1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Maybe tapas? Not manga but I remember using it once then never again.

2. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

BREAKING: Hunter x Hunter will be returning 9/22!

*holds hand up to ear*

BREAKING: This just in Hunter x Hunter will be going back on hiatus on 9/29!

You all know it’s going to happen.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As much as I enjoy HxH, I just can't muster up the enthusiasm to care anymore. I never even read that small release period he had a bit ago, and then he went on hiatus again.

4. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Well I on the other hand been reading H x H, and it remains amazing while being released. I HIGHLY recommend reading up to the current chapter for what it's worth.

5. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Hunter Hunter would have rivaled One Piece if the writer could have continued without hiatus. Its a little sad we could never get to see that.

6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I never got past the first few chapters of HxH and half-remembered summaries of the shit that happens later makes me extremely disinclined to pick it up again, but surely it's not so bad as to merit comparisons to One Piece?

7. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Hunter Hunter is still being released, and is of a far higher quality to pretty much all shonen. One piece is formulaic beyond belief.

If you mean in sales, then yeah maybe. It's pretty consistently #1 when he does release a volume. Still, he's releasing 20ish chapters a year at the moment so it's moving along at reasonable clip.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Rehio

High Score:
    One Piece is the greatest and anyone who disagrees is knocked right off the nakama list.

9. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Been years so all I vaguely recall of the story is the VR game that was actually an island and something about ants(I think) that went on for ages.

10. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I can't think of a worse nakama list to be on. Has the Dressrosa arc finished yet?

Chimera ant arc finisher was amazing, now the authors pivoted into Game of thrones.

11. Rehio

High Score:
    A long time ago. We've been to Zou, the Elephant Island, and now we're on to Wano to be Samurai.

12. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Let me spoil it for you:
    There's a tragedy that's overdone.
    A person in a position of power turns out to be super evil.
    Fights left and right, plenty of panels dedicated to watching open mouthed.
    Luffy gets serious!
    Luffy wins but is badly injured, they eat a lot of food to party.

13. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I want to resurrect this post (from 2016!) to second this recommendation. I've just gotten through all the chapters, and can I say one rarely comes across a female protagonist who is so fully fleshed out in all her complicated, messy human heroism and worth reading. Highly, highly recommend. The only unfortunate aspect are the legal entanglements the author's had with her studio -- since gone independent -- which places the story on hiatus for the time being. But if any of her other works are like this, I'd sure like to follow.

Other, more recent reccs from this thread I'm following on-and-off: Houzuki no Gekokujou, Promised Neverland (a shame the author is rushing to wrap up), Kumo desu ga, nani ka? Pretty sure I've lost track of one following the divergent paths of two martial arts students in the wake of a single sect's violation of social norms to absorb or annihilate every chinese sect in the quest "to be the best."

And now I'm wandering a bit down nostalgia lane as I backtrack the pages here.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll recommend Kengan Asura. (Some sites call it "Kengan Ashura".)

The premise: in Japan, businesses settle multi-million dollar deals on the down-low by having underground cage fights. One man - Yamashita Kazuo, an ordinary and down-on-his-luck salaryman in his 50s - gets wrapped up in this world. His fighter: Tokita Ohma, the titular Asura, who practices a made-up martial art with a hidden past.

Why I'm recommending it: It has basically everything you could want from a fighting manga. It's got great action scenes, it's got just the right amount of stupid to be entertaining, and Kazuo is great (although shoved to the sidelines later, admittedly). Every character is also surprisingly chill - in the requisite tournament arc (which takes up most of the manga), fighters often tend to become friends, even if they've just been triangle choked into unconsciousness by their new pal. There's also been a number of surprising upsets so far that go against the structure you'd expect. The scanlation team languished a while, but now a chapter is being released every single day.

tl;dr Remember Baki? It's like that, but way better in basically every aspect.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just read this and I am loving it. No real supernatural or magical bullshit, it's relatively grounded (as far as stories like this can be anyway), the characters are fiercely interesting, the art is great and the writing is spectacular. It has some great lines that resonated well. The latter half had a few cosmic coincidences that were a bit hard to believe, but while it was a bit eye rolling it wasn't enough to make me check out or anything.

Super sad to hear about the hiatus though.

16. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    It's some sort of wuxia, right?

17. Nemrut

High Score:
    Not as I understand wuxia. There is no cultivation or anything like that, unless I have a wrong perception of the genre.

More about character interaction, personal growth and politics.

18. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    @Nemrut Not all wuxia have cultivation. Case in point the most well known (I think) wuxia movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers don't feature it. They just have some super martial techniques.

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    If anyone wants to read a delightful and simply fun manga, SPY X FAMILY is a really good one. A spy needs to pass as a family man for his mission so he acquires a wife and daughter. What he doesn't know is that his new wife is an assassin and the daughter a psychic. The wife also doesn't know her new husband is a spy or that the new daughter is a psychic. The daughter knows everything and is loving every second of it. A short but very charming read.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read Promised Neverland while traveling on buses/trains during my recent vacation.

It came highly recommended from a friend who typically has the best recs, but while I did enjoy it I was also a bit underwhelmed after how much he had hyped it. My primary criticisms are to do with the pacing. It's paced like a suspense that verges into thriller territory, which is great, but there aren't enough lulls to let the reader take a breath imo. My friend insists that I only feel this way because I read it one fell swoop instead of following it over the course of years, but I disagree.

Anyway, it's a good manga. I've enjoyed it so far. It's just not 5/5 for me and probably won't get there - anyone else read it?

Edit - There are some twists that make it difficult to talk about the series without spoilers, but here's a summary:

Set in the year 2045, Emma is an 11-year-old orphan living in Grace Field House, a self-contained orphanage housing her and 37 other orphans. Life has never been better; with gourmet food, plush beds, clean clothes, games and the love of their "Mother", the caretaker Isabella. The bright and cheerful Emma always aces the regular exams with her two best friends Ray and Norman. The orphans are allowed complete freedom, except to venture beyond the grounds or the gate which connects the house to the outside world.

If you do decide to try it I recommend you not spoiler yourself before diving in.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019