1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Mafia Game thread] What mafia is this?

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Sooh, May 31, 2018.

1. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Mindmeld.

2. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    You're tunneling now. Stop it.

Like I'm saying your read on me throughout most of champs was "Fable is V on meta" and after that game just ended and you lost to me you're gonna say you can read me confidently? What?

Like I get not V reading me or even W read me if you want I guess but don't act like you know my ranges that well.

3. dichotomousCreator

dichotomousCreator Second Year

High Score:
    You're missing the point, which is I'm NOT saying I can read you confidently. It's D1, anyone who says they can read anyone confidently is talking out of their ass regardless of context.

4. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Gemma, Tammy >>> Fable >>> [Jan, Newcomb]

I’ll just claim Masons with fluff so I can avoid any sort of accountability for reading him.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Add font to the bracket.

Whoops that’s the Holy Trinity.

5. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    (side note, losing to you twice means yes I want more pressure on you early but the reason for this isn't "you're more likely to be scum", it's "you're more likely to win IF scum". It's a risk inflation thing that's basically the opposite of the old "don't bother pressuring Vaimes" chestnut)

6. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

You agree you write too many walls? :V

7. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    So we're literally doing "lynch Fable cuz he's a good wolf".

Great.

8. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    oh for fuck's sake I had this argument with caph, he was wrong then, and you're wrong now.

It's not fucking metatoxic to pay more attention to good scum players. If it is, then it's metatoxic to pay LESS attention to BAD scum players which people do all the fucking time.

It's metatoxic to actually lynch people for literally no reason other than risk management. Using "how likely is it that this person is fooling me" as a tiebreaker or targeting criteria is normal and accepted. It's basic Priest strategy. It's why certain players are "self-resolving".
    --- Post automerged ---
    but oh no okay sure let me just go back to what I was doing in the games where I lost to you and take my 25% chance at instantly losing because I demonstrably CAN'T catch you without doing something different.

Pass.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Like, lemme be completely clear about this.

Voting for you and talking about you produces interactions around you.

Interactions around you make your true alignment more likely to be accurately discernible.

I need everything I can get when it comes to reading you.

I am not just pushing to kill you off as the D1 lynch. We have over 48 hours left in the day ffs
    --- Post automerged ---
    also the fucking "I'm not playing you can't read me" thing was legitimately sketchy and it's not like there's anything else to do while we wait for Newcomb to show up and respond to shit.
    --- Post automerged ---

congratulations

you can consistently beat me as scum

well done

stop fucking bragging about it and stop telling me to just roll over and lose to it whenever it happens

9. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    I'm not bragging about it you're the one tunneling me because you just lost to it and yes it is metatoxic to have me start the fucking game with chip on my shoulder for no goddamn reason.

Like you don't realize how much that sucks the fucking fun out of the game for me that I fucking have to start at wolf now because you can't read me.

Whatever fucking lynch me then if you're gonna be so fucking paranoid since that's the only way you're gonna know.

Vote:Fable

10. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

This is a dumb argument. Please don’t let it escalate.

11. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    You're not "starting at wolf". You literally didn't read anything I just said. The end goal of what I was doing wasn't "lynch you if you don't blatantly towntell on D1" or "start Fable with more scumpoints than everyone else", it was the conversation I had with Gemma and font getting a townread on you and things like that.

The fact I'm still on you is because the specific thing with zen early on is legitimately in-a-vacuum scummier than anything else I've noticed so far, meta completely excluded. If I'm still on you at dayend it'll be because nobody else beat that. I doubt this will end up being the case.

The meta part is where I push this harder than I would have because I manifestly need help with accuracy. It is an increase in scrutiny, not an increase in how scummy you are.
    --- Post automerged ---
    oh yeah also

I may be oversensitive about some of this but it's still kinda tilting.
    --- Post automerged ---
    for fuck's sake

I'm going off to do something else, I'll be back in a few hours

If he tries to replace himself out because he can't play with me when I'm like this, force-replace me instead. This is officially binding authorization.

you can resume playing now.

12. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I mean you could just listen to me when I say Fable is town and let it go for now.

Believing in the me is actually a good thing - sometimes.
    --- Post automerged ---
    And don't escalate things for stupid reasons.
    That is my job and I am doing my best not to do it.
    --- Post automerged ---
    No I think his play doesn't help at all as mafia and doesn't do him any good.

No agenda.
    Neither bussing nor protecting of a possible teammate.
    Just floating around doing nothing at all.
    (and being obvious about it)

I don't think mafia Fable does that at all.
    He would always try to do something that feels town and seem somewhat useful.
    He would try to fake something.

Him being somewhat out of his element is something I 100% believe here.

His play makes a lot of sense as town.
    And close to no sense as scum.

Not a 100% thing but her wallposts feel like all filler no killer.
    There is little juice to it.

Yes it is not the classic fullwallpostwithoutspaces to make people not read them. She can't do that without getting insta-lynched at this point, but just because she uses some spaces between paragraphs doesn't make most of her posts anything but long.

There is an offchance that she is town and it is a similar thing to what she did with vaimes d1 last game.
    The thing where she doesn't understand obvious things and the discussion just feels like dragging on for no reason at all (to me).
    The big difference is that she was able to be pretty much on point there, where she is more wordy here for little reason.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Ok so long story short I’m in the hospital with my best friend who probably broke her arm so this is ample time to catch up but my phone is on 11%

Lolbattery
    --- Post automerged ---
    YIKES

Fable is town

14. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Tammy
    Fable
    dichotomousCreator

Vaimes

fontisian
    Zenzao

Miner

Jarizok
    Cobalt
    his fluffiness

Gemma
    Newcomb

Thoughts :

We are only half way through d1 - so I should not panic as much about cobalt/fluff/jari/miner being useless so far, but I am afraid that there might be too many easy misslynches for town between them.
    If Vaimes/fluff are actually masons and that was a hardclaim and not von fucking around then that would be pure gold.
    And explain why fluff is basically a non factor this game (even worse than normal).

Fonti got some townpoints for readig fable correctly at the right time before I talked about it too much.
    Not sure for her reasons, but the timing felt about right.

Tammy just feels perfect. Could use some more solving and all, but she has the right balance between prodding people and having fun.
    Questions about fonti and myself for example felt genuine.

I am really split about the bottom part.

Still hate Newcombs Miner/Gemma w/w thing a lot.
    I have to actually reread his iso later to see if he mentions the dislike of miners before he talks about it.
    If yes, then it makes his thought process more likely to be genuine.

Gemma I just talked about.
    Slightly afraid I am tunneling her for her having a bad tunnel on me early that made no sense and this is some leftover omgus.
    The fact that half the game is townreading her makes me think I might be wrong, but I know that half the game is stupid and will townread someone because they feel likable.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Waiting for that time where you are not overwhelmed with life on a constant basis.

Hope you are your friend are doing well.

You have ~40 hours until you get lynched.
    Glgl.

15. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

If there’s anything specific anyone wants me to look at completely objectively in a vacuum since I haven’t really read the thread, if you want fresh eyes lmk.

I won’t be reading through fully yet because my battery is so low but I can at least throw in some ~content~ while I’m here.

FWIW I don’t think wolf fable EVER tilts like that for those reasons this early.
    --- Post automerged ---
    And having successfully wolfed tovictory with him twice I think that means something

I have a decent amount of experience considering I just came from a game where I saw how fable was posting and also got the exact scum thought process in scumchat to correlate with it.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Gotta save my battery. Later.

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorry to leave things hanging like this guys. As I said in the signup thread, my sleep schedule has been pretty bad lately, and I'm more mentally exhausted than I already usually am. I joined this game mostly so that Gemma wouldn't be left out more than any enthusiasm to follow up from WoWmafia so soon, specifically because of how much reading and rereading is involved, but I intend to get back into things in time. I think there's still around 40 hours in the Day. I'll catch up, follow up on the Jan/Fable reads I promised last night, and offer my thoughts somewhere this afternoon or evening by the latest.

17. Sooh

Sooh First Year

High Score:
    Vote count:

Miner (1): Vaimes,

Fluff (1): Jan,

Fable (2): dC, Fable,

Gemma (1): Tammy,

Jan (1): Fonti,

Newcomb (2): Miner, Gemma,

Not voting (5): Jarizok, Newcomb, Zenzao, Fluff, Cobalt,

With 13 alive it takes 10 to hard lynch.

[​IMG]

Today my choir is holding a concert, so I'll be at practice/concert/afterparty all day. Beru has said she might stop by with a vote count for you, otherwise feel free to put one together yourselves. Might be good to have if a lot of votes shift.

Should a hard lynch occur, please stop posting and I'll deal with it as soon as I can.

<3

18. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

"her having a bad tunnel on me"

Do me a favor and go back and quote all the posts where I mention you and explain how that's a tunnel.

Also explain how it made no sense.

And explain how OMGUS applies when I didn't even scumread you.

Please.

Thank you.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Wait what
    --- Post automerged ---
    Jesus these phases are short.

0 actual wagons half way through the phase probably means something about who mafia is but I don't know what.
    --- Post automerged ---
    If Zenzao legitimately joined this game because he didn't want me to feel left out (???) he's probably just town here because I don't see how it makes sense that he would join to make me happy then start to tunnel me for hilariously bad reasons again. That was already why I was townreading him (I don't think he'd make that play as mafia) and this just makes it even more unreal as his approach as mafia this game. I guess that isn't bet the game type reasoning but I'm pretty happy with it and will probably stay happy with it unless he does some really scummy things.

Fable's thing is probably the same but I don't really have the same understanding of him / his history and such to be able to read into that as strongly I don't think. Regardless he's probably town for that and because of the way he responded to dC and me talking about him.

I don't think dC does that as mafia but I don't know him well enough so I probably wouldn't be the game on that either. It's clearly very real frustration regardless of his alignment. I kind of want to avoid reading too much into AtE.

Jan is bad enough as town to scumread me for the things he's scumreading me for while ignoring everything else and he didn't do the things early that I usually read him off so I don't really know where to put him. His Fable read feels like it could be the same thing as his Waco read in Princess, but it makes slightly more sense than that one did and his read there happened around the same time as mine did unlike the one with Waco, though Jan felt more strongly about it. Maybe that just means he's playing a better scumgame. He doesn't really feel town but I don't really think he's scummy either I guess. I should read through his ISO at some point rather than just go off memory.

Vaimes hasn't done anything that I dislike but he hasn't been involved enough to do things that I love either. The same is basically true of fonti. fonti doing the bare minimum feels more like a scum thing than a town thing for her. She is nebulous whereas Vaimes is a bit more solid and I have more of a sense that Vaimes is solving in the background than fonti, even though fonti has made several nuanced observations about the game. I don't think those observations are anything she would have trouble doing as mafia. It doesn't mean anything that she's townreading me I don't think because she knows I'm town at this point regardless of her alignment.

Tammy did something really early that I liked. She said something about how she was thinking about my game and it felt like a really unnecessary thing to post if she was mafia and maybe not something she would even think to post but it made a lot of sense for her to post it as town and her ISO has a bunch of those little things. I would probably wait a bit more before saying she's always town and so on but I think she's town right now.

Miner's "ok I should start being serious now" post felt genuine and I am now hopeful about the slot but their omgus thing was really bad and the only thing that's stopping me from really scumreading them is that it seems like no one would be this disrespectful to the game/mod/themselves/etc. to basically lolcat from their first post.

Newcomb is weird.

Cobalt/Jari/fluff need to make themselves more readable so that I can figure out which one of the above slots is scum if any of them are town.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Eh fuck it, I don't think I can make sense of dC posting that stuff as mafia.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Tammy/Zenzao/dC/Fable town core for half way through day 1 is pretty lit.
    --- Post automerged ---
    "so that I can figure out which one of the above slots is scum if any of them are town."

That came out weird. I'm not scumreading Cobalt/Jari/fluff, to be clear. I'm scumreading Jari but he only made one post.

Oh I should talk about that.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It's bad that Jari's "hi I'm here" automerge has more words than the rest of the post.

I don't know what Slaah is but I don't understand why he is talking about this of all things.

I don't think it makes sense that he only has that hot take if he's read the thread. I don't know what he has read but that feels gross and I'm never getting lynched this game so I don't have to worry about scumreading or pushing on lynchbait people whenever I like for whatever reasons I like whether other people approve or agree or not.

I don't understand how "or scum with Zen, that'd be hilarious" is what he is thinking about here as town. He's catching up on the game and he should be trying to digest all of that but he doesn't seem to care or struggle at all. The hottake is bad for similar reasons. I don't think his process here makes any sense as town and he really needs to do more things.

He had 14 hours to spend on the game and this is all he had to say and I think not caring about the game and not really caring about solving is a scum thing and I don't think there's anything about Jari's playstyle that mitigates that read.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Gemma

Tammy
    dC
    Fable
    Zenzao

Vaimes
    fluff

Cobalt

Jan
    fonti
    Miner

Newcomb
    Jarizok

--- Post automerged ---
    Yay colors.
    --- Post automerged ---
    dC I don't really know how to help you.

We've talked about Fable and clearly I think your thoughts about him are sane or mostly sane. I've ended up townreading him for the emotional outburst somehow but that doesn't mean I don't still think the things I thought before and it doesn't mean you're crazy or an asshole for not townreading him as well.

Maybe you should just try to put him aside and not think about him too much for the rest of the dayphase and focus on sorting everyone else.

Maybe we could go back to Zenzao since that was a read you wanted to talk with me about earlier?
    --- Post automerged ---
    I have to combo break myself because I AM ALL ALONE.

[​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    [​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    So dC, I don't super think Zenzao would come into this game when he feels so terrible about last game and go out of his way to scumread me. It's a kind of OOG read in a way I guess and maybe I should pay attention to it less because of that but if he's mafia he can scumread basically anyone in the game and not only does he choose me, but he scumreads me in the exact same way he scumread me before, using really terrible logic, while being apologetic about it? It doesn't make sense if he's mafia. That's like the short version of my read there. It's kind of stretchy I guess since it's like a really specific mindset read off a very small amount of content from him but I like it.
    --- Post automerged ---
    To be honest the more I think about it the less I'm convinced that Jan could be bad enough as town to have the read on me that he does.
    --- Post automerged ---
    The way that Newcomb read swung around is definitely a thing though.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yeah I just read through his ISO and I think I'm actually scumreading Jan now.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'll talk about it later.

19. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    Unvote

No comment on my own read (I'm treating it as nonexistent) but literally the rest of the game townreads him so it's not on my head any more :V

tbh Zen's OoG thing answers all my questions about him so I'm happy filing that as town for now.

Posting now so Gemma knows I'm here :v

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I had this moment earlier where I was expecting Jan to push on me and I thought if Jan pushes on me then he's probably never with fonti but he didn't push on me and he and fonti both went silent at the same time so now I don't really believe in that read as much.

HI DC HI