1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Slash Fics?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Earthie, Aug 6, 2018.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

No because back in the day this forum was known for being anti-slash. Mostly because a great deal of it used to be poorly written, relationship focused, fetishistic, unrealistic and everywhere at the time. Views have softened over the years but the reputation stuck. That doesn't always sit well with the rest of the HP fanfiction community. Occasionally you get people who come post a lot of poorly written graphic slash etc to try get a reaction from people. Hence why your first few posts look a bit like a troll or a joke.

These days people sincerely into slash are as welcome as anyone else if they have well-written stories to write or rec. They don't get much of an audience here but good writing is good writing. If the writing has problems or your opinion is disagreed with people will tell you so and why they disagree in blunt terms. It's a feature of the forum I like but it's not for everyone.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Earthie

Earthie Banned

Great is subjective.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The fics you posted that I looked at are objectively bad. We have a Restricted Section for NSFW fic if you want to check out well written PWP. As far as I know there isn't any slash in there, but it could still provide you an idea of what decent smut looks like.

4. Earthie

Earthie Banned

I have to say, first impressions, a lot of comments from people here seem incredibly homophobic. boarding on bullying. It hasn't been a great first impression of the forum, I must say.

Slash tends to be adult side, (especially the ones I like, lol) it never crossed my mind that people would be so anti-slash or anti new people. It sucks, if you had in the past with peeps, but like, this is today, not the past?

I am very amused by all this I have to say.

5. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Uggggghhhhh. It's not the buttsex we're triggered about. It's the bad writing.

6. Deamonic

Deamonic Squib

Have you read The Train to Nowhere by MayMarlow? It's decent I guess, for a slash fic.

7. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Strong delurk mate. Congrats on the first post.

8. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    Oh, well, my bad for the assumptions. Still, as said previously, I doubt you'll find many Slash fics here, but that shouldn't stop you from checking out the other non-Romance centered fics when you're in the mood.

9. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

While there are many aspects of writing that are subjective, some aspects are objective. Such as:

1) being able to use speech tags and action beats properly
    2) understanding the advantage of brevity, and why said can and should be used more frequently than it's synonyms
    3) being able to rely on strength of your own dialogue instead of being blatant with the use of said-synonyms
    4) understanding proper paragraphing rule-of-thumbs (such as not mixing actions and thoughts of different characters in one paragraph)

And even on subjective factors like:
    5) understanding build up, which is critically important in PWP.
    6) being able to write chemistry (and relationships in general) between characters

The story "Pleasure in My Torture" fails in every regard I listed.

If your only counter argument to these points amounts to "Well, that's like, just your opinion or whatever", kindly get out. DLP isn't for you. If you have something to contribute of worth, feel free to stay.

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Eat a fucking dick. We're the most inclusive fucking site you're going to meet. We have trans members, homosexual, and lesbian members on our board and have since inception. There has been slash posted onto our library since fucking inception despite the fact that people reeee over it all the fucking time the only reason people are losing their shit with you is that you stink of a troll and you're not helping your case any.

Remember how I talked about baiting? This is baiting, from you, because you're being willfully fucking stupid and picking and choosing the things you respond to. This thread has gone on much longer than I expected it to. The fact that you haven't been banned yet, or atleast warned is surprising. I'm all about being welcoming to new members, but you're not helping your self at all.

If you've never enountered our forums in the 12 years its been around, then you must have been living under a fucking rock if you thought for a minute that any of this was going to go differently. I don't care about your taste, I don't care about you. I care that you can't read a sticky post that says what you should and should not do if you expect to be a successful member on this site.

Its in place to stop shit like this from happening.

I'd say at this point unless someone has something to discuss on topic, please don't post here because if I have to see much more stupidity in regards to "oh, I'm being bullied" I'm gonna fucking lose my mind.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  11. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Nobody has criticised your taste because it's slash. They criticised either the implications of a particular pairing such as teenage Harry/Voldemort or the fact it's poorly written. They backed their arguments with points you are welcome to disagree with.

You won't be the first to have a rocky introduction to the forum.

12. Earthie

Earthie Banned

That I can believe.

13. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    Not the rest?

14. Earthie

Earthie Banned

I mean, nah? I posted (admittedly in the wrong areas) a couple of fics, asked for slash rec's and then bounced for two hours and came back to 18 email notifications, with the bulk asking if I was a troll.

Can you blame me for not thinking the best of the forum? I mean really? And is posting in the wrong area something to raise your blood pressure over? I made a booboo, and won't be making it anymore. Not sure what more I can do at this point?

(Also, you know I can the IRC chat thingy right? I have ~no idea~ how to work it, just so we're all on the same page.)
    --- Post automerged ---
    50/50 on the rest?

15. Zombie

Click the chat button at the top of the forums.

16. Earthie

Earthie Banned

Now, if only I can make IRC on CS and FC work too, lmao.

(watch me post this and the IRC being like - ooh it's you Tia, nah, not gonna work for you, pmsl)

17. Zombie

Don't even know what you're talking about. What's CS and FC?

18. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Collar Space and FetChat (thanks to Earthie on IRC for letting us know) - in case anyone else like myself was wondering.

19. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It's a pretty darwinian place we have here, and it's one of the places on the internet where it's a very good idea to lurk for a while, read a lot of old threads, and just get the general feel of the place before jumping in with both feet. I wouldn't go on a texas BBQ forum and ask about how to make the best smoked tofu or anything, because that's just not what they're known for. In the same vein, there are much, much better places to ask about slash stuff - a cursory look through the review forums would tell you all you needed to know about the few slash stories we've thought were worth it recently, and more importantly with regards to this discussion, why we did or didn't like them or other ones. Hint: it's never actually the fact that it's slash, but you don't seem to want to hear that.

Until you played the "I don't like what you're saying, so I'm going to say you're all homophobic" card, I probably wouldn't have, no. It's like the tumblr version of godwin's law, and it makes most people just not want to bother.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just want to say - and @Zombie please don't take it as me shitting on you - that Zombie's strong responses here are hilarious in the context of his championing "being the change we want to see" to encourage new people to join.

Never change, DLP.

@Earthie - DLP is often blunt and to the point. I won't say GTFO, but I encourage you to give people the benefit of doubt. Not a single person said slashfics are bad because of teh gayz, but because the writing sucks ass. Which it does. Some things are objective and obvious. I hope you stick around if you have enough of a thick skin. Other people might bite. Bite back. Just be prepared to argue your points.

Not open for further replies.