1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite pairing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 10, 2017.

1. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

lol why?

2. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Now how did we get from here to here? Does anyone actually argue that Hermione is conservative in any sense? I think the word they're looking for is prudish in that case, because she seems to be just as ignorant to actual politics as the author that wrote her.

"I'm so Progressive, the government should really help these house elves I want to put on the street by giving them clothes. What? Me help them? Are you kidding me, I don't have time for that, but I will donate millions of pounds to keep Scotland tethered to their oppressive Empire."

I don't think it works even in theory unless it's a 'need' relationship. I don't see how Harry and Hermione could work from day one outside of an accidental one-night stand, their personalities and world views are just too different. And it seems that Harry has adapted to the more 'conservative' world view of the Magical World (which isn't even that conservative as Muggleborns can become Minister for Magic) whereas Hermione constantly wants to change it.

3. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

Because of her inner qualities, which she has in spades due to her Mary Sue status. She has many inner qualities that would be considered desirable for a life partner - compassion, empathy, self-sacrifice, etc. Hermione stuck with Harry to the bitter end, and aside from 6th year, she was a tremendous friend for Harry.

She sacrificed much for his sake, yet to Harry she was an annoying nag he became friends with out of pity.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh, they are incompatible - I speak more if the fact that he never even considered her as a romantic partner. She wasn't pretty enough for such thoughts to even occur to him.

4. TheLazyReader

I'll only direct you to Taure and Vlad's posts. But if that is not enough, tell me, how does that entitle her to Harry's love? I mean, he might not just like her personality that much. I know I don't.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    We didn't read the same Hermione.

Compassion and Empathy are two traits she is very short on. When she:

- Humiliates Ron publicly re: Wingardium Leviosa.
    - Lolol well u couldn't have known it was referring to yur pet rabbit, now could u
    - Crookshanks possibly eating Scabbers
    - Going behind Harry's back with the broom stick
    - Going behind Harry's back with the DA
    - How she initially treats Luna
    - Literally everything she does in book six
    - Erasing her parents' memories

As I've said before, the universal morality of canon always bends such that in the end, it turns out okay or Hermione was technically right or everyone acknowledges some other fuckup (or just ignores hers). But none of that changes the fact she does these things without knowing the conclusion. She didn't know that Scabbers was Pettigrew when she just dismissed Ron's very legitimate concerns. That the Broomstick did come from Sirius or the HBP was Snape doesn't negate the way she went about handling them.

I like Hermione's character tbh, I just wish someone in canon would eventually stand up to her. But the fact nobody wants to date her (except an internationally renowned athlete, apparently) isn't because of her looks.

6. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

Oh, they are incompatible - I speak more if the fact that he never even considered her as a romantic partner. She wasn't pretty enoug
    It doesn't, but the fact that he took her sacrificsst for granted, and the fact that he never even considered her as a romantic partner, points to a side of Harry many of us are hesitant to acknowledged

7. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Hermione is written as a wish-fulfillment for Rowling, she will never be put in her place because Rowling doesn't believe that she can ever be wrong. It's like when someone writes the OP Super Harry that gets a Harem so big that Issei would be jealous (only with less reason and sense, somehow), yet Harry is just like them in real life, anti-social, thinks reading magical course work is as easy as reading fictional novels made for children etc... Of course Rowling does this in a more subtle way than our wonderful friends at Indy!Harry.co do, but it's the same general intent. Only student in recent history to get a time turner and still had a hard time keeping it a secret.
    --- Post automerged ---
    But he did consider her a romantic partner? At least in the back of his head at some point. Hence Harry stating that he always viewed their relationship more as a brother-sister thing when Ron's Horcrux vision appears in DH, it's likely that Harry HAS reflected on all of this but Rowling does more telling than showing because she doesn't really get how males work. We don't just see someone and get a rising urge of 'love' in our chest, we see someone and become obsessed with them, the very idea of them.

Asking why Harry never suddenly started loving Hermione is like asking you why you don't start suddenly loving your mother or sister, it's gross and not something you think about to begin with.

8. TheLazyReader

You are treating as if the things she did for him should have warranted his attraction to her, otherwise he took them for granted. I don't see how. Just because someone might be of great help to you, doesn't mean that makes their personality attractive to you. That's now how it works.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    WhiteKnightism, but with the sexes reversed. Deeds done retroactively merit sexual attraction.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  10. Mickey

Mickey Squib

Exactly Harry can have any girl he wants. If anything she is below Harry's league.

11. ZappAttack

ZappAttack Squib

High Score:
    Personally, I am a fan of Harry/Daphne because Daphne is a clean slate. There is almost nothing we know about her except that she is a Slytherin. As a writer, it gives you immense liberty to write her whatever way you want while still staying somewhat canon.

12. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't believe this thread has gone to 12 pages. But I'm just gonna add fuel to the fire.
    At that point, you're better off just writing an OC.

The fanon portrayal of Daphne where they try to fit her into canon is always laughable. They make her out to be the head honcho of Slytherin who Malfoy lusts after but is also afraid of. If that were true, she would have been mentioned a lot more in the books.

To be fair though, Daphne is one of those minor characters who most writers have kind of just agreed on her personality. I mean, yeah they kind of copied off each other but it gives her a weirdly consistent character. Best way I can explain it is that her personality is the most canon fanon.

13. TheLazyReader

Also, wasn't she the one who screamed when Harry fell out of his broom because of the Dementors in the third book? I doubt an 'Ice Queen' would lose her composure that easily. The most common fanon characterization of her is simply wrong.

14. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think she was actually even mentioned until Order of the Phoenix. And even then all we knew about her was that she walked through a door.

15. TheLazyReader

Yes, you are right. Don't know where I took that from. Back to shipping Daphne/Harry then.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  16. ZappAttack

ZappAttack Squib

High Score:
    Daphne is one of the most fan developed character but one does not have to strictly follow the ice queen nonsense. I have read some really well developed characterizations of her over the years.

17. Harrylover

Harrylover Banned

Harry needs someone in his league like Fleur or Tonks. Hermione would be a worthy candidate too if she actually look liked Emma Watson and learned to shut up.

18. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Harry/Voldebabe is the One True Pairing, you heathens.

19. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Yikes.

20. TheLazyReader

I should probably mention Harry/Bellatrix as well. Wonder if someone will ever write a good story about these two that doesn't involve Bella getting brainwashed into liking the dark arts in the first place.