1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2018

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Not only the kid, but generally human characters. The previous one had cool trailers too, but the film itself suffered any time it tried to make us care about the main characters instead of focusing on monsters and general destructions caused by them.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I never saw Split even though it got generally good reviews. But Unbreakable is a fantastic movie. To see it get a sequel of sorts is both unexpected and welcome.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Split is also very good. I would recommend watching it. McAvoy's acting is...truly spectacular.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. M.Night notwithstanding, Split is worth your time just to see James McAvoy acting circles around everyone else.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Definitely gotta see this. I didn't know Split was in the same universe.

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So. Just saw the new Mission Impossible. Unsurprisingly, it was fucking terrible. Besides the shoddy acting, it was plagued with an absolute shitload of issues. Let’s see:

1. Overly convoluted plot that was retardedly obvious.
    2. About 4 too many chase scenes. I get it, action movie, try something else.
    3. Chase scenes were waaaaaay too long.
    4. Holy fuck that mind bending deus ex machina.
      I mean, fuck. The impossible to diffuse bombs which he’s been trying to figure out how to diffuse for three days, and suddenly, oh hey a fucking obvious solution of “do it at the same fucking time”
    5. It was almost an hour too long.
    6. Superman guy was in it. His acting was worse than everyone else’s, unsurprisingly.
    Honestly, the only good part of the movie was the
    bathroom fight scene, which was actually well done, where we get to watch an Asian guy beat the shit out of Tom cruise and Superman guy.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Christopher Robin was solid. More of an adult movie with a good message than one for kids, but most people in the theater seemed to enjoy it.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This trailer played before Mission Impossible 6 in the theater tonight.

I legit was expecting to see Daniel Craig until Johnny English showed up. Top kek.

9. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6499752/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Upgrade from 2018

A scifi B-Movie with a smooth style for such movie has really surprised me lately. What they do looks really great there effects wise. Low key but convincing. I couldn't even think of a single flaw in that movie.

If you enjoy classic hardboiled Cyberpunk about body modification you should check this one out.

P.S. That director&writer will go far.

10. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Curious if anyone's seen Crazy Rich Asians. It's been all over my network lately. I'm not likely to bother, not being one for gauche consumerism, except perhaps for anthropological effect if called socially to it. The only reason I bring it up here is because of an articlethat points out tangencies to CCP sinicisation efforts.

Namely, Chineseness defies geographical boundaries, is defined by blood. The Chinese government has used this pan-Chinese concept to legitimise the admonishment and coercion of second- and third-generation immigrants overseas who voice anti-PRC opinions.

It's very odd that the tradition-minded grandma speaks Mandarin of a north-Chinese accent, the seat of Chinese aristocracy (southern China was much more mercantile), when the family immigrated in the 1800s and should by all rights speak Hokkien or Cantonese, as described in the original novel. The rise of Mandarin since the 1970s thru government-sponsored campaigns by China, Singapore, and Taiwan has been highly successful and regional languages (no direct relation to Mandarin at all) have since taken a third-class status.

This isn't a phenomenon unique to the CCP; think of the French republicans pressing a sustained campaign to eradicate the diverse multilingualism of the monarchist countryside thru language schools from the 1870s onwards.

Notably here in the film it is the lower class and (relatively) nouveau riche who speak Cantonese and Hokkien.

One wonders if the movie was made with government censors in mind, to access the Chinese market, where maybe 50 non-Chinese films are officially released annually and where the real masses of crazy rich Asians are. If not, it speaks to the weight of sinicisation nonetheless.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  11. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Seventh Year

Don't overthink it. It's an enjoyable fresh feeling rom-com. I liked it alot.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, I don't know, I think he has a point, I noticed the same thing watching the movie. There are oblique references to issues in China, but they are highly sanitized. China is barely mentioned at all as a country. But you are also right that's it's an enjoyable fresh feeling rom-com.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Idc what anyone says The Meg was stupid, crazy dumb fun.

If you liked Deep Blue Sea you'll probably like it too.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Some of you may remember, last year, a series of tweets between authors Sam Sykes and Chuck Wendig where they spun a funny, pretty meta horror story about a serial killer stalking a summer camp - shitposting at it's finest.

That shitposting now has an apparently real and genuine film adaption.

15. Celestin

Bumblebee - Official Trailer.

This film may actually be quite good and not just because of G1 designs they're using. Unfortunately, it will probably make even less money than The Last Knight because clearly the studios decided to have a battle royal this December.

The films that will be in the cinemas at the same time:
    Mary Poppins Returns 12/19
    Alita: Battle Angel 12/21
    Aquaman 12/21
    Holmes & Watson 12/21 (Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly comedy)
    Welcome to Marwen 12/21 (Robert Zemeckis' drama with Steve Carell in the main role)

Bumblebee, Alita and Aquaman especially share the same audience making them all less successful than they would be in other months or even weeks. I suppose everyone wants to be this year Jumanji and The Greatest Showman.

16. Celestin

Apparently, Alita moved to February. Probably a good decision.

In its place Fox decided to release Deadpool 2 PG-13 Cut. I was going to say it's not going to work at all, but then there is this photo suggesting that it's going to have Wade narrate it in The Princess Bride style to Fred Savage.

17. point09micron

point09micron Groundskeeper

Holy shit that would be great. Too bad the movie would be all of 5 minutes long after editing out all the violence and fucks.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I saw it. It was fairly entertaining in my opinion. A chick flick, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it's chick flickness the way a lot of them do. Haven't read the book so I don't know how close it sticks to it.

18. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Creed II actually looks a hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

19. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

20. James

James Unspeakable

Is that Spiderpig!?