1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fandom... for authors

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by emosaint, Sep 5, 2018.

1. emosaint

emosaint Squib

Just wanting to say im new here and wanting to discuss books with yall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay. What books?

3. emosaint

emosaint Squib

Well depending on what genre, i may have read it. Hmm one of my favorites is David Gemmell's White Wolf and the sequel The Swords of night and day.
    YA i recently read one about fandom called Eliza And her monsters by Francesca Zappia

I may be odd because i read tons of different stuff, mostly: fantasy (rpg), music, religious, poetry... so its all game from here

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    A few things.

1. read the newbie guide

2. lurk moar -- all other threads in the Chill subforum are about specific pieces of media, this thread is... what, exactly?

3. the tapatalk thing is gonna give a lot of people eye cancer fast

So, what book do you want to talk about? This is a bad thread and you should feel bad, but we can be forgiving if you learn from your mistakes. Just don't spam 20 threads on your first day.

5. emosaint

emosaint Squib

Sure thing i barely know how to work this app... will do. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry i just had to follow anything and anybody to post my own topic which i clearly didnt know which books i wanted to talk about. But i will look at all the options and guides to get whatever im trying to started

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    Link to the userguide for new members.

From sitewide rules:

Emphasis mine.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Or you can ignore Scott and his shadow-modding attempts and discuss what you want to discuss, as long as you do it in the correct category. Whenever he attempts to represent the entire forum is when you should skip forward and ignore what he says.

Speaking of categories, you may find the discussions you're looking for in the Book Discussion subforum. Browse the threads there, see if what you're looking for exists, otherwise take some examples of format and post a thread of your own. The official Book recommendation thread might be up your alley.

8. emosaint

emosaint Squib

Ty i will look throughly through everything beforehand

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Aren't I pretty much a shadow mod? And I only "represented the entire forum" as far as giving a few pointers on what is universally agreed around here as advice for newcomers.

10. emosaint

emosaint Squib

No judgement from me its all good having moderators and such stuff and very helpful to newcomers. So appreciate you both

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @emosaint you've done nothing wrong, and it's nice to see a new user actually attempting to start an interesting discussion. We see a lot of monkeys flinging their own shit at their screens to see what sticks, which I guess is where ScottPress' instinct to push you towards the new user guide came from. Basically, don't be a wanker (unless you can be funny while doing it) and be aware you're coming into an established social group with its own shitlords and cool kids, and you'll be right.

On topic, I was a big fan of Gemmell for a fair while, with my favourite probably being the first book of his that I read - Legend. Druss continues to be my favourite fictional classical hero. His Rigante series was pretty good too, and I was able to get my old man into his writing through that quadrilogy.

Mostly, I'm a fan of Gemmell because he didn't exactly have an easy time of becoming a well known author. The first time he submitted a manuscript, the editor basically told him "This isn't very good, here's why, there's nothing wrong with being a Lorry Driver's Mate, so maybe keep doing that.". From that start he ended up one of Britain's most celebrated fantasy authors.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate to agree with ScottPress, but that shitty tapatalk signature has already given me a yeast infection.

13. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

@emosaint Scott is right and he (apparently) is a mod. Ignoring his words is not wise. I would add that if you want to discuss a specific book or series, please make a specific thread for it.

14. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    ...legit, ignore @ScottPress all you like. It must be wise, because I said so.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

1. Kudos on @ScottPress linking my thread. I hope that helps.
    2. New guy did nothing wrong other than start a topic thread without and actual topic.
    3. There is no reason to keep beating the shit out of this thread because its already over and done with and OP didn't react in a negative manner.

4. ScottPress is a mod of Little Italy and may have staff functions in other parts of the forums but that by no means makes him a total authority. While I don't disagree with his post because it was to the point and helpful, I don't agree with the fucking echo chamber of everyone else trying to warn OP. Out of all of us in here, Scott might have the most right to say something, no matter how much of a faggot everyone considers him.

5. Finally, lets just stop posting here. This is why newbs get a bad idea about the forum in general because there is too much policing from other people. Just leave them the fuck alone and let someone in Orange come through and take care of them if needs must, otherwise, try and direct them into a topic like Scott did by asking what book they want to talk about.

6. This forum is a top level forum and we have book club posts in here, and so that being said we should probably discuss about a book if you post here or have a more engaging first post, otherwise use the books and anime subforum if you want to talk about just general book reviews/books.

I just want the autistic screeching to fucking stop.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  16. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Thanks, I didn't know that. I still think one thread per book or series is best.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    For all the talk of ignoring wannabe mods, there is a lot of wannabe mod faggotry in this thread, including @TheWiseTomato.

OP posted a thread impulsively, without even looking at other threads in the subforum because if they had, they would get the idea that DLP&Chill isn't for general topic threads, which I pointed out. I maintain that encouraging a lurking period and reading the userguide first is a good idea.

@Zombie, my modship is a joke more than anything. I don't think I have more right to say things than anyone else (except TWT). And no one is reeeeing in here, just some practical advice, and then a lot of faggotry after my initial exchange with OP.

18. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Most of that faggotry came with your second post SP. There's ways to greet 20 thread shitposters and there's ways to greet the average confused newcomer, and you got them mixed up.

But then, I'm not a 'shadow mod', so what do I know.