1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Reign of Grindelwald, Part 1: After the Fall by The.Bob.Bobinson - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Reign of Grindelwald, Part 1: After the Fall
    Author: The.Bob.Bobinson
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: Grindelwald won his duel against Dumbledore in 1945. In the decades since, his empire has come to dominate the world and all peoples in it. Emily Potter, daughter of terrorists and a Hogwarts graduate herself, alongside Ron Weasley, her best friend, must navigate this frightening new world of dark magic, evil plots, and hopeless rebellion. Fem!Harry, post Hogwarts
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13053668/1/The-Reign-of-Grindelwald-Part-1-After-the-Fall

So apparently you can post fics directly to Almost Recommended now.

Anyway, this is a fem!Harry fic set in a world where Grindelwald won, wizards revealed themselves and now rule the world. It's set post-Hogwarts, and I think fem!Harry is age 19.

There's some interesting if unoriginal worldbuilding (essentially the author has taken technologies from real life/sci-fi and given them magical names). The fic is only one chapter so far (the first chapter is a preface) so there's not much to go on yet, but it could definitely develop into something interesting.

For me right now, the biggest question mark over the fic is Emily. So far it doesn't seem like she's anything special when it comes to magic, but that may simply be because we've barely seen her using it. If she's too average then that would turn me off the fic, but for now I withhold judgment.

2. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I do like this fic quite a bit. It has an interesting plot and it's well written. Though it is a bit short I think that it is definitely worth the read.
    My problem is with how contrived the plot is. It wants to be an AU with huge sweeping changes made to the history of the Potter Verse while still keeping a great deal of things similar in order to retain familiar elements from canon, while those elements cannot exist using the established history of the fic.(Namely certain characters shouldn't exist)
    4/5 with the caveat that it shouldn't be added to the library if it stays this length, which it probably will. It's not a oneshot, it's a short wip.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This has been a thing since the mega threads got shut down. Which was near the start of the year.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Can someone rate this so I can get it sorted, thanks. No thread rating, and no substantial review posts in the entire time its been where, >1 year.

5. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I'd like to say something compelling about this story, one way or another, but it doesn't really prompt such a response. Somewhat interesting setting, set in an AU where Grindelwald (?) became the MoD and seemingly achieved his canon dreams: world dominance, with wizards leading the way. Voldemort does also exist. There is some better then average, canon-esque world-building, but with the fairly rushed and not particularly compelling nature of the plot so far, I can't say its library worthy. Oh, and it's a fem!Harry story.

3/5, maaaaybe with the potential to round up if the story ever gets another 100k words.

6. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

To clarify my earlier post, I think it's worthy of Almost Recommended.