1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My Teenage Romantic Comedy is now a Medieval Political Fantasy? - T - Oregairu/GoT

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Halt, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: My Teenage Romantic Comedy is now a Medieval Political Fantasy? Didn't Expect That
    Author: Icura
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Comedy
    Library Category: Other Fandom
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Hikigaiya Hachiman is reborn as Hachi of House Lannister. This is definitely not a game he's stuck in, and there doesn't appear to be any overpowered Light Novel Protagonist cheat for him to use. Watch as he stumbles through medieval life armed with only his rotten personality and a mountain of gold.
    Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...-didnt-expect-that-oregairu-got.552140/reader

Around 87k words out right now.

It sorta captures the tone of Oregairu, although Hachiman here has a lot less self-hate and more confident. Somewhat deviating from your usual "Isekai" (read: SI) stories is that there's no tech uplift. Or rather, if there is one, it's slow going. The story is self aware that the protagonist isn't an engineer or a farmer of any sorts.

Hachiman also has some knowledge of the series, but only in broad strokes, and struggles to change much of the plot intentionally. In fact, most of the changes occur by him doing his own thing rather than thinking "I want to change X, so I'll do Y".

Technical writing is okay, if nothing special. Has a tendency to wall of text when writing Hachiman's thoughts, but in fairness, it's hard not to when writing Hachiman.

No ridiculous animeisms so far like sweatdrops or whatnot, but it does include some of the more distinctive in jokes of the Oregairu series in the beginning. They get dropped as the story comes into its own and the characters age though.

TLDR: YMMV Timesink. Kinda Readable.

I would tentatively rate this at 3/5 although expect it to go down to 2/5 before the story ends.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it enjoyable if you only have knowledge of GoT?

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Literally the first thing the fic establishes is that no, there will be no engineering or canals or chemistry. no for realsies I swear there won't be.

That's nice and all, but is that really what you want your opener to be?

Edit: @TheWiseTomato Yeah. Oregairu fics have nothing to do with the plot of the series itself, purely with the character of Hachiman. It's about his thought process and way of dealing with situations, so you can go ahead.

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. At least, I appreciated it. Because GoT tech uplift with a modern SI is pure shit.

Story is indeed readable. You'll appreciate it a lot more if you've watched Oregairu and like Hachiman. I briefly had this fic in my favorites, but ended up removing it after some of the later updates. I think this concept would be interesting in like a 30k words one-shot, but it got a little grating after approaching novel length.

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I don't disagree. But the lack of tech uplift is not a plot hook. You read the first few paragraphs for a plot hook, and whatever this was, it might have been blatant but it wasn't a plot hook.

Then again, I've read quite a bit into it and I've yet to meet a hook, so.

6. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I didn't particularly enjoy it. That's mainly the fault of the manga side of it and all that came with it than the quality of the writing. Even then, there is a lot of introspective writing, greatly outweighing the actual events of the story. 2/5 from me.

7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Definitely a fair assessment. It's pretty inevitable that Hachiman stories tend to have a lot of introspection (for better or worse), and not all of it is plot relevant. It's more "the feel" and worldview, as opposed to anything else, that is the draw even in the source material (and it's definitely not for everyone).

8. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Yeah, absolutely. I definitely felt like I wasn't the target audience while reading.

9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    To be fair, this looks like a pretty bad fic, so I'd say it's a fair thing not to like it based on its own merits, not the source material. I've read other much more engaging Oregairu fics. This took Hachiman's PoV and not only squandered it but also made it boring and ... idk. Worse.

It's what you get from a clumsy portrayal of your MC on a character-driven story.

Giving this a 2/5 for interesting idea but ultimately poor execution in both plot and writing.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think what many people fail to understand with regards to Oregairu is that while Hachiman is a pretty compelling and interesting character, a large part of that is due to his interaction with an equally compelling and interesting cast. Yukino, Yui, Hayato, Miura, Iroha and others are quite essential even if some of their roles are relatively small, it helps when contrasting with Hachiman who is actually not right about everything and much of the series is about his growth in some regards and lack of growth in others.

As with this story, I concur with the general opinion here that it is not a very good story. The nerdy friend Zaimokuza being a god is just so ridiculous that I can't take anything seriously and while I like that there are other cast members in the GoT world, it sucks that the two picked were arguably the least meaningful and most shallow ones. Basically the two joke characters. I like the Totsuka running gag in the series, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't have picked him to dump into this world.

The core premise is something that could be interesting. The circumstances of the time and place having a big impact on the dynamic and topic of conversation and action among a cast of equals would be actually pretty awesome. All characters who have their own way of doing things and they clash on that. Add the medieval politics and norms into it and the various opinions and interpretations of all that and you'd have a pretty engaging story, imo. Just Hachiman being more meme-y than anything else and being more or less an SI with a Hachiman paintjob isn't really that interesting or fun.

That said, it's not terrible either, just boring and feels like wasted potential.

2.5-3/5 seems right so far.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    On a reread, my opinion is still the same but I am going to add that the Hachiman-Cersei dynamic was actually endearing. He loves her because she is his little sister and she loves him back because he is actually a cool older brother and he is kinda steering her on a better path/caving to her demands and it is actually the best thing in the story.

The Zaimokuza as Rhellor is even dumber now that I am rereading it though. Like, biggest jumping the shark moment I have seen in years. Trying to think of something worse and other than making someone a pedophile or rapist, nothing comes to mind. It's just such a shit idea, I am honestly amazed.