1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Lodestar by ShayneT - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Zombie, Mar 26, 2018.

1. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

It's also fascinating that the author Endbringer baited people during a "NotSpacebattles Interlude" which was like 12 chapters ago and seems to have forgotten all about it. Talk about how you can fuck up the use of something as simple as cliffhangers.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah I'm a bit salty over that.

3. SeekingSerenity

SeekingSerenity Third Year

High Score:
    Dont forget to change your rating if you changed your mind.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I actually liked this fic until the whole Empire/Danny triggering thing. After that its like a totally different story. I'm not enjoying it at all anymore.

5. Zombie

Another update, and this time Taylor with Magneto Helmet v Leviathan. I'll admit to being a little hyped by it. But its handled for the most part in typical fashion. I can only imagine the fallout chapters after the fact.

6. Zombie

If anyone is still following this Taylor no sold the S9 and is gearing up with confrontation with Scion? Maybe. Lost her grandfather's spirit after Crawler crushes it and is now having nightmares. Of her grandfather's past. Typical Shayne fanfare.

I don't even know why I keep reading this.

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Musn’t forget to get more Portopotties. They be importantzz...

Edit: Jokes aside I also dont have any idea why I’m still reading this.

8. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

There's something to be said about a consistent update rate.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The interesting bits are far too often separated by mind numbingly boring internal dialogues on the minutiae of Making Brockton Bay Great Again.

10. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

I think the real problem Taylor ran into was that she adhered to the government's restrictions. She had the power to really revolutionize the city and make it a futuristic one (before the S9 anyway), but she always held back because of government regulations and zoning laws. Such a weird thing to get bogged down in when the city is destroyed and she knows about Scion.

11. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Thus revealed is the ultimate power of Bureaucracy.

12. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Not sure I wanted to read about Taylor and Lung running a giant refugee camp tbh.

13. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I didn't know this was on here, I stumbled upon it by myself the other day and devoured it quickly.

I get it, I get why we read it. Magneto is a very popular villain, it's fun to read about his powers, it's very much a power trip. And they've not stuck to the stations of canon, before or after Leviathan.

I read it and vaguely enjoyed it for the reason I used to enjoy a lot of Super Harry fics, and the reason I read things labelled as trump alt powers, even though they're invariably shit. It's enjoyable escapism.

The story is relatively shit, but ill probably read another X words if I find it again after a good amount of updates. I've certainly read shitter, not that that's a commendation.

14. Zombie

OH hey powers don't work past the moon. Okay let's take Lung up to the moon. Oh he sick now that sucks. Random conversation about genetic anomaly that can be "fixed" and suddenly we learn that Grandfather is alive-ish.

*insert joke about vegetables*

OH and everyone knows about Lung too.

Idk if it's me or the author but I feel like they're not even trying anymore. Atleast many deaths and skittering thief made some semblance or sense. This Taylor is just full retard.

15. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I've been following this on SB since it first came out. And while I thought the last few chapters were lacking, this is the one that really annoyed me.

I originally thought that the story had taken a down turn since Leviathan, but on going back and reading it again...

The story just isn't all that great to begin with.

I enjoyed it for its "OH SHIT! VIOLENCE!" moments. But overall everything else is lacking. Leaving aside the fact that Taylor is a high functioning moron, most of the story reads like the author wanted something to happen and then made it happen regardless of how much it made sense.

Magnetos's helmet getting destroyed. There was absolutely no reason for that to happen outside of Cauldron interference, but the author wanted it to happen so we've got this weird moment where Jack just goes straight for it.

The space thing in this chapter. This reads like the author just said "Fuck it I want Taylor to go to space... and to bring a submarine too. Oh let's turn it into a Death Star!" There's a reason people don't go into space on Bet, and she's fucking terrifying. That's not even mentioning the whole powers thing.

So yeah, I'm done with this one.

16. Zombie

I mean I'm likely to keep reading it. I agree that there are moments where it feels forced, Shayne doesn't really appear to pay attention to his commenters and I mean on SB that's not a bad thing, but he also posts this on FFN. I can't imagine that some of the actions he's taken has been as warm. I thought I caught a glimer in the last couple updates where he's trying to address some of the flaws that have been pointed out, but then he did this shit with the sphere and the moon and then this entire segment with the fucking camp and the reasoning behind keeping them there is that "S9 might have infected you."

What I liked about this is that Taylor is so OP she could fucking smash about anyone. She's not struggled with anything yet, and while that does get boring, it was interesting. Especially considering how powerful Magneto is shown in some of the later comments.

He's using the helmet as a handicap.
    He's using the refugee camp as a handicap.
    This truce with Lung is a handicap.

Taylors stupidity and total lack of self-direction is a handicap.
    Its like he's read all those fics and theories where powers stunt emotional/cognitive range, and is like ramping that shit up to a 9.

I'll read it because its a consistent update. I think the only thing that will make me stop is if I just become entirely dissatisfied with the story line, similar to how I did with Skittering Thief. There is only so much out of context drudgery that I can continue to read. I don't give a fuck about the refugees. I want to see her just fucking smash more gangs. Build entire metal cities from the ruins of her current one. Fuck the rules.

Like really? The reason she's not done more than she has is because she's wanting to legitimize herself with the PRT and follow fucking building code? I get that you don't know all the finer things that go into house making, but fuck, read a godamn book and just do it already. Her best decisions have come from not thinking. And she's been shown clearly at this point that her ability to think for her self is completely fucked.

17. Deft

Deft First Year

I can actually read the anger in that post. Seems like you really don't enjoy the story.

I would say the point that I stopped enjoying the story was not much different than everyone else. Shayne kept bringing in these mundane talking points in a story that would probably be better served smashing things up and showing some fireworks.

Magneto was interesting as a voice but quickly became boring. Initially I liked the angle that he might turn Taylor but the second everyone in the story becomes chummy is the second I stop reading.

It's not as common a problem in Worm fanfiction I think but this story slowly became a hugbox for Taylor and her favorite city ever. The biggest conflict at this point in the story is surely the municipal government and the building codes.

Anyone remember the 5 minutes where the Teeth were a concern?

18. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

I enjoyed the first few chapters of this, then stuck with it for the next 10-15 because it was legible and updating practically daily. Haven't actually read this in a couple of weeks though, just skimmed the updates to see if it recovered from being shit.

I didn't really have high hopes from the beginning with how badly MagneTaylor shat on all the local villains then built a goddamn fortress while pissing off the HOA. It was fun to read for the action and the overpowered as fuck roflstomp protagonist, but now it's lost its luster. ShayneT's dialogue can be pretty awful, and they have a shit sense of pacing, going from epic kaiju fight to city renovation with hardly a lick of transition. Like the Heroes crossover, it was fun for a few chapters but it just dragged on forever with pointless meandering and intergalactic trade negotiations and roll calls or whatever the mundane drudgery happens to be on the docket for the day.

No-selling big bads like the S9 and Butcher without an appropriate replacement challenge is pretty lame. Magneto himself is shaping up to be a potential endgame antagonist along with Zion, but the development from here to there is lacking, and so far the attempts at intrigue have not impressed me.

Initially I would have put it at a 3, maybe 4/5. Overall, now I'd generously rate it 2/5.

19. Zombie

They summoned fucking Galatus to take on Scion, after going to Magneto's earth to get some tech and have the Sentinels slow him down. They also used the fuck you inhalers to up their power levels but were saved by Panacea. This story started out good an then fucking nosed dived after she killed the E88. I read all of it, and I regret it now.

Shayne had no fucking idea what he wanted to do after the E88, and it was easily apparent. It a goddamn train wreck. And he's not listening to any kind of feedback and the hivemind of SB just endless fellate him no matter how shit a fucking story he produces.

20. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I read this, and it really wasn't that terrible (being completed on a reasonable schedule helps a lot too), but it definitely lacked a certain something the better ShayneT stories used to have, that spark of interesting originality that made "Legend" and "The Many Deaths of Harry Potter" special fics that I still remember enjoying. His Worm stories seem to just be following the spacebattles formula of take crossover power insert into OOC Taylor clone rinse repeat (he has a new DBZ one now.) In a way I blame the rut that Spacebattles got the Worm fandom into as much as ShayneT himself, the honey trap got him but good.