1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Summer 2018 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Nemrut, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Same procedure as every season. Click here for the MAL chart.

As for me, well as always there isn't much that I am looking forward to from the initial summaries but as the series unfold I am sure there will be something there.

Season 3 of Overlord is one I will be checking out though. Seasons 1 and 2 I watched earlier this year and while it's not exactly high quality stuff, it was fun so, looking forward to this.

Hanebado! is the anime I am really looking forward to. It's a sports anime about girls playing badminton. The animation is gorgeous, I quite like the sport (mostly because I played it for years) and having watched the first episode, it really takes itself super seriously with plenty of drama. Sure, one of the two main characters has a bit of a ridiculous chest but she is the only one and it doesn't seem to be a fansrvice-y kinda thing otherwise. So yeah, if it retains its quality and mood, I am looking forward to it.

official summary:
    What I really like is that the anime starts with the third year student having just lost a tournament and that loss having an intense psychological impact on her and having to deal with that sort of thing. So might end up disappointing me but it had a strong start.

High Score Girl
    is the third anime that has caught my eye.

Summary:
    This seems cute and fun and that's really all there is to it.

My Hero Aca season 3 is something I will continue watching also. It did get a bit better although I am a few eps behind again.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Stuff that catches my eye -

"This is a shivering pure love psycho horror story of a girl named Satou Matsuzaka, who has someone she likes. She experiences a sweet feeling when she sleeps with her, and thought it must be love. Everything will be forgiven as long as she protects this feeling, even if she tricks, commits crimes, steals, or even kills, she thought."

This is going to be either good or stupid, stupid awful. Probably awful.

"Muhyo to Rouji no Mahouritsu Soudan Jimusho
    Are you a victim of unwanted spirit possession? Is there a ghost you need sent up and away...or down to burn for all eternity? If the answer is yes, then you need Muhyo and Roji, experts in magic law. Serving justice to evil spirits is their specialty."

Potential. The comedy tag makes me think it might not be great, though. I'm just not a fan of comedy anime.

Video game one above seems interesting.

---

Ultimately I'll just be watching the decent ones that show up on Crunchy, though. Can't spare the effort to do anything more difficult at this point. :D

3. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well this seasons seems to not be looking good, I guess I'll give Planet With a try if only because it's mecha and maybe Zoids Wilds because I have Zoids nostalgia although giving they're riding them like mounts and not in a cockpit is kind of weird.

4. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

This is my 1st post in these seasonal anime threads & here is what I'm going to watch:

• My Hero Season 3 has been great & I will continue to watch.
    • Attack on Titan Season 3
    • Grand Blue - Among the seaside town of Izu's ocean waves and rays of shining sun, Iori Kitahara is just beginning his freshman year at Izu University. As he moves into his uncle's scuba diving shop, Grand Blue, he eagerly anticipates his dream college life, filled with beautiful girls and good friends.
    • Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes - There is an antique shop in Kyoto's Teramachi Sanjou shopping district. High school girl Mashiro Aoi unexpectedly runs into Yagashira Kiyotaka, the son of the shop's owner, and ends up working part-time at the shop. Kiyotaka is called the "Holmes at Teramachi Sanjou," and he and Aoi solve odd cases brought to them by various clients. * Based on mystery novels written by Mochizuki Mai.

5. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm especially looking forward to:

• FLCL because that was an amazing show back in 2000/2001 and I'm excited
    • BNHA season 3 because I'm a shonen slut and YUTS already spoiled it
    • at least one episode of Phantom in the Twilight because my friend and I both thought it looked like garbage and I enjoy laughing at garbage
    • Tonegawa because Kaiji is fucking amazing and that warrants giving the spin-off at least a small chance

Otherwise, eh. The rest of the season isn't probably anything I'll watch.

6. Miner

Miner Order Member

There is literally nothing in this season that I am super stoked about watching. The video game one Nemrut mentioned seems mildly intereseting, but after taking a look at the list I was disappointed. Winter and spring were too kind to me.

7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Watch Grand Blue you wankers.

8. fire

fire Order Member

Island is a top tier VN, so Feel is an excellent studio, so the anime should be pretty good, poor initial ratings notwithstanding.

I don't see what's so great about Grand Blue though. The manga does have absurd ratings on MAL, but the summary and general tenor of the work makes me doubt.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The summary of Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu makes me want to vomit.

Island was pretty well rated, could be good. Definitely watching Overlord.

A ton of new names for me, might wait to see if any get super highly rated.

10. Rehio

High Score:
  11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You Normies™ just can't appreciate such a classic tale in the making.

12. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

SnK season 3 is already turning up to be a disappointment.

13. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Just do yourselves a favour and watch Lupin. Shouldn't need to be said, do it.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Grand Blue - I was waiting for this to get an anime adaptation. Glad it's finally here. The manga made me grin so hard I sometimes had tears in my eyes. It's exactly my kind of humor.

Hanebado - Quite intense. I love it so far, though there is one thing that bothers me:
    What the hell was the mother thinking, leaving her child behind to train someone else? Still waiting on an explanation there, because so far it looks like she simply went up an left without so much as a word. Much of my rating for this anime hinges on this explanation to be honest.

Hero Academia - continues to be great though the immensity of the cast is bothersome. I would much rather have a reduced class with fleshed out people than this amalgam of weirdos. Anyway, if the current arc suffers from anything, it's the fact that it follows the all for one vs. one for all arc. It's hard to top that with an exam situation.

Attack on Titan - given how slow the plot progressed in the previous seasons, this one is busting out one crazy development after another. It is, as always, gorgeously animated. I'll wait until I've seen the entirety to rate the story though. The sudden increase of pace makes it hard to digest everything that has been revealed in the later episodes.

Major 2 - Major has always been my guilty pleasure. I've probably watched S 1-5 two or three times over the years. I can't help it. I'm not even a fan of baseball. Somehow the anime just continues to appeal to me. It's quite the same with this new generation. There are enough call backs to prior seasons to make my fan heart swell. However, they also took care to differentiate the kids from their parents. In most of them you see some remnant traits, but for the most part they're their own people, which goes a long way to make me feel comfortable with this new cast. The kids won't reach the old cast anyway, better to make them their own thing.

I think that's it for this season. Ah, no. Regarding Isekai Maou, I watched a few episodes with a friend and we had a great laugh at the over the top sexualization. But you people don't seem to like this kind of humor. That's a trend I've noticed here in general. And that's okay. Really. You're still human, after all, even if you have no taste.

15. TheLazyReader

This is not natural or a coincidence. The anime sped up the story of the manga, and a lot of stuff (even important things) were left out. If you really want to get the whole story I recommend reading the manga, at least for this arc.

16. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Shingeki finally reached reasonable pacing and yet people complain. And even finally interesting things started happening in the plot and the tactics started being actually tactical. On the other hand it also already crashed production-wise, and we aren't even at the end of the first cour. Well, there was nothing else to expect when you have a studio where president prides himself on overworking his people.

The crashing of Starlight was as expected (due to the desperate search of animators on Tweeter), but also sadder. Well, that's the fate of overambitious projects in the world of crazy schedules.

And somehow from the series which I watch, the one that crashed the most is Grand Blue. I expected something so conservative in its use of animation, to remain weak but serviceable looking till the end, clearly, I was wrong.

17. Rehio

High Score:
    As we're winding down - Holy crap, I hated this season. My watched series swiftly dwindled down to almost nothing.

Planet With is neat. I have supreme faith in the author of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Hero Aca still good.

Master of Einherjar is one of the trashiest anime in a genre that's predisposed to being bad. It's already a tired, cliche Isekai story, but they didn't even have the decency to give it good art or something to make up for how bad it is.

18. TheLazyReader

No one watched Sirius the Jeager? Started strong and got boring really fast. Personally, I think the producers went too hungrily for those not-so-proverbial fujobucks.

19. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I do. When it was announced, I had a zero hope for the story side of things, but the first episodes fooled me for a moment. Still, I watch it for exactly the reason I planned - animation. Based Ando.

20. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Isekai Maou is just what an Isekai should be. Pretty, cute and feelgood wish fullfilment with 50% of the budget dedicated to fanservice. I would rather watch it than watch overly ambitious smug but ultimately shallow and stupid attempts at depth like Re:Zero. Same thing with Darling in the Franxx.

People should stop trying to pin for Evangelion 2 and just do their own thing. Isekai is already otaku wish fullfilment to its most extreme degree, trying to pretend its deep by giving it Angst and Incompetence. That's meaningless if you don't try to create its own, original narrative and give it purpose. Edge in an anime doesn't mean quality.

I'm meh on Overlord. Like all Isekais, its wish fullfilment yes, but of the worldbuilding, empire management kind. Not my thing.

MHA is based, and the best thing ever since the 90s from anime.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018