1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just got back from seeing it.

I can't even describe the trip that was. Easily my best time in a cinema ever. The only moments I didn't want to scream, "FUCK YEAH," were the moments the entire cinema was deathly still.

2. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

GO SEE IT!

It was by far my favourite MCU movie, it truly is a fan's wet dream.

Pros:
    As usual great acting all around. We've known most of these actors for several years and this time we really see them put through the winger even more than usual. I don't wan't to highlight any performances to avoid any spoiler except for Josh Brolin as Thanos who is truly incredible.

Comedy. The stakes are at their highest and yet the jokes always manage to hit. No issues in the tone of the film.

The action sequences are so over the top and creative! This is a new benchmark for Marvel (huge props to all the actors/technical artists/stuntmen/choregraphers). I can't stress it enough: they didn't hold anything back, with some fanservice and sheer moments of madness. And again it also helps that the characters involved are all familiar to the audience, making you extremely worry and invested in their fate.

Cons

The rythm is sometimes disjointed. We follow different groups of characters during the film doing their thing, but the films make strange cuts during some intense scenes with a group of characters and jumps suddenly to another group in a vastly different situation.

With all the characters the film has to juggle with everyone gets it time to shine but some characters do end up feeling underused.

3. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Overall entertaining, with some moments that were done really well, and hit like a truck.

There were a few scenes that were written pretty damn poorly, and broke even the hefty amount of suspension of disbelief that I give Marvel films. Really disliked how they handled some of the characters, felt hamfisted and unnecessary.

On the other hand, Tom Holland and Robert Downey Junior fucking killed it this film. Superb acting.

Also massive credit to the director/producers for the five minutes. Balls of solid fucking steel. Ending was fantastic.

8/10 - one of my favourite Marvel films yet. Would recommend watching in cinemas.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Watched it. Was good but not great. A bit disjointed, but still worth the watch.

6.5/10

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Antman and the Wasp finally made it to the UK, and it was great fun. Much smaller scale (pun not wholly intended) than probably any other film in the MCU thus far - it's certainly not an end of the world scenario - but still packs in a whole lot of cool and inventive set pieces and some breezy comedy, while developing the characters a bit more. I barely remembered Cassie from the first film, but one of my main takeaways from this was wanting the MCU to carry on long enough for her to take up her dad's legacy.
    Given some casting news/rumours for Avengers 4, this might be happening sooner rather than later, but we'll see what happens. [\spoiler]

Despite the more personal story though, it looks pretty likely that its going to be very important for future installments.
    The credit scene leaves Scott trapped in the quantum realm, seconds after being warned about time vortexes, while Hope, Hank and Janet are killed by the gauntlet. Time travel has been raised as a likely scenario for Avengers 4, so this is probably how that'll happen, if true.[\spoiler]

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Captain Marvel photos from EW.

It's good that instead of doing a fake CGI Disney used their time travel machine and got SLJ from the 90-ties to play young Fury. ;)

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Wait, Dumbledore the Youngest is in Captain Marvel?! Genuinely did not know this.

Pictures look interesting enough. Captain Marvel’s suit looks good. I like the colour scheme and it is MCU era-appropriate (aka no Stark-produced superweaponised onesie). Let‘s see what the first trailer holds in store for us.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hold on.

Ronan from GOTG is in this? I generally trust MCU people to maintain continuity, and some retcons are always gonna be a thing when you're dealing with a decade-long franchise, ~20 movies so far, and the source material being comic books, but I wonder how this is all gonna work out.

The obvious question is how they're going to explain why Marvel was not around for Loki, Ultron, Hydra Shield or even Civil War when she could supposedly fingersnap everyone into obedience with her power level, given the emergency signal at the end of Infinity War, when she's obviously available to be called on. I'm guessing she'll have been away elsewhere in the galaxy with her space buddies? Strange is explained as only becoming the wizard around the time of CW and wizards keeping themselves separated, but IW at the very least. Who else would you want for a punching contest with Thanos? She's obviously going to play a part in defeating him in Avengers 4.

I hope it's not some take on Fury going "Marvel is Earth's absolute last final terminal 12th lvl firewall line of defense to be used only for tier GOD galactic threats like Thanos wiping out half of all life, so now we can call her up, Loki and Ultron just don't register on her threat meter".

10. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Carol's costume is godawful. On the plus side, there is Monica's mother, so I hope that Monica herself will appear in CM2 or so.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looks pretty cool. I'm weirdly excited for this, given that I don't really know that much about Captain Marvel - I've read a few issues of her solo run from a few years ago, and that's about it. The stinger from IW did a really good job of building her up with very little, IMO.

12. James

James Unspeakable

I've sean the teaser for Cap Marvel and for a moment, I thought that the actress that was going to play her was the one that played that shitty version of Rogue in X-Men, and my heart stopped for moment.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm more intrigued by Korath (aka Ronan's minion) following behind Captain Marvel in a similar suit. Perhaps the "bad guys" aren't bad yet at this point in the timeline. Or maybe CM starts as a "bad guy". That could be fun.

Edit: After a quick perusal of more pictures, perhaps she joins the Nova Corps? This is their battle uniform maybe? Korath could have been a Nova Corps member who Ronan turns.

Edit 2: Hey look google has answers!
    When the movie kicks off, Danvers will already have powers and Ronan is still a respected Kree general, not fully bent on being a genocidal dick. Korath, Danvers, and the other star suit bros are part of 'Starforce', which is a Kree military unit.

In the comics the Kree Starforce are villains, so we may very well end up seeing Ronan and Danver's team "going bad" on screen.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. ScottPress

High Score:
    Well, that would be something new. The MCU needs an antihero element that's not in the Netflix shows I couldn't give less of a fuck about.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    VENOMHGXBJYFNJDBSNSNB REEEEEEEE

16. ScottPress

High Score:
    Is Venom gonna be with the mainline MCU movies, or a side adventure, like the Netflix shit, just on the big screen?

17. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Pretty sure Venom won't be tied into the MCU at all. It's a purely Sony production without Marvel Studios involved. That said, they cut a deal with the Spider-Man rights, so maybe they'll have Disney bail them out when it's a shitshow. The full Venom appearance and effects in the trailer did give me a slight hope though.

18. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Infinity War director said Venom is it's own separate entity, but all that shit can change on a dime if Venom is successful.

Tom Hardy playing Venom is exactly what the MCU needs.

Or, you know, just Tom Hardy in general.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Infinity War 2 should just be the future where the death of half of humanity led to the collapse of society, and drove the world...Mad. That's the best way to get Tom Hardy into MCU ;).

20. Inert

Inert Headmaster