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Someone combo break for me!
    --- Post automerged ---
    Wait are you saying you're distressed about scum???
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think it was noticeable for anyone who knows me well. But yeah we always seem to feel like our own things are much bigger than what other people do.

11. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    It doesn't help in my case that once I start getting on tilt it kinda snowballs, which tends to balance out the natural recovery rate. So I just end up being grumpy for an extended period :v

(and no, I'm saying my mood tanked for probably OoG/random reasons and the comparison is to your mood tanking because you rolled scum)

12. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Zen I was town reading you before you pulled out of your tunnel. I was town reading the way you were pushing on me. I was happy you snapped out of it but it didn't improve my read on you.

As far as the jump is concerned, my fluff Vaimes and lulz were so weak that they were basically null, and dC is a weak townread, so you didn't have much to jump over. Also, I had you down there in a nebulous "did they actually somehow slip with their read list is this real" land, so it wasn't like you were a super strong read with a bunch of reasoning behind it. When I realized I was being stupid then of course I adjusted my read accordingly.

I don't think it's scummy to realize there's something wrong with your read on someone and fix it accordingly. If you think it is then you will probably scum read me every game we play together.
    --- Post automerged ---
    (I was joking.)

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Let me know if there's anything I can do? I know the walls are bothering you, sorry :/

13. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    I'm feeling...passable. But I think I'd need to be feeling mega tops to stay on top of this D1.

I don't mind waiting a bit and trying to tackle things more earnestly later, although if you'd like better participation from me one thing you CAN do is provide me with straightforward, focused tasks to complete :v
    --- Post automerged ---
    oh yeah this reminds me in Gemma's last scumgame she was all like "I feel bad for having to scumread you because you're nice" and in this game no such compunctions were present

...and I actually think that this is a towntell :v

14. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I'm glad that I actually give you things to do to help you make your alignment more clear unlike last game. I wanted to help you but I couldn't because you were already too town. I'm having trouble keeping up as well and I feel like I've missed so much in the chaos of everything that's happened. I'm really worried about "you" as well because I know that regardless of their alignment they are probably feeling terrible about this game right now but I'm not really sure how to help them.

Here's a task if you want one. Could you go through your reads one by and one and separate them into a few different categories for me? The first category should contain slots that you think are town. The second category should contain slots that you think might be town but you're not sure. The third category should contain slots that you want to prioritize sorting out. The fourth category should contain slots that you think might be scum. There might be overlap between the third category and any of the other categories, which is fine.

After that, try to think about the things that you care about most that each slot has done that has led you to put them in the category that they are in. Or in the case of the third category, why they are a priority for you. Try to organize it and make it neat and pretty and everything and spend some time on it, revise it a bit, then post it when you think it represents where your head is at right now accurately.

For me, for instance, a quick meatless version for me would be,

1: Miner, Zenzao, dC
    2: fluff, Vaimes
    3: fluff, Vaimes, Cobalt
    4: Cobalt, you

And the first thing I notice is that I haven't put lulz anywhere, I don't know what that means but it's interesting. And the next thing I notice is that right now I care the most about sorting out my nulls. Which means I'm in a pretty good position for day 1, I think? I guess I already have a townblock that I'm comfortable with when I put it to paper.

Basically I feel like even if you don't end up with confident reads or a really solid sense of what your read on each player is, if you have them separated out in a way that will let you figure out a basic approach to the game then that is more important than your read on any individual player. I know you tend to PoE off your townreads, so you should try to start working towards finding out what your town block looks like and who you might consider including in that.

This post is probably too long for you.

But I think the task is straightforward? If it's not then say so and I can simplify it further I think. Or write a tl;dr version.

15. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Anyone around?

16. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

No.

You?

I just finished work and I'm catching up.

17. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Nope, this is a bot. beep

18. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    OH SHIT ITS SKYNET LYNCH IT WITH FIRE

(@Gemma --- That should be fine, thank you. I'll hop on it in a bit.)

19. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Once you've caught up, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on a few things.

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Really?

I mean, really?

I'm so done with this game.