1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The 100 Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Cobalt, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Why Fenwick Is A Wolf

A dissertation by Eidolonic

The fundamental nature of mafia is that it is a game between an informed minority, and an uninformed majority. This seeps into gameplay on a lot of levels, from wolves creating town reads that only exist because they know a player is town, to a villager genuinely thinking and swirling thoughts around in their head because they do not actually know the alignment of the people they are talking with. This can be boiled down to reads either being real, or not real.

Fenwicks reads, dear readers, were not real.

When I made my large post a ways back I voted for Fenwick with no reasons given, simply a 'discuss'. I did this for a couple reasons, some pretty obvious - wanted to see how people would react, who would just hop on the wagon/sheep me, and who would actually try to figure out what I was seeing, and determine if they were generating genuine reads of their own. There was one post in particular that convinced me Fenwick was a wolf, and Stanari actually is the one who found it. This one.

There is no way that it's a genuine thought that he had, that I was displaying 'rational skepticism and genuine desire to solve the game'. It's purely a buzzword laden sentence that does not apply to my posting prior to that. I don't really think it applied to Gemma either, but gonna be real, not going to look. I know it doesn't apply to me, I was just kinda poking around randomly and being half excited to play in a game on DLP for the first time in like..5 years.

The way his read pivots on me to this also doesn't feel like a real progression at all. I almost have trouble seeing it come from town, but it just...isn't a real thought he had. He didn't go from 'rational skepticism and genuine desire to solve the game' to that, when I'd barely posted in between. One, or both, of those is fake, and that means he's just straight up not a villager.

Considering he'd played with Von before, I 100% do not believe that his opening push on Von was legit. Vaimes was already pretty close to being out of his scumread, and I just don't think it was genuinely a case of him thinking he found scum. Like there are worlds I guess where he pushes Vaimes as town to see if people bandwagon or to generate reactions, but that's not the feeling I get reading through his posts about Vaimes - especially the kind of snippy 'Von and MP7 can eat a lynch' type comments.

He's on an unfamiliar site, he knows very few people, but like. His posts just don't come from that uninformed majority perspective. There was no real attempt to figure out the alignment of people, he just made pushes, and said statements that weren't grounded in the reality of the gamestate.

His reads weren't real, his vote wasn't real, he's a wolf. I haven't been this sure on a scum read on d1 in a long time.

2. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Storytime with Newcomb!

Weeee!

/me finds a cushion to sit on and a plushie to cuddle

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Are you sure? It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

4. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Wow, rip.

No one said dropoff, it's okay Vaimes, you don't have to feel traumatized.
    --- Post automerged ---
    That's okay the Jedi are boring and suck at stories anyway.

5. Eidolonic

Why are you the way you are, Newcomb?

6. Newcomb

Man that is some shitty timing.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It's like you could somehow sense that I had a whole big shitpost brewing.

7. Eidolonic

Despite that read on Fenwick I do agree it's probably suboptimal to lynch him with no opportunity to claim. I'm at like 90%+ certainty he's a wolf, but 5-10% still exists, and being a PR can make people play weird.

Vote: Beruru

I'm open to swapping to Kai before EoD, but I want this for now. Don't think the vote on me comes from a genuine attempt to lynch me at all, so it's a vanity vote. As much as Beru cares about votes and pressure, I struggle to see vanity votes like that coming from her as a villager. So, what's up, Bears?

8. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I mean, unless you know fen really well, it could have been a real thought. Just because you disagree with it or it was wrong doesn't mean that he is lock mafia because he thought it. Even if he is mafia, he probably thought that was an accurate way to describe us, lmao.
    --- Post automerged ---
    You can still make the post, Newcomb!

9. Eidolonic

That's the thing - even if he thinks it's an accurate way to describe us, it's coming from a place that knows we are villagers, because it's just objectively incorrect. It is not a real thought he had while not knowing our alignment.

Yes, this is me saying Gemma/Fen are super unaligned, etc.

10. Citrus

Citrus First Year

@Eidolonic
    Pinged you concerning a question with your readwall

11. Eidolonic

I know you. You always have a big shitpost brewing!

12. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I'm pretty sure that's the first time in my life I have ever been described that way, ftr, lmao.

13. Newcomb

Meh, Eido kind of took the wind out of my shitposting sails.

14. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Why, because I'm poking at your reasoning for scumreading him?

15. Eidolonic

I'll get there, posting about one thing at a time!

16. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

[​IMG]

17. Eidolonic

...No? Because for him to say we were both displaying rational skepticsm and genuine scumhunting, it has to come from a place where he knows we are town.

18. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Ok, then why didn't you say that I was unaligned with him before rather than just trusting Reg on me? You're weird.

19. Eidolonic

Was just something that occurred to me as I was writing that 'oh, for him to be coming from that mindset, he has to know we were both town'.

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I appreciate the irony in me calling someone else weird.
    --- Post automerged ---
    :fry:

Ok.