1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Anticlockwise by Sorrows - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Nerdman3000, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Title: Anticlockwise
    Author: Sorrows
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Horror
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: Terrible things happen when wizards meddle with time. Harry is not himself. Hermione will come to regret investigating the reason why.
    WbA Link: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/anticlockwise-sorrows-time-travel.37879/
    FF Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13022207/1/Anticlockwise

I was slightly hesitant to post this as a review this early because so far it's only three chapters, but I felt this was simply too good of a story to pass up and put up as a review. I won't spoil too much of the story, but the premise, it's it's most basic, non-spoilery form, is it's a time travel fic in third year, through the POV of Hermione Granger, who is not herself a time traveler, or at least, no more than she was in canon PoA.

Honestly, the story just caught my attention by how good it was. That and @Sorrow seems to be trying to stick to book canon and book characterizations as much as he can.

5/5.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems this is a case of someone stealing a story from WbA. I don't tend to go there, so I didn't even realize. If a moderator such as @Sesc please delete this thread.

Sorry about that @Sorrows.

SECOND EDIT: Never mind, I'm just going to reedit this review to credit and link to the actual author, @Sorrows, and her WbA page, since the story I think is still worthy of being in the library.

THIRD EDIT: Never mind. Seems like I was pranked. :rolleyes: It was @Sorrows all along!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

None of you should read it. It's the worstest story ever. -1/5 stars. The author is a hack.

3. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I'm confused. What did he do exactly?

EDIT: Never mind. Seems he stole this from your Work by Author @Sorrows.

4. Sorrows

They're just the worst. Ask anyone.

5. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Yeah, sorry about that again @Sorrows. I don't usually go to WbA at all, so I genuinely didn't know this was just a stolen fanfic. Still, my 5/5 for your story still stands however and I do believe your story @Sorrows is absolutely worthy of review in the Library.

6. omnipotentatus

omnipotentatus Second Year

Have you changed the link in your OP @Nerdman3000? If not, Sorrows is just trolling you, it is her that published it on FF.net.

7. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Is it? Now I'm deathly confused. @Sorrows, is this true?

EDIT: You know what, I'm just going to edit the review to @Sorrows WbA, just in case.

8. omnipotentatus

Look at the links in Sorrows' signature and the link in your OP, the author profiles are the same.

9. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

It links to her WbA story, yes. But I link I originally put was from fanfiction.net and the author has a different name. I would like clarification from @Sorrows on this.

10. omnipotentatus

Not that link, the one to ff.net at the Casscade author, that's the same author profile that Sorrows links to in the Perfectly Normal and Whelped stories in her signature.
    Edit: In any case sorry for cluttering this thread with this diversion.

11. Sorrows

I'm just trolling you man. My ff.net name is Casscade. You can link that version of the story too.

That came out funnier than I expected, I didn't even think to make it seem like I was stealing my own story.

12. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Oh well then. It seems all this worry on my part and I good and honest to god got pranked by @Sorrows. o_O

It's fine. The whole thing is actually kind of humorous now that I think about it in hindsight.

13. Sorrows

Jokes on me, now my own story's library thread is just a big old nest of confusion.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  14. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Sorry about that @Sorrows.

To be fair on my part, I don't use or look at WbA, so part of my my confusion came from that, plus your comment which made me think the story was stolen. That, combined with the fact that someone seemed to give this story a low enough star rating to cause it to go from 5/5 to 3/5 mere minutes after I posted the review (certainly not enough time for someone to have seemingly actually read it), made me jump to that conclusion after I checked WbA and saw your story posted there after I read your comment.

At least I saw @omnipotentatus's post in time, cause I genuinely almost reported this story on FF.net as having been stolen. :p That would have most unfortunate in hindsight.

15. Sorrows

Yes you should apologize, this is all clearly your fault.

I didn't actually one star my own story. Though now you point it out I clearly have enemies... Who better watch their backs.

Ima find u and fite u rl i do martal arts.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  16. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This exchange is the funniest thing I've read all day.

I haven't had the chance to read your new chapter, Sorrows, but did you actually want the story up for review yet? As I recall, it's still pretty early in the plot.

17. Sorrows

It's reasonably early yeah. I wouldn't mind it being up but for the fact I managed to completely derail my own review thread before it had even started. And possibly convinced people that it was stolen and got my story one-starred.

But since that was all basically my fault screw it, leave it up.

Edit: One good thing is it did give me the kick to plot out the next two chapters properly and I'm steadily working my way through writing them.

18. Microwave

Microwave Professor

What a rollercoaster. Can't wait for your next edit ! @Nerdman3000

19. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

This was actually really good. I am not a fan of non-Harry POVs, but these was captivating enough to hold my interest. I had started the first few paragraphs by skimming through but the writing quality and the intrigue managed to hook me on pretty quickly.

So, first things, there are a few minor errors, on the FF version. For instance, you miss-spell boggart, supporting instead of sporting, etc. Nothing a well read over won't find.

Second, I hope you have an over arching plot. I do not think this story lends itself to a large humongous write up. It would do to keep the plot narrow and the writing tight. You might think about wrapping up in 10 chapters (preferably less), which a decent amount of words, if you continue the same chapter length.

The reason I mention this is also cause too much fore-shadowing can cause fatigue. Already, some parts, the obliviation for instance tend to grate a bit. And the non-Harry POV would only compound this further as you go along.

And there is always the chance of it being abandoned if you keep at it too long.

Having offered my critique, I'd only say this was a pleasure to find. I must have come across this before in WbA but skipped it. It was a pretty great read and I am looking forward to more.

4/5

20. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While an intriguing premise, the technical writing and prose polish never really materialize. The story just seems clunky. Still enjoyable, though.

3/5