1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Slash Fics?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Earthie, Aug 6, 2018.

Not open for further replies.
  1. methor

methor Fourth Year

2. Earthie

Earthie Banned

3. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    What even happened here? Why on Earth would someone join DLP for the sole purpose of requesting slash fics? There are so many better places to make that request @Earthie . To be completely honest, I thought you were a troll after your first post.

And saying that DLP isn't the home of good authors. Are you serious right now? As people above me said, go look through our library. It's not hard. Also, go read some of the legit books written by Joe. Or even some of his fanfiction.

And finally, the biggest problem with slash is that many slash authors make a huge deal out of the fic being slash. Like if you have non main character slash in the background that's not explicit, I'll give it a read. But honestly, most people here don't want to read about 2 guys having sex with each other every other chapter.

And beyond that, most slash pairings are completely contrived. Tom/Harry? Seriously. Snape/Harry, Wtf. Draco/Harry. Having a fight doesn't imply sexual tension. And slash fics tend to be more angsty too, which is fairly annoying.

If you want shitfics that happen to be slash, ask other people. The response here won't be that great.

4. Earthie

Earthie Banned

I never said the writers here weren't good. I'm sure there are many quite excellent writers here. I said that I don't recall any well known fics from DLP writers (and that could be down to them being mostly Het.)

The few replies have been excellent for rec's. So many yummy wolfstar fics.

Well, I mean, I feel the same about most Het. I don't read fics that have Harry banging some girl every other chapter, lol.

That final point - meh, I can say the for Harry/Hermione fics or Harry/Pansy. Not crazy about those pairings but eh, people like them so crack on.

5. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    And I don't want that either. I don't read fanfiction for the written sex scenes in between fictional characters.

My problem is that the majority of slash fics are like that.

6. Earthie

Earthie Banned

Are they? Because as a slash writer/reader I see a lot of slow burns, plot-centric fics.

Unless you know something I don't? Have you read a lot of slash?

7. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well – it’s just that you seem to be labouring under the delusion that we – what is the phrase? – read fanfiction for the pairings and sex scenes.

8. Earthie

Earthie Banned

Do I? Strange, because I don't think I've ever said that.

9. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have to say, it's genuinely fascinating to see someone who thinks about het fics the way we largely do about slash fics.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Cartographers craft by Sam storyteller is the only non garbage M/M HP fic I've come across.

Everyone: stop being so gay.

11. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Look, slash fics are mostly looked down upon because the vast majority of them is utter shit. Of course there are exceptions and an experienced reader like yourself could easily say this but most of the time slash fics give shit all about characterization, turns most protags into (massive) OOCs, displays Draco-in-leatherpants kinds of silly and bad smut. I mean that's how I see it, at least. Do note that there are also a lot of "het" fics that fit into what I described, like Love of Magic, but I digress.

The point is: most of DLP seeks excellence in fics. It doesn't matter what the characters actually do or how they relate with each other, as long as it makes sense, is well written and interesting. The problem is that this is a surprisingly high bar, few fics get past it and even if they do, someone is always bound to bash it. Slash fics are no exception to this. No need to even pull this card or take it so personally.

12. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I think that's the entire purpose of this thread.

13. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I also tend not to read a lot of slash, as I don't like reading books/fanfiction that are dedicated to a pairing or relationship. Not a big fan of romance. I want actual plot.

Here are the few fics I know of that have good writing or a decent enough plot.

Full Circle By: tetsurashian
    Harry and Tom's souls are tied together. Which is why they're in this endless loop of rebirth. At some point, they stopped caring and just started fucking with people. (slightly crack AU w/ some seriousness) MoD!Harry, kinda soulmates!TMRHP

The Haunted and Hunted Series
    https://archiveofourown.org/series/556531
    I almost recommended this to DLP as the writing is freaking incredible, and the only way I ever saw a Harry/Voldemort work. That being said, the author had to start with a really descriptive sex scene on chapter one that is rather pointless to the rest of the first book.

14. Earthie

Earthie Banned

Not open for further replies.