1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you find DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Jan 8, 2016.

?

How did you find DLP?

1. Recommended by a Fanfic Author (if so who?)

572 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Found via the DLP C2

280 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Recommended by a friend

84 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Recommended off another website (if so where?)

323 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My fic was recommended here and I was curious

41 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Someone trash talked DLP and I was curious

243 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. I found DLP via Google

675 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. gehrevierre

gehrevierre Muggle

Ahhh, I found it because I wanted to finish reading "Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived" By The Santi. Realised it wasn't even finished here, but I was able to at least get a bit more further along.
    Literally just joined yesterday.

2. kwrobes

kwrobes Squib

I was just searching for some quality fanfiction, with both good stories and readable grammar. I found it though a comment on a reddit thread as far as I remember, but didn't join for a couple years.

3. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

Saw mentions of DLP in a lot of reviews while reading A Necessary Gift: A Harry Potter Story. I was upset that the author stopped continuing the story because of DLP. I knew DLP(coz C2) existed before that, but was not at all interested in it.
    Taure's Lords of Magic got me to sign on

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  4. RevealFanatic

RevealFanatic Muggle

I don't remember when I didn't know about DLP. I think years ago I saw mentions in HP fanfic, and saw people make fun of it on some other forums I liked.

I guess what has brought me here currently, is that all my favorite forums are now dead, and I feel nostalgic. Those forums aren't laughing about DLP now, are they?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. nuck

nuck First Year

i think off of one of lord ravenclaws fics back in the day

6. Noble Korhedron

Noble Korhedron First Year

Many of the HP authors I've read kept mentioning it, and eventually I just said to myself, "I must look into this", and looked it up...

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I mean... was the story really good. I seem to remember it a bit? I don't think it was good.

8. James018

James018 Third Year

High Score:
    I fit neatly into the "My fic was recommended here and I was curious" option. A couple of people in reviews mentioned they had found my fic (Twist of Fate) through its DLP topic. I'd heard of DLP before, but didn't really know what it was. (Ironically, the extra critical attention led to me more or less abandoning the story as I realised there were serious problems with the way I was executing the concept. Part of that is lack of time to revamp and plan out the thing from scratch.)

I now mostly use DLP as a resource to find decent fanfics. The Story Competitions are fun too.

9. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

It was the first pureblood justifying fic I had tried reading, so it seemed novel to me. Lack of fighting was nice. Rest of the fic was average, I forgot it tbh. I was into AU fics at that time and was curious as to what they would do with Gaunt. There were other not DLP-approved HP fanfics I used to read. Tastes change and so do people.

btw I just noticed this. What delicious irony, considering the contents of this thread...

10. Thedanialkhalid

Thedanialkhalid Muggle

I try to search good fics and then start reading so I found it via Google. It's is good for recommendation

11. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Reddit. There was a thread on Reddit about Methods of Rationality and DLP, and because I have a morbid curiosity, I decided to follow the controversy and went down the Rabbit Hole. Best decision tbh

12. Noble Korhedron

I checked the author's profile, wanting to know what that fic was like... He/she says nothing about DLP, and seems to have stopped writing FF altogether....

13. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Found it when I was trying to find out wbwl fics. Saw a discussion in here. Then registered after I saw that it had the last few chapters of HP and the boy who lived.

14. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I think that's a fourth of the userbase.

15. Noble Korhedron

Are you by any chance American...? It seems to me that 90% of Americans say "fourth" as opposed to "quarter"...

16. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's not an assumption or association I would make, and I'm an American. We use quarter frequently, from our sports to our money.

17. Vallaquenta

Vallaquenta Squib DLP Supporter

I've been lurking for a long time, mainly because of the discussions regarding fandom, such as Pet Peeves
    I also like lurking in IRC now and again. I came here through the DLP community on FFNet

18. Liv Zircon - Story Witch

Liv Zircon - Story Witch Muggle ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was looking for the HP smut site the Restricted Section at like 13 or 14 I think? and then found the DLP Restricted Section instead? lurked daily for 2.5 years then joined.

Pretty much did all my growing up here since I started late.

19. Psypher

Psypher Squib

I've been lurking for so long I forgot how I got here. This is even my 2nd account. I forgot the logins of the 1st one.

20. Rilianus

Rilianus Squib

I've been reading HPMOR and people mentioned the criticism at DLP so I went to check it out. From there on I've been with community for ~5 years