1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Mafia Game thread] What mafia is this?

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Sooh, May 31, 2018.

1. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

That game reminds me of the irony that, while I'm expected to lead here, I'm at my best as an auxiliary player. I find the game most enjoyable and perform the best when I can identify one or more town leaders and assist them in poking people, sanity checking them, and fighting off paranoid town/doubtcasting scum. I need someone else to carry a light into the night, for me to see clearly around them abd provide guidance. With the exception of Reg and occasionally Newcomb, I can't get that here. Instead I'm forced to weigh generating my own content without a town's townreads checking me, or sit back and maintain my objectivity, losing effectiveness either way. I'm a support main without a reliable adc.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Anyway.

Vote: Von

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

God I'm puking into a toilet while this happens, but go back to Gemma's initial read on me when she voted and I omgus'ed.

I think it said something along the lines of "Miner saying that the game is becoming serious is ??? because he's been serious the entire time" or something along those lines.

Which is bullshit because I'd literally been doing nothing but trolling up until that point.

Which is also something that I struggle to do without awkwardness as scum. For reference: Office mafia interaction with Vita.

But Gemma hasn't played with me before (I don't think), so I was actually not sure about that, but Newcomb's super weak follow to that read is Bs. Newcomb should know me better

And then there's also the fact that he blatantly disregards my whole prodding him with "where's my wall?" Shit because I know he used to do like these long catch-up stream of consciousness walls. What I don't like here isn't that he didn't do those walls, it's that he didn't comment at all on my prodding. If he'd said something... Anything about that I'd be less suspicious but I don't think town!newcomb sees that post and like... Doesn't at least post a meme.

You guys posted a lot. And I'm still puking.

So I'll try to figure out why other people joined me on the Newcombe wagon.

I don't like the votes on Von. I'm probably not lynching fonti because that's probably the easiest way to read her.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I FIGURED IT OUT

4. fontisian

Ahahahaha

Uh, try to rest, Miner. I hope you feel better.

5. Newcomb

Mini Mafia #6

Okay, no one read this until the game is over:

fonti, I knew in my soul you were a wolf. I caught you off just that image. I understand how you mind works, after all this time. MM6, that game, when it was you/Jan, and we had that awful conversation in pictures that dLGN loved so much, like communication without words, where you trolled me at the end by saying you could talk in haiku and still win. YOU LITERALLY CAN'T RESIST. I figured it out- you saw me post that pocket penguin gif, and you had to troll me. You're saying you can pocket me while telling me you're going to pocket me. And because I started playing mafia back when you were top dog / just coming off a brilliant WC scum win, I've always had a gigantic blind spot for you, and you know this.

I just want you to know that I soulread you wolf off this one thing. You and I both know I'm too chickenshit to push it, that I'll convince myself it was a joke, that town!you could make that post, and that I kind of already have since, like... duh. You and I both know I'm too gunshy reading you to shove all my chips in the middle, because imagining myself doing it off this just 10000000% pure gut but purely correct read is batshit insane.

But just between the two of us, I knew.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Your RL stuff is noted, but I'm not talking about your post count, I'm talking about the things you're doing even when you're here. While consciously trying to dumpster my meta on you and just like, baseline read you, I do know what kind of player you are, and as town, even when you're nibbling around the edges, usually you can see some spark, some little thing that catches your interest and you poke at it, you can kind of viscerally feel you perk up, even for a moment. I'm not feeling that here.

6. fontisian

Lmfao.

7. Newcomb

I don't think I've ever said that. I think hedging in general is something both alignments will do, but being open about it or not is not the yardstick I use to determine if it's real or fake. For me, wolfy hedging is about tone, and organic flow of thoughts. You have to look at how the read itself developed to determine how well the hedge fits. In your case, " Did I say you're always mafia? No, I said it was a bit scummy maybe I'm not sure" just reads... awkward. Like the sentence is a sock being forced onto a too-large foot, or something.
    I wanted a readlist because you've been hyper and bouncy and I'm not getting a sense of where you're at holistically / overall. I wanted something to ground you.

Don't know. It gave me some angles to think about. It makes me think that if you're a wolf, you're maybe doubling down on bussing Miner after I called out that one post. It makes me think about the strength of my read on Vaimes and how I'm trying to approach him this game. It makes me a bit more sure of my dC/Tammy read. Mainly I just wanted the data point, something I could potentially look at later.
    Gemma. People don't have to directly interact to make them likely not w/w. Zenazo opened this game by focusing at least 75% of his efforts on mind-numbingly, exhaustively comparing your opening here to your opening in another game.

There's a world where he did that knowing you were his partner, but I don't see it as at all likely.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Reminder to myself to ask about this if it's not covered between now and when I'm caught up.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Just to nip this in the bud, since you mentioned it a few posts ago, if you're keen on seeing a me/Gemma fight, I'd prepare for disappointment.

I'll correct someone who's straight-up wrong about the facts, but once we move into the realm of interpreting what I've said, I'm not about that. I don't engage people about their wolf reads on me, or about my wolf reads on them.
    --- Post automerged ---
    More fuel for the dC town fire:

I don't think dC adds on this bit to this post to Gemma as a wolf unless they're exactly partners and he's being cute, and even then I don't think it comes off this stark.

If he's a wolf and knows Gemma is town, I think he'd be conciliatory and/or just not mention this.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It's all about the memes....bronana.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Man this is a lazy take.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hey Fable, who's doing that this game?

That wasn't a dig at you, if it wasn't clear. Legit asking.
    --- Post automerged ---
    dC, how do these two thoughts connect to each other?
    --- Post automerged ---
    [​IMG]

8. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

It is a family party today so I’m here ish??? But still not reading thread from the beginning.

Gemma v. Jan recently is.... interesting? He got super pissed off by it though, so I’m not sure what to make of it. He wasn’t really actually in danger of being lynched so I don’t wanna write it off as town.

9. Newcomb

To me, that's actually more indicative of a villager mindset, at least when it comes to Fablesque players. Like, I feel like wolf!Fable cares a little more about seeming internally consistent / not hypocritical, and villager!Fable is much more "see post, shitpost".
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yeah idk what I was thinking. It's going to be 100% impossible to avoid meta this game.

bleh
    --- Post automerged ---
    I had the opposite instinct; what makes you think so?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Agreed.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I actually think the way dC kinda glommed on to your interaction with me, up to and including the part where he stubbornly insisted it was actually a case, followed by pivoting to Fable in an admittedly somewhat leading way, to be indicative of town!dC.

My conception of dC's villager game, which I think really codified when I read his recent champs game, is that he's continually, at all times, got two threads going: his reads, and how he's been playing. Kind of like, level 1, level 2. At all times, it feels like he's both playing the game, and critiquing his own performance from postgame, but during the game.

I think this manifests in the interaction you're looking at in the way he uses level 2 to inform level 1 - like, the way he responds to your thing on me is specifically "I completely overlooked that you had like a whole case there". He's recognizing that he missed something - level 2 - then pivoting that into trusting you / wanting your opinion on another thing that's been bothering him, a general lack of villagery feeling from Fable - level 1 - then pivoting again to a meta-self-awareness of his own read on Fable ("I want to say I agree with this but I don't trust myself to be not aggressively not wanting to lose to scum!Fable again.") - back to level 2.

That kind of organic, smooth-flowing shift between the two parallel lines of thought is something that dC would really struggle with as a wolf, IMO.

10. fontisian

So, we're killing Cobalt, right?

11. Newcomb

I didn't quite make it to fully caught up, but I need to roll out and catch a ferry. Gone all day, will be able to post Sunday.

Vote: Miner

12. Miner

Miner Order Member

There is no possible way that Town Newcomb would vote that way.

Back to being a weeb now.

13. fontisian

Bitch, no.

You talk now.

14. Miner

Miner Order Member

Rem is best girl. What's it to ya?

15. Beruru

Beruru First Year

High Score:
    This Vote Count Is Probably 90-93% Correct:

Miner (2): Vaimes, Newcomb,

Vaimes (2): Gemma, Fonti,

Fluff (1): Jan,

Fable (1): Fable,

Gemma (1): Tammy,

Newcomb (1): Miner,

Fonti (1): dC,

Not voting (4): Jarizok, Zenzao, Fluff, Cobalt,

With 13 alive it takes 10 to hard lynch.

Check Sooh's posts for the countdown thingy I can't get it to do the thing.

16. fontisian

The terms of our agreement were that you /play/ the game, not just be in it.

17. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

No fuk u
    --- Post automerged ---
    Didn’t miner actually say he would only be active if he was town?

Lol

18. Miner

Miner Order Member

Fair.

But on the other hand, ive given enough that most dlp regulars with the obvious exception of Jan will know my alignment.

And I'm also at colossalcon so paying attention here is in short bursts.

But since you asked, let me ask you this...

When has Newcomb ever not snap-voted someone he scumreads at the end of some long wall or case on that player? Why did it take him so long to vote, and why does he make it seem like voting me is a placeholder vote while he's v/la?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Don't really remember saying this but everything has been a blur.

And also that probably sounds like me.

19. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Vote: Miner

20. fontisian

Vote: Cobalt