1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Luke Cage (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Shinysavage, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The show fell flat tbh. Started out strong but then became more like a CW show than the quality I'm used to from Netflix.

2. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Spoilers for the Defenders S1.

We've got confirmation on what Misty's arm is going to look like. Link.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bump because I've just finished watching series 2, and it's a big step up from the first, and a big improvement over the last two or three of the Netflix bunch (except possibly the Punisher, which I haven't seen any of at all). There's some clunky elements, but all in all well worth a watch. Even the one episode with Danny Rand, which was actually pretty fun.

There's an ongoing thread about Luke heading down a darker path that they made work by the end, but at the start felt really forced, and more about needing something to (temporarily?) write Rosario Dawson out due to other commitments than a natural character development. Like I say though, they got there in the end with it, so fair enough. For the last couple episodes, it did feel a little like they were dragging things out to fill 13 episodes rather than wrap everything up neatly, but again, it mostly paid off - the last two episodes are pretty packed with incident and unexpected twists and turns.
    Other than that, not much I can really criticise, except, perhaps, that the villains remain more interesting than the hero; no critique of Mike Coulter there, who's very good, but they really knocked it out of the park with the villains this time. Maria and Shades were always compelling, and even more so this time, even when they're utterly awful, but Bushmaster is a great addition to the franchise as well, and while I found her a little tedious this series, I'm looking forward to a potential villain in Maria's daughter, Tilda, in future.

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Does it matter if I never finished the first season? I got bored a few episodes after his origin story, IIRC.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    They recap some of the key events at the start, and throughout the season; it's certainly not going to make as much sense as it might, and some things will seem to come out of nowhere instead of being a logical development, but I don't think it's going to be incomprehensible. I'd have a look at a recap online though, if possible.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's good to know. I've been avoiding it because the first season was such a slog.

Just watched the first ep. My main beef is that Rosario Dawson and Mike Colter still have zilch romantic chemistry.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I am not very familiar with the source material for any of the netflix shows, so I can't speak toward the faithfulness to any comic book similarities, but for my money Punisher was by far the best of the Netflix Marvel bunch, with Daredevil coming in second, mostly because of the S2 Punisher arc and Fisk. Jessica Jones is the least likeable character in the MCU, Iron Fist we don't need to say much more about, and Luke Cage is basically so overpowered it's boring, although I like the guy playing him and most of the rest of the main cast.

8. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Luke Cage cancelled after 2 seasons. Pretty surprising, in my opinion. Some people have speculated they're trying to set up a Heroes for Hire show with Iron Fist, but I'm not sure how that would work with Disney starting their own streaming service.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Now that actually is surprising, I saw Iron Fist being cancelled from a mile off but I was sure they were going to do at least a couple more seasons of Luke Cage.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That sucks. I'd much rather they cancel JJ S3, especially after how bad S2 was.